Final Burn Neo > FBN Development

input lag is too high on certain games?

<< < (3/7) > >>

dink:
Tatsuya79, this is a hard one to answer.  There is nothing wrong with the input system in fba, it responds perfectly.  The thing is, every game uses an almost completely different timing method.
I found that donpachi & dodonpachi can both be improved, since they both have very similar emulation code.

Please check your pm :)

best regards,
- dink

dink:
Actually, going to need to look into this deeper.  I noticed a nasty side effect.  Back to the drawing board :)

dink:
Hmm, seems the best I can get so far is 3 frames in DonPachi / DoDonpachi.  I can bring it down to 2, the tile:sprite layers get desynched.  I'm not too convinced that these extra 1 or 2 frames faster response will help the games any - and I'm quite the master of both of them.  I'm also worried that the timing differences might cause problems down the line, because I've been playing DonPachi/DoDonPachi for years in fba without issue.  Anyhow.. my personal opinions aside - what do you guys think?

Tatsuya79:
Well, the shorter input delay is always the best, as long as it doesn't break anything.

I thought it was some particular problem but perhaps FBA is just using and older driver for this game that was modified at a later date in MAME, and that gave better result on the input lag front.

Perhaps it's different for neogeo games?
As some like Last Resort or Viewpoint react in 3 frames vs 2 for MAME, while other games of the same driver like KOF98 don't?

dink:
Don't worry, I didn't give up - I will not be beat.  I have just been collecting recon with rant's inbetween... :)

dp and ddp are very very timing sensitive when it comes to vbl and sprite buffering, I mean, just a couple cycles off and it will do one of 3 things:
1: go out of sync with sprite:tile layer (usually when getting close to the 2 frames of reaction time)
2: go between 2-4 frames of reaction time
3: explode!

if you get it exactly right, it will react in 2 frames with no bad side effects.  that being said, our dp / ddp now reacts in 2 frames. with no side effects.  tonight I'll do the ultimate playtest.

p.s. fba doesn't use drivers from mame :)

best regards,
- dink

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version