Author Topic: Is some one porting the Final burn for embedded platform?  (Read 40395 times)

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Re: Is some one porting the Final burn for embedded platform?
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
Excellent work!  It is great to see some of my drivers running on my phone. :-)
I only have a couple of notes--
The on-screen controls seem to be pretty bad. It seems like there is no multi touch?
No dipswitch configuration?
A nice idea to simplify the front end - - include descriptions for each core and have that displayed.
I imagine most of that is related to this being the first release.

On a somewhat related note, if you need a hand with speedup or something else, let me know.

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 07:02:35 PM »
Excellent work!  It is great to see some of my drivers running on my phone. :-)
I only have a couple of notes--
The on-screen controls seem to be pretty bad. It seems like there is no multi touch?
A nice idea to simplify the front end - - include descriptions for each core and have that displayed.
I imagine most of that is related to this being the first release.

On a somewhat related note, if you need a hand with speedup or something else, let me know.

I'm adding a bunch of new overlays today that will go some way towards addressing the situation with the bad overlays before -

http://imgur.com/a/fsu9l#8

Yes, I need all the help I can get with the libretro port. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As for speedups - we can start out by adding Cyclone as an 68K CPU core - there is an ARM-optimized version done by notaz which should be much faster on ARM than Musashi right now.

http://notaz.gp2x.de/cyclone.php

The libretro port is all in upstream and everything should be compilable - so it should be easy to help out with making the port better.

I'll need to think about a way to add this. Right now libretro ports are lacking a way to 'expose' options of a core to the 'RetroArch' backend - a stop-gap solution would be to bake in an ingame menu - I could probably reuse most of the code I'm using for the Wii's RGUI for that.

For now - there are a couple of button combos you can use -

Button combos ingame:
• RetroPad L2 + RetroPad R2 + RetroPad L + RetroPad R + Select =
Service Menu button
RetroPad L2 + RetroPad R2 + RetroPad L + RetroPad R + Start =
Diagnostic button
RetroPad L2 + RetroPad R2 + RetroPad L + RetroPad R + Left = Reset
button
RetroPad L2 + RetroPad R2 + RetroPad L + RetroPad R + Right =
DIP A Pressed
RetroPad L2 + RetroPad R2 + RetroPad L + RetroPad R + Up = DIP
B Pressed
RetroPad L2 + RetroPad R2 + RetroPad L + RetroPad R + Down =
Test Pressed

There are also a couple of currently existing issues with the libretro port - it would be good if some of these finally get fixed - this is one such issue -

If you want to play Warzard or Red Earth and you happen to get a ’No
CD-ROM drive’ message - do the ’Reset’ combo (see above) - it should
work then.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:04:52 PM by Twinaphex »

Offline OopsWare

• Expert
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »
As for speedups - we can start out by adding Cyclone as an 68K CPU core - there is an ARM-optimized version done by notaz which should be much faster on ARM than Musashi right now.

http://notaz.gp2x.de/cyclone.php

The libretro port is all in upstream and everything should be compilable - so it should be easy to help out with making the port better.

i'v do this test one year ago, speed seems not good then gcc optimized with ARMv7 thumb-2.
but we can use the NEON to optimize the PCM and graphic process.
i also add some code to connect bluetooth joypad directly like zeemote and wii remote
the soucecode is not finished and ugly,  i can share it if somebody needed .

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2013, 10:33:19 PM »
i'v do this test one year ago, speed seems not good then gcc optimized with ARMv7 thumb-2.
but we can use the NEON to optimize the PCM and graphic process.
i also add some code to connect bluetooth joypad directly like zeemote and wii remote
the soucecode is not finished and ugly,  i can share it if somebody needed .

Sure - post it and we can take a look at it - I try to code everything in native C code though so hopefully the input code is not Java code.

BTW - just pushed a major update to the Play Store - you can grab the APK early on the xda-developers thread or on our forum thread -

http://forum.themaister.net/viewtopic.php?id=235

This fixes the two biggest issues (the low-res 256x256 stretched layouts and the lack of custom input binding) and is the version I would have wanted the initial release to be if we hadn't rushed the release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=u6cywQ601oI

Not yet an 'arcade-style layout' though but the nice thing about the overlay system is that every overlay is just a cfg file with some hitbox coordinates and a couple of png images - you can easily make your own. And in case that is too hard, a proactive user is trying to make a WYSIWYG editor for it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:34:41 PM by Twinaphex »

Offline OopsWare

• Expert
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2013, 02:06:45 AM »
sourcecode upload to https://sites.google.com/site/oopsware/fbalpha , FBA.7z
i simply update the game frame buffer to a Texture2D, and render it by GLES.
no sound, no touchscreen support ... it's only a test.
the fba source is very old and use C core currently, it you want use ASM core,
take a look at the Android.mk file in jni folder.

Offline trickytree

• Newbies
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2013, 04:46:24 PM »

Cyclone addition would be great, as would DrZ80 - Android MAME4ALL uses both of those and they give a very nice speedup. However there are some bugs leading to incompatibility so it would be wise to allow for those ARM ASM cores to be toggled on/off per game (MAME4ALL allows this, and also has an option to only use DrZ80 for sound CPUs which also helps compatibility).

Great to hear Gingerbread support is being worked on.

