Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 760695 times)

Online dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread
« Reply #2010 on: September 03, 2020, 01:26:43 AM »
Pelucon8 - thanks goes to JacKc :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline Pelucon8

« Reply #2011 on: September 03, 2020, 01:41:02 AM »
Pelucon8 - thanks goes to JacKc :)

best regards,
- dink

Yes, both received a +1. Jack for solving it and you for reading and posing the problem to find a solution.  :smilie:

Offline Joaquim2020

« Reply #2012 on: September 03, 2020, 09:06:25 AM »
Why you guys don?t create a Console Folder for all the systems incluied neogeocd? Is more organized, Consoles and Roms Folder.  :wink:

Online dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2013 on: September 03, 2020, 03:31:23 PM »
Joaquim2020, it was suggested that we leave the default neocd directory as it is.  It is just a default though, and you can have it set anywhere you'd like.

best regards,
- dink

Offline Joaquim2020

« Reply #2014 on: September 04, 2020, 08:11:02 AM »
Joaquim2020, it was suggested that we leave the default neocd directory as it is.  It is just a default though, and you can have it set anywhere you'd like.

best regards,
- dink

Works nice for me.  :cool:

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2015 on: September 18, 2020, 03:44:26 AM »
Hijacking dink's thread to say i added a wide screen mode to "Street Fighter 3: the new generation" yesterday, it's togglable through dipswitches. This dipswitch is also available for sfiii2 (no need to go through service menu to enable it anymore). Found information about this through https://tcrf.net/Street_Fighter_III:_New_Generation#Unused_Wide_Screen_Mode . sfiii3 also has this hidden mode, but it's so glitched that it's not worth adding.

Online dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2016 on: September 18, 2020, 10:09:43 AM »
barbudreadmon, looks good :)

Online dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2017 on: October 05, 2020, 08:45:17 AM »
Something I'd been waiting for...  for ages:
Karnov's MCU was finally dumped!  Thanks The Dumping Union / TeamEurope!
For those that don't know, a MCU is basically a full computer on a chip that is protected from being read out... Which is why a lot of games didn't get their MCU dumped until recently.  Often times a protection MCU goes beyond simply allowing the game to boot - it also influences the gameplay / levels / level order and in some cases sprites & weapons.  The MCU chip sometimes has to be sacrificed to read out the program data, but some are vulnerable to glitching or other nifty ways of recovering the data without breaking the top off  / harming the physical chip.

I started emulating it last night, and almost done.  It's quite similar hookup to that of DEC8/DEC0.
For extra fun and like dec8, I'm doing it from scratch / without using mame as a reference.  Although the code copied and pasted from DEC0 is almost there to begin with..

So far the game is a little different than with the protection "sim" code.  While most of the enemies are in their same places, different ones spawn here and there than did previously.  It's always a good feeling to get rid of the old sim code for this reason.  IMO a game is basically a bootleg quality unless it has the full protection emulated - especially if the protection MCU influences the game.  There is the exception - if the game only checks the protection MCU for a challenge/response to boot up, and does nothing else. (f.ex. IREM m72 games).

best regards,
- dink

Offline hursit

• Newbies
« Reply #2018 on: October 05, 2020, 05:13:37 PM »
Hijacking dink's thread to say i added a wide screen mode to "Street Fighter 3: the new generation" yesterday, it's togglable through dipswitches. This dipswitch is also available for sfiii2 (no need to go through service menu to enable it anymore). Found information about this through https://tcrf.net/Street_Fighter_III:_New_Generation#Unused_Wide_Screen_Mode . sfiii3 also has this hidden mode, but it's so glitched that it's not worth adding.

How can i tested it ?
Retroarch core has it already ?

thanks

Offline the_maq

« Reply #2019 on: October 05, 2020, 05:41:06 PM »
Something I'd been waiting for...  for ages:
Karnov's MCU was finally dumped!  Thanks The Dumping Union / TeamEurope!
For those that don't know, a MCU is basically a full computer on a chip that is protected from being read out... Which is why a lot of games didn't get their MCU dumped until recently.  Often times a protection MCU goes beyond simply allowing the game to boot - it also influences the gameplay / levels / level order and in some cases sprites & weapons.  The MCU chip sometimes has to be sacrificed to read out the program data, but some are vulnerable to glitching or other nifty ways of recovering the data without breaking the top off  / harming the physical chip.

I started emulating it last night, and almost done.  It's quite similar hookup to that of DEC8/DEC0.
For extra fun and like dec8, I'm doing it from scratch / without using mame as a reference.  Although the code copied and pasted from DEC0 is almost there to begin with..

So far the game is a little different than with the protection "sim" code.  While most of the enemies are in their same places, different ones spawn here and there than did previously.  It's always a good feeling to get rid of the old sim code for this reason.  IMO a game is basically a bootleg quality unless it has the full protection emulated - especially if the protection MCU influences the game.  There is the exception - if the game only checks the protection MCU for a challenge/response to boot up, and does nothing else. (f.ex. IREM m72 games).

best regards,
- dink
That's interesting so will this help and further improve emulation in general..? :S

Online dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2020 on: October 05, 2020, 08:41:01 PM »
That's interesting so will this help and further improve emulation in general..? :S

the_maq, basically it boils down to the arcade games' Karnov (and Chelnov Atomic Runner, which uses the same DataEast PCB) are now running with PCB accuracy.

best regards,
- dink

Online dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2021 on: October 07, 2020, 09:37:22 AM »
Emulated the "Floating Bus" feature of the ZX Spectrum, it's functionality is used (as a code trick) by a couple games to synchronize the cpu with the screen, similarly to how the sprite0hit function works on NES.
This feature fixed compatibility with a few games (Sidewize, Arkanoid, others I forget)

best regards,
- dink

Online dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2022 on: October 24, 2020, 09:04:40 PM »
Ghox now has spinner support as well as digital inputs for those that wish to play ghox with an analog stick or spinner.

best regards,
- dink

Online dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2023 on: October 25, 2020, 12:35:57 AM »
ZX Spectrum re-write is almost complete!

to eliminate hw conflicts and make things a bit more clear to everyone, there's now a joystick interface selection DIP, with the options:
Kempston
Sinclair Intf. 2
QAOP M
QAOP Space
Disabled

This whole rewrite-zx-project is taking a lot longer than I expected.  I learned a lot of things, though.  Notably: the ZX Spectrum isn't the simple machine I thought it was, and some of the games are really fun and creative - though, one has to plow through a lot of crap to find them.

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 12:37:42 AM by dink »

Offline Neville

« Reply #2024 on: October 25, 2020, 06:41:55 AM »
"Programmer, beware of so-called simple things
for they hide tons of work for thee"

Ancient proverb