Author Topic: Spinner Sensitivity too high  (Read 3015 times)

Offline cgmckeever

Spinner Sensitivity too high
« on: November 08, 2022, 11:20:30 PM »
Ive dropped the speed down to 25% (Analog Speed in Quick Menu > Options) and that is still too fast.
Changing "Settings > Input > Analog Sensitivity" seems to have no effect

Batocera / FBNEO trying to play Tempest.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: Spinner Sensitivity too high
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 11:36:56 PM »
curiously, what kind of device is the spinner mapped to?

best regards,
- dink

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 02:10:07 AM »
Changing "Settings > Input > Analog Sensitivity" seems to have no effect

Tested with a mouse which was the only analog control i had available, it did work properly (tested min/max and the difference was very clear).
If it doesn't change anything on your side then i can only assume the control you are using is not recognized as an analog control by retroarch for some reason.

Offline cgmckeever

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 07:32:28 AM »
curiously, what kind of device is the spinner mapped to?

I have it set to "Mouse Only"

Tested with a mouse which was the only analog control i had available, it did work properly (tested min/max and the difference was very clear).
If it doesn't change anything on your side then i can only assume the control you are using is not recognized as an analog control by retroarch for some reason.

This is where Im leaning towards, even just for sanity

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 10:00:43 AM »
Hmmm mouses should work properly as analog controls if that's what you are using. Are you sure the analog speed changes nothing whether it's at 25% or 400% ?
If it's a matter of "25% still being too fast" then there'd be ways to adjust it, but i can't think of a solution if it's something setup/hardware related.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 06:02:32 PM »
Could you post a logfile?  Also, are you sure you're using an up-to-date fbneo core & retroarch version?

best regards,
- dink

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 02:59:11 AM »
Batocera is a read-only retrogaming distribution, you can't freely update software on it.
Note that they are "patching" the software they build and i remember seeing those patches breaking the normal behavior of our core. It could be the problem here.

Ideally i'd like the user to test our official client on windows, to be sure it's not simply a matter of "25% still being too fast" and the user not perceiving the difference from higher values.

Offline cgmckeever

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 07:59:35 AM »
Thanks again!

To be clear
`Analog Speed in Quick Menu > Options` changing from 100% to 25% definitely has an effect, 25% is just still too fast/sensitive. It goes from unreal speed down to tolerable, but still too much

Maybe I misread something else, but I thought that setting was `multiplicitve` (which I assumed as compounding) with `Settings > Input > Analog Sensitivity` ... However `Analog Sensitivity` has no effect. I can change it from 5 to -5 with no noticeable effect.

The device in question is the GRS Button Hole Spinner

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 09:22:59 AM »
I asked about the version because about a month ago there was a change that lowered the sensitivity for mice when a game used it for a trackball/dial/spinner, and this ended up improving tempest when using a mouse quite a bit.

best regards,
- dink

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 11:18:36 AM »
I asked about the version because about a month ago there was a change that lowered the sensitivity for mice when a game used it for a trackball/dial/spinner, and this ended up improving tempest when using a mouse quite a bit.

best regards,
- dink

Hmmm, from that other message i believe batocera is currently using a version from july, so yeah that's probably the problem here.

I thought that setting was `multiplicitve` (which I assumed as compounding) with `Settings > Input > Analog Sensitivity` ... However `Analog Sensitivity` has no effect.

I think "Analog Sensitivity" only affects controls that retroarch recognizes as being physically analog, while our "Analog Speed" core option affect the emulated analog. It should be multiplicative if you are mapping a physically analog control to an emulated analog control.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 11:34:28 AM by barbudreadmon »