Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 760643 times)

Offline synnchan

• aka: synnae
Re: dink's FBA Development & Fixes thread
« Reply #945 on: July 21, 2016, 03:41:01 PM »
lookin' good. :D

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #946 on: July 22, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »
Hey there..

While debugging some PGM stuff, I came across an old bug that sorta bothered me.  It happens in DDP2 Bee Storm when the music fades out after boss fights, it sounds really clicky and weird.  With the old ICS2115 soundcore, it sounded fine, but with the new one which was added last fall, DDP2 sounds kinda horrible.  On the other hand, the new ICS2115 soundcore improved the sound quality in just about every other PGM game.  Now we have the best of both worlds, I made a little fix/kludge to the ICS2115 soundcore just for Bee Storm, it disables the volume envelopes which is the thing thats causing the issue.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #947 on: July 23, 2016, 11:05:14 PM »
Happy-fun FBA "fixes" of the day..

Continental Circus: fixed the gear shifter, thanks to Gab75 for reporting this issue!
Data East Backfire! random crash on game load. (workaround)
Alt-S - mute/unmute the sound.  Now it unmutes :)

From the happy-fun new features department:
Shift+F1 will toggle fastforward on/off

From the happy-fun "incase-you-didn't-know-about-these-preexisting-features" department:
F1 still fastforwards as usual.
While the game is paused, F1 will advance a frame each time you press it.

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:55:13 PM by dink »

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
« Reply #948 on: July 24, 2016, 12:59:11 AM »
Thanks a lot for the various fixes and improvements! :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #949 on: July 26, 2016, 11:01:38 PM »
On request from *nameless*, added Mr. Do's Nightmare, Metal Slug 3 Enhanced Violence Version and 1942: C64 Music version to our favorite emulator.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #950 on: August 04, 2016, 10:19:51 PM »
Taito's Top Speed / Full Throttle got an overhaul.  Added a priority bitmap to fix a bunch of graphics glitches, missing soundeffects, broken gear shifter & a handfull of other small things that aren't worth mentioning.  The game is now fully playable and quite fun, its basically an OutRun-style game, but with a nitro booster.  Like OutRun the music is quite catchy too :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
« Reply #951 on: August 05, 2016, 12:56:05 AM »
Thanks for your work! :)
Yes, Top Speed is an Out-Run style game with a pinch of "Initial D"... indeed, the virtual sport car should be ispired to a Mazda RX-7 second generation! ;)

Offline synnchan

• aka: synnae
« Reply #952 on: August 05, 2016, 07:58:51 AM »
Taito's Top Speed / Full Throttle got an overhaul.  Added a priority bitmap to fix a bunch of graphics glitches, missing soundeffects, broken gear shifter & a handfull of other small things that aren't worth mentioning.  The game is now fully playable and quite fun, its basically an OutRun-style game, but with a nitro booster.  Like OutRun the music is quite catchy too :)

best regards,
- dink

Thanks dink ^-^
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:00:01 AM by synnchan »

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #953 on: August 05, 2016, 08:45:34 AM »

best regards,
- dink

Nice work big fella!! Not a bad game Taito's Top Speed a precursor to the more famous Chase HQ.

Offline csmart

« Reply #954 on: August 05, 2016, 10:08:08 AM »
That's awesome Top Speed was one of my favorite racing games while I was growing up. Great fix.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #955 on: August 05, 2016, 09:49:22 PM »
Ufo Senshi Yohko Chan got a fix today, the platform part wasn't scrolling properly.  Big thanks to Gab75 for reporting this bug.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #956 on: August 08, 2016, 10:44:39 PM »
this needs to be mentioned.
good, bad & ugly:

ym2151, states no longer rely on having the same samplerate & interpolation settings on the machine that loads them as the machine that saved them.  cons: breaks all old savestates from prior fba versions for games that use ym2151.

msm6295, massive rewrite which also breaks prior states for games using this chip.

sorry about that!
best regards,
- dink

Offline Pityesz

• Ultimate Knight
« Reply #957 on: August 11, 2016, 09:39:28 PM »
Could be Dungeon Magic / Light Bringer added to the emulator? Haven't played that game since ages.

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
« Reply #958 on: August 12, 2016, 01:12:14 AM »
Could be Dungeon Magic / Light Bringer added to the emulator? Haven't played that game since ages.

IIRC Dungeon Magic/Light Bringer should be a game based on Taito F3 System arcade board... There are a lot of very good games based on this hardware (e.g. Bubble Memories, Darius Gaiden, Elevator Action II, Puzzle Bobble 3, etc.), but to add them to the FBA it's not an easy task... moreover the emulation of Ensoniq ES5505 sound chip is totally absent among the supported cores. In few words, I don't think that we will see soon the Taito F3 games emulated, maybe one day (I hope in the not too distant future! :P )
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:44:21 AM by Gab75 »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #959 on: August 12, 2016, 08:16:29 AM »
IIRC Dungeon Magic/Light Bringer should be a game based on Taito F3 System arcade board... There are a lot of very good games based on this hardware (e.g. Bubble Memories, Darius Gaiden, Elevator Action II, Puzzle Bobble 3, etc.), but to add them to the FBA it's not an easy task... moreover the emulation of Ensoniq ES5505 sound chip is totally absent among the supported cores. In few words, I don't think that we will see soon the Taito F3 games emulated, maybe one day (I hope in the not too distant future! :P )

We have a partial f3 driver that needs a lot of work, esp. with the soundcore and graphic:layers priorities and such.  I gave up trying to get anything useful out of it because the amount of work required to get it right is astronomical, and f3 games don't really interest me.

best regards,
- dink