Author Topic: New Megadrive Driver Post - Post Your Working Games and the Driver Files!  (Read 30953 times)

kev

Re: New Megadrive Driver Post - Post Your Working Games and the Driver Files!
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 06:06:46 AM »
I currently do not have a working build enviroment . . .  etc

Also, there was supposed to be more text about what some of the issues were I found but the board decided to eat the post. I did have it in my clipboard but I have rebooted since then so here is the generat gist of it:

Take this with a pinch of salt as I working from memory. When I finally have my machine setup to build fba again I should be able to verify most of this:
Most of the graphics problems are due to the way the memory map was setup. If you set break points in every function ( it might have been every case statement) you will see that there are many areas that do not get called and some areas that only get called from one place when they should be getting called from many places. Once I figured this out a lot of the issues disappeared but I really have no idea if any of the drivers I posted have these fixes in. Also the one in the MegaDrive folder was a bit of a mash up between all 3 drivers. It has lots of bugs from all 3 versions but from memory seemed to be the most compatitble.

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 08:25:55 AM »
Also, there was supposed to be more text about what some of the issues were I found but the board decided to eat the post. I did have it in my clipboard but I have rebooted since then so here is the generat gist of it:

Take this with a pinch of salt as I working from memory. When I finally have my machine setup to build fba again I should be able to verify most of this:
Most of the graphics problems are due to the way the memory map was setup. If you set break points in every function ( it might have been every case statement) you will see that there are many areas that do not get called and some areas that only get called from one place when they should be getting called from many places. Once I figured this out a lot of the issues disappeared but I really have no idea if any of the drivers I posted have these fixes in. Also the one in the MegaDrive folder was a bit of a mash up between all 3 drivers. It has lots of bugs from all 3 versions but from memory seemed to be the most compatitble.

Nice work kev. Is it a case of there are some unmapped writes, or are they mapped incorrectly to other areas?
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

kev

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 07:54:33 AM »
From what I remember, some of the memory handlers map areas that other memory handlers require.

I am currently downloading the dx sdk, etc so hopefully I can be a bit more specific than that, eventually. (orange broadband is sh** slow)

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 09:44:12 AM »
From what I remember, some of the memory handlers map areas that other memory handlers require.

I am currently downloading the dx sdk, etc so hopefully I can be a bit more specific than that, eventually. (orange broadband is sh** slow)

Ok. Nice catch in that case. I hope to be able to get back to doing some development next week when I get my bits and build a computer!

I use PlusNet and it is pretty fast - but expensive.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 11:22:11 AM »
Got my computer back up and rescued my files.

Finished off the Megadrive Game editor and put it on my site. You have to be logged in to use it and it can be accessed using the FBA MD Games link under the Tools section of the right hand menu.

It should be fairly simple to use. The driver can be auto generated from the data, so if you want to see more Megadrive games in FBA then test them and update the status.

Please only amend things properly. I'm taking the precaution of logging all changes (including IP address, username, date and time) and also doing daily backups.

If this can be used properly we can get some more Megadrive games in FBA and have some good info as to what is wrong with others.

Offline JacKc

• FBNeo Dev
  • Hasta la vista, Baby !
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 11:57:57 AM »
good news for your computer...now i have to register on your site to access to your MG Game Editor ;p

EDIT : Stupid question...Continue to use fba_029702md for tests?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:22:09 PM by JacKc »

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »
EDIT : Stupid question...Continue to use fba_029702md for tests?

Yup - only the driver file will be updated by this process - the emulation code hasn't changed since iq's md build.