Author Topic: Something I'm working on... (Neo-Geo CD for FBA WIP)  (Read 70041 times)

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
Re: Something I'm working on... (Neo-Geo CD for FBA WIP)
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2007, 01:53:48 PM »
I think NeoGeo CD are like Playstation games.

NeoGeo CD with bad rips are useless because the sectors are broken or missing. Same way as Playstation games.

The tracks and datas cannot be read without it sectors. The images have to be dump fully with it sectors.

I have to say that, dumps currently on the net are good dumps (Complete Dumps), in fact, they have MP3s because of the size the Audio Tracks in the original format, ... I dont know what you mean by bad sectors, because NGCDs are not DVDs or something like that. And emulation of NeoGeo CD is done pretty much correctly in the other few emulators, that btw, most of them are not Open Source.

If you have tried mounting only the first Track of a NeoGeo CD game, then you are not mounting it completely and of course it doesn't matter what emu you use, there will not be Audio and it will seem like emulation is not right (when it is), you must convert the MP3s to WAVs then generate a .CUE file with the first Track (data) + all the WAVs (BGM), then mount the .CUE into a virtual drive using Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools. Other way is to use the .CUE file that comes with the NeoGeo CD game and then, let Nero Burning ROM do the work for you and burn it to a real Compact Disc, then if you play the game now, you'll see NGCD is correclty emulated and there are not bad sectors or stuff like that.

Note: Dont try mounting the .CUE file listing MP3's on a virtual drive because it will say it is not a valid image, the tracks must be WAVs and the .CUE must be updated with correct Tracklist, here is an example:

FILE "Metal Slug.iso" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
      INDEX 01 00:00:00
      POSTGAP 00:02:00
FILE "Metal Slug 02.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PREGAP 00:02:00
FILE "Metal Slug 03.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 04.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 05.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 06.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 07.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 08.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 09.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 10.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 11.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 12.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 13.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 14.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 14 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 15.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 15 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 16.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 16 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 17.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 17 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 18.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 18 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 19.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 19 AUDIO
FILE "Metal Slug 20.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 20 AUDIO

SeeYaa!
 :biggrin:

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2007, 02:34:14 PM »
I think NeoGeo CD are like Playstation games.

NeoGeo CD with bad rips are useless because the sectors are broken or missing. Same way as Playstation games.

The tracks and datas cannot be read without it sectors. The images have to be dump fully with it sectors.

Not true at all.  While the quality & track lengths are reduced using mp3 rips, the neocd didn't have the capability to sync to a certain sector of the cdda (afaik).  The only reason we're having any problems in fba with this is because we're simulating (hacking) in cd-rom commands rather than properly emulating them (or properly simulating them for that matter).

Offline KingHanco

• "Special " Member
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2007, 05:48:57 AM »
I think you guys are missing the point here. Who ever rips the Audio Tracks from the NeoGeo CD must be too damn stupid. Dump the NeoGeo CD fully and you won't have a problem getting the Audio Tracks to work.

The sectors are broken when the Audio Tracks are taken away from it NeoGeo CD owner. You need those sectors with the Audio Tracks and data's all together in one dump. Audio Tracks aren't normal Audio Tracks which are not wav and mp3. Those are like data's which is connect with the sectors onto the normal data's. Split everything apart will destroy the sectors and made the game into bad dump which you will have a problem getting the Audio Tracks to work with the game.

Case close. Those people didn't dump those games right. This isn't your fault.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 06:57:23 AM by KingHanco »

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2007, 09:13:57 AM »
I think you guys are missing the point here. Who ever rips the Audio Tracks from the NeoGeo CD must be too damn stupid. Dump the NeoGeo CD fully and you won't have a problem getting the Audio Tracks to work.

The sectors are broken when the Audio Tracks are taken away from it NeoGeo CD owner. You need those sectors with the Audio Tracks and data's all together in one dump. Audio Tracks aren't normal Audio Tracks which are not wav and mp3. Those are like data's which is connect with the sectors onto the normal data's. Split everything apart will destroy the sectors and made the game into bad dump which you will have a problem getting the Audio Tracks to work with the game.

Case close. Those people didn't dump those games right. This isn't your fault.

No. You're missing the point.  Audio track lengths and quality DO NOT MATTER to the Neo-Geo CD.  The reason we're having trouble is improper emulation (since the neocd's cd-rom is not well documented).

Offline KOF2112

• Expert
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2007, 11:01:34 AM »
 :p
When issued tests FBA?

