Author Topic: Savestate bg music issue for CPS1 games (tested with sf2ce)  (Read 3536 times)

Offline shine

• Newbies
Hi,

There have been a few reports of bg music playing incorrectly when reaching low life in sf2ce, when music is supposedly to play at a faster rate, and after some investigation found a repro case in regular FBNeo (v44)

I don't know much about cps1 emulation, but as it happened with other games, it seems that not all variables might be synced properly when saved/restored from a savestate, making it not deterministic. It's usually not noticeable for the user because only happens during the fast music state (where they would usually never save a state), but it's more noticeable in fc (and probably libretro/retroarch) as they make intensive use of savestates during rollbacks.

You can repro it by loading the attached savestate from a clean state (no game loaded), or from another game. Reloading the savestate from within the same game might not produce or even fix the issue, it depends on some factors I haven't been able to isolate (ie loading the savestate twice, fixes the music playback)

TBC this savestate was made from current gcc win32 FBNeo build from appveyor build site: https://github.com/finalburnneo/FBNeo-WIP-Storage-Facility/releases/tag/appveyor-build

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: Savestate bg music issue for CPS1 games (tested with sf2ce)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 10:52:28 AM »
thanks for the state and info, should have a fix sometime today :)

Offline shine

• Newbies
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 11:03:20 AM »
No rush! thanks for looking into it dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 10:39:42 PM »
Problem solved, thanks for the state and recreation info!

best regards,
- dink

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 02:16:40 AM »
I confirm i can't trigger the issue anymore with retroarch's runahead, it might be a placebo effect but i think the overall quality of that game's sound with runahead improved, even outside that crit health music.

Offline shine

• Newbies
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 04:32:17 AM »
So fast, awesome job!