Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 761182 times)

Offline Freddy

Hi dink,
Same problem in KOF 2000, can't load the game (guru meditation).  :redface:

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Freddy, for now, go to Misc -> Options and uncheck "Use alpha blend effects..." to play the games w/o issues.

best regards,
- dink

Offline Freddy

Freddy, for now, go to Misc -> Options and uncheck "Use alpha blend effects..." to play the games w/o issues.

best regards,
- dink

Working fine now...
Thank you!  :biggrin:

Offline dink

• Administrator
Sorry ya'll havn't heard much from me lately, I've been keeping busy working on
lots of little "behind the scenes" fixes & things, most of them not really worth mentioning, but in the long run they make for a better FBA for all of us :)
Anyways, some mentionables that happened today & yesterday:
Fixed Escape Kids crash while booting,
Fixed the sounds in Yie Ar Kung-Fu & some timing improvements.  Some sn soundchip commands were getting skipped (like in Shaolin's) because the chip updates needed to be interlaced.  Now the game sounds like it should :)
Fixed the buzzing dac sounds when compiled with gcc >= 4.8
EDIT: several hours later...
Give Mikie the Shaolin's Road / Yie-Ar treatment also.

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:38:20 AM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
re: It's the little things (& the third try's a charm)

in Gradius III, the drumroll @ the beginning after the game boots up never sounded quite right - well, now it does :)  Technical info: the game sets the volume of the Konami PCM chip (k007232) starting at 0 and turns it up slowly as the drumroll plays.  The PCM chip was ignoring volume sets of 0, so it was using the default value of full volume for that channel to start the drum roll.

I also finally found the source of mixing crackles in some Sega games (Including the newly found Hammer Away), there was a little overflow whilst mixing the 16bit samples in the ym2612 core which wasn't being properly handled.  So thats fixed now, too :)

Today is a good day for FB Alpha!

Barry got the newly found/lost Sega game Hammer Away up and running.  iq_132 added a new driver for the classic games Time Limit and Progress, JacKc added a bunch of new clones plus he's doing a good job keeping the roms up-to-date.

Some piccys:

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
Excellent work fellas!!!

Offline dink

• Administrator
Today's happening(s):
Tweaked Xexex and Moo Mesa to get the music in-key, increased the sfx volume in Xexex to match MAME.
Gonna go play some more Hammer Away in FBA ;)  *awesome game!*

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Today's FBA happenings, brought to you by dink.

Tag-team awesomeness for iq_132 and dink regarding compilation issues w/ newer versions of gcc

FIXED: Musashi 68k is fixed for newer gcc versions - this means no more missing zombie heads in Altered Beast or bullets shaped like plus. (dink)
FIXED: Weird buzzing/pops in the dac with signed writes only when compiled with gcc (iq_132)

Keep in mind, I spent part of last weekend trying to fix the dac, and iq_132 and Treble Winner and I spent countless hours/days/weeks on the Musashi bug.  Therefore I'm dividing up the awesome-points equally between the three of us.  That's 100 points each!  We rock!! \m/

best regards,
- dink

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
Today's FBA happenings, brought to you by dink.

Tag-team awesomeness for iq_132 and dink regarding compilation issues w/ newer versions of gcc

FIXED: Musashi 68k is fixed for newer gcc versions - this means no more missing zombie heads in Altered Beast or bullets shaped like plus. (dink)
FIXED: Weird buzzing/pops in the dac with signed writes only when compiled with gcc (iq_132)

Keep in mind, I spent part of last weekend trying to fix the dac, and iq_132 and Treble Winner and I spent countless hours/days/weeks on the Musashi bug.  Therefore I'm dividing up the awesome-points equally between the three of us.  That's 100 points each!  We rock!! \m/

best regards,
- dink

Nice work dink. Musashi fix confirmed and tested with GCC 3.4.5, GCC 4.8.1 (x86 and x64) and MSVC (x86 and x64).
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline dink

• Administrator
Hello friends and fans of FBA,
I havn't said much lately because I've been too busy working on our beloved emulator - thats good news, right? :)
What I've been up to lately:
Corrected some irq timing in Gradius 3, now the music plays back at the right speed
Added a game-specific hack/fix to Arbalester & x1-010, so that the music plays at the right speed
Spent 2 whole days trying to get Dream World to stop freezing up upon players death, no luck yet!

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Fixed the sound in Asura Blade / Asura Buster  :biggrin:

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
Fixed the sound in Asura Blade / Asura Buster  :biggrin:

That should probably be "improved" rather than fixed? IIRC doesn't it use a YMF262 as well?
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline dink

• Administrator
Well, not improved, because I had unfortunately broke the sound which had once been working when I ported the new ymf278b core..  Ok, lets just say, "returned to its pseudo-working state"  :biggrin:

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Added Oh Mummy (MD) and Lego Batman (MD) to FBA - They're free/indie/homebrew games
DL here and save for the next fba-rel: http://sharesend.com/6nod019z & http://sharesend.com/qfi30axr :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
In the game Black Tiger, the sfx are so loud the music can hardly be heard.  While mucking about with F1 Dream earlier, I figured out a way to lower the SFX volume and was surprized when I had applied it to Black Tiger - and it worked!!  All to get a nice/perfect music : sfx balance.  The fix is simple, but for some reason I'm really happy I finally got this one the way it should be :)  :biggrin:  ...   :cool:

Also, added a new macro(function) to burn_ym2203.h - BurnYM2203SetPSGVolume(chip, volume);

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 05:11:10 PM by dink »