Offline KingHanco

• "Special " Member
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2007, 12:57:21 PM »
«+Jan_Klaas» The Neo Geo CD uses Red Book audio, so that mostly works fine.
«+Jan_Klaas» I would *prefer* to have a format that has everything in it, including side channels, but that's another matter.

Then he said this.

«+Jan_Klaas» My CD emulation still has all the bells and whistles when using mp3  files. Works just fine...

So I guest it is ok then.

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2007, 01:41:20 PM »
«+Jan_Klaas» The Neo Geo CD uses Red Book audio, so that mostly works fine.
«+Jan_Klaas» I would *prefer* to have a format that has everything in it, including side channels, but that's another matter.

Then he said this.

«+Jan_Klaas» My CD emulation still has all the bells and whistles when using mp3  files. Works just fine...

So I guest it is ok then.
Well, duh.  I told you that already.  Just because you're too thick to believe me, doesn't make me wrong.

Offline KingHanco

• "Special " Member
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2007, 04:05:08 PM »
I never said your wrong iq_132. Those still works and I understand that. I just don't like bad rips at all.

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2007, 08:10:22 PM »
Current NeoGeo CD ROMs on the net are not bad rips, they're fine... the only thing made with them is burn the CDDA Tracks in MP3s to make them accessible and most of all, so they can be downloaded..or do you have enough space for All NeoGeo CD collection with they real size ~600MB per game?....I have to let clear that the only thing changed in the current ROMs are the Audio Tracks, and they're NOT linked with the DATA, ....because DATA & CDDA are 2 different things...the console will look for the CDDA Tracks when the DATA (game program) call for it by sending a command to the CPU, then the console will know the number of CDDA tracks the game have and just Play, Pause, Resume, Stop or Loop any Track currently on the Disc...

To make everything clear, here is a screenshot of a NeoGeo CD (.MDF Image) with the complete DATA + CDDA structure, this hasn't come from a real NG CD, but from the current ROMs on the net, this Image doesn't have MP3 / WAV Audio tracks at all, and its working fine with NEOCD/SDL and FBA... and with other emus too.

As IQ_132 said before, the current issue with NeoGeo CD emulation in 'FBA' is related with the communication / commands that later will be sent to the CDDA module, ..so to say it better, if the game program does'nt communicate well with the CPU, then there will be no commands for the CD device to read 'X' or 'Y' Audio Track from the disc.

What I want to let clear is that current NeoGeo CD game dumps are fine, I have tested them and they work fine. They're not Bad Rips, only Audio Tracks are converted from CDDA -> MP3's.

Btw, Im doing some adjustments to the Unicode binary and when I finish testing it I will release it so everyone can test, the source will be released soon, Im trying to get something done for the communication / commands issue to get Tracks played correctly.

SeeYaa!

Offline KingHanco

• "Special " Member
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2007, 06:28:46 AM »
Cool! Never mind about cmpro cm data. I just download the cue/bin. (Jan told me don't converted into something else because I will mess up that dump. lol)

View Point (aicd-051) (JP) will be the first one that I have.

I'm not worry about my space. I have 218 GB left. I'm planning on buying a 500 GB later on.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 12:55:17 AM by KingHanco »

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2007, 08:57:13 PM »
Hi guys, just to let you know I have ported the NeoGeo CD from FBA v0.2.95.23 to -> v0.2.96.71 (latest official release) and I'm doing the last adjustments because I succeeded compiling the VC++ build but it seems to have a problem with SDL, ...when its loading it stay checking the disc,...this doesn't happen with MinGW build, and its probably due to the way SDL libraries are used. So when I finish working with the VC build I will finally release both Binary + Src, thanks for your patience ^^...

In other news, there are more games being tested as I write this, ...like for example Magical Drop 2 is working fine with a few gfx problems but the CDDA is playing fine, Aero Fighters 2 plays CDDA fine (gfx problems too and it freezes when the first boss is defeated, the stage keeps going, it have no FX sound, not related with CDDA), Metal Slug 1, 2 are playing CDDA fine (fx sounds like screams and weapons are not playing right but is not related to CDDA, and seems to be needing some type of synchronization or something like that)...

I will be doing more testing of games now to make sure all bugs and emulation problems are known so maybe FBA Team can take a better look if they are going to make something for NeoGeo CD emulation in the future  :smilie:.

SeeYaa!

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2007, 07:21:42 PM »
Last Hope works just fine as well. :)

Offline netbug

• Newbies
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2009, 02:44:23 AM »
重温一下老帖哈。