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2013, 04:04:19 AM »
To the people who had Android 2.3 devices in here (and who therefore couldn't try out RetroArch) -

please test this out for me - it's the newest version of RetroArch that should be Android 2.3 compatible. Has been tested on an HTC HD2 but I want to make sure it works with a more mainstream device first (rather than something that was originally a Windows Mobile device) before I push it out.

https://anonfiles.com/file/478271612...639fcf9bb77597

If it works for you, then I'm pushing this out to Google Play tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:05:43 AM by Twinaphex »

Offline trickytree

• Newbies
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2013, 09:46:36 AM »
Working link:
https://anonfiles.com/file/478271612a775800b3639fcf9bb77597

The menus are working fine now on 2.3.4, thanks.

Here's some Xperia Play specific issues that I found:

1. The hardware controls aren't working ingame. I can configure my controls in the menu (P1 custom binds) and the keypresses are detected, but no response ingame. Oddly though Start and Select do work (as P1 Start and P1 Coin respectively). Strangely enough the d-pad works in the SNES emulator, but no others.

2. By default the circle key on the XP is mapped to the BACK function, meaning whenever circle is pressed ingame the emulator quits and returns to the menu. This is a common issue though that every developer has with the XP, it can be fixed.

3. In the custom binds section, pressing the X key brings up the onscreen keyboard, and pressing the O key cancels (as per 2. above).

And some general observations:

1. There doesn't seem to be a way to enter the ingame menu in FBA to change dip settings etc., nor does there seem to be a way to display FPS (unless this is related to the hardware buttons issue above).

2. It would be nice in the FBA roms menu if the internal rom name could be used instead of the file name, so for example instead of listing 1944.zip, 1944d.zip and 1944j.zip it could read '1944: The Loop Master (USA 00620)', '1944: The Loop Master (USA 000620 Phoenix Edition) (bootleg)' and '1944: The Loop Master (Japan 000620)'.

3. Could you add a scroll thumb to the rom browser? It takes several minutes to get through the list.

4. If possible, add Cyclone and DrZ80 speedups as previously mentioned.

Apart from the above quibbles it's all working impressively, thanks.
(also thanks of course to the FBA and MAME devs!)

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »
Working link:
https://anonfiles.com/file/478271612a775800b3639fcf9bb77597

The menus are working fine now on 2.3.4, thanks.

Here's some Xperia Play specific issues that I found:

1. The hardware controls aren't working ingame. I can configure my controls in the menu (P1 custom binds) and the keypresses are detected, but no response ingame. Oddly though Start and Select do work (as P1 Start and P1 Coin respectively). Strangely enough the d-pad works in the SNES emulator, but no others.

2. By default the circle key on the XP is mapped to the BACK function, meaning whenever circle is pressed ingame the emulator quits and returns to the menu. This is a common issue though that every developer has with the XP, it can be fixed.

OK - I can fix the CIRCLE button.

As for your hardware controls - i thought I covered them by now - guess not. Could you please go through the steps laid out here and report back to me? In order not to clutter the board here, you could do it on my forum -

http://forum.themaister.net/viewtopic.php?id=248

3. In the custom binds section, pressing the X key brings up the onscreen keyboard, and pressing the O key cancels (as per 2. above).

Yeah, I know auto button input for manual binds right now is very finicky - it's best if you just scroll down the list and select the keycodes manually for now. You can find which of your keys are bound to which keycodes by using RetroArch's 'Debug Input Reporting Enable' feature.

1. There doesn't seem to be a way to enter the ingame menu in FBA to change dip settings etc., nor does there seem to be a way to display FPS (unless this is related to the hardware buttons issue above).

Yes, this is not implemented right now - I'll look into a way to providing options/settings per core though.

2. It would be nice in the FBA roms menu if the internal rom name could be used instead of the file name, so for example instead of listing 1944.zip, 1944d.zip and 1944j.zip it could read '1944: The Loop Master (USA 00620)', '1944: The Loop Master (USA 000620 Phoenix Edition) (bootleg)' and '1944: The Loop Master (Japan 000620)'.

I get this request a lot - on the console side I am going to rectify this by making use of RetroLaunch which will use text-based database files for internal lookup of 'prettier names' - but I'm afraid to do this in Java would just be to overbloat the Java side of the app which I want to make as lightweight as possible. Really, I want to do my darned best to prevent the Java garbage collector from being enacted and adding even more Java code is a sure-fire recipe in doing just that - so that's why I'm declining the offer for now until I can think of something that works that isn't a performance hazard.

3. Could you add a scroll thumb to the rom browser? It takes several minutes to get through the list.

On Android 4.0 you can scroll easily - but I guess we need to come up with something on 2.3.

4. If possible, add Cyclone and DrZ80 speedups as previously mentioned.

Yes, hopefully the FBA devs can take a hand in any further improvements to the libretro port as well. I push as much upstream as I can find so I'm definitely all for a collaborative exchange of improvements in this port.

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
Pushed RetroArch Android 0.9.8.1 to the store - should be Android 2.3+ compatible now and should hopefully take care of the back button problem on certain pads like the Xperia Play. Also improved custom button mapping a bit - there is a 'Detect' button now that is able to better detect buttons when pressed.

You can get it early here until Google Play resyncs (takes a long time) -

https://libretro.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/retroarch-android-0-9-8-1-released/

if your gamepad still doesn't work, go onto the forum - there's a thread dedicated to it -

http://forum.themaister.net/viewtopic.php?id=248

EDIT: It's now updated on Google Play.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:16:11 PM by Twinaphex »

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2013, 08:53:45 PM »
Ugh. annoying.

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2013, 04:25:42 PM »
Selling something which is free is totally Lame but selling something which is free and is the hard toil and graft  of others is even Lamer