Author Topic: Requests  (Read 78983 times)

Offline alexb3d

Re: Requests
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2023, 03:09:36 AM »
I understand.

I'm a RetroArch user on Linux, I've never used the standalone. I was just going to ask you if it was possible to put the description and enable/disable the cheats, and I see the cheat.dat.

:turbofrc:60000000:00000:00000000:00000000:Turn off cheats with F6 at the start of each level!

It has it, but in RetroArch I don't see it, I also don't get an option to enable/disable cheats. It would be very useful to have those options in the core.

Why are there games that have cheats in the parent and apply to all, and others that have cheats by clone?

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2023, 09:12:25 AM »
well, that f6 message is ancient history, it probably doesn't even work with current mame(I'm guessing).  I'm afraid I can't answer any questions about the libretro version of fbneo, I just don't know.

best regards,
- dink

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2023, 11:16:39 AM »
Even if it was possible to have this "Turn off cheats with F6 at the start of each level!" message shown in the libretro port (and i can't think of a way), it wouldn't be very useful considering F6 won't do anything in the libretro port.

Offline alexb3d

« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2023, 05:09:28 PM »
well, that f6 message is ancient history, it probably doesn't even work with current mame(I'm guessing). 

So, there is nothing to warn the user that "some trick", requires a special action? I have not installed the standalone, I have no idea, I will find out how to do it.

Even if it was possible to have this "Turn off cheats with F6 at the start of each level!" message shown in the libretro port (and i can't think of a way), it wouldn't be very useful considering F6 won't do anything in the libretro port.

I thought it was a line without action and it was going to be shown at the beginning similar to the shaders that have information lines. 
To activate/deactivate them, you can use a combination like "select+a/b/start" and have in the core options the configuration. 
And also start the game with the shaders deactivated so that we don't get an error.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2023, 02:41:16 AM »
I thought it was a line without action and it was going to be shown at the beginning similar to the shaders that have information lines.

You can't add information lines in core options through the libretro api.

To activate/deactivate them, you can use a combination like "select+a/b/start" and have in the core options the configuration.

To deactivate them, you can turn them off in core options. My point was that this text remains wrong and confusing.

And also start the game with the shaders deactivated so that we don't get an error.

Assuming you meant "cheats" and not "shaders", having a way to toggle off core options through the libretro api would certainly be neat, but it doesn't exist.

Sorry but none of this is going to happen.

Offline alexb3d

« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2023, 06:05:05 PM »
You can't add information lines in core options through the libretro api.

And what is the line under the name of the trick, that says "Specific to the run blah blah blah..."

When you load a core, in information, you have several lines of system comments.

But I mean to have it in the cheat.dat, I did....
:turbofrc:62000000:00000:00000000:00000000: > This is a comment line!!

Or, you have to remove the last ":" after the code name, and take it as a single line. 
:mk:62000000:000000:00000000:00000000:Select Character PL2 > Enable this character select cheat after the level select screen or the game may crash!!

a video of how it looks like:
https://mega.nz/file/yAYwjbgA#7R18aE4DQnfCLw6WqtDEbA597cscs9jtRcSIzEc1n7o

To deactivate them, you can turn them off in core options. My point was that this text remains wrong and confusing.

Just a keyboard shortcut, to activate or deactivate and reactivate the active cheats. as it has mame to activate the gui with "select + x".

I am seeing some problems that affect users.
- Having cheat descriptions
- Some games will not start if you leave cheats on
- Some games require you to disable and re-enable cheats, in the middle of the game.

mame solves this with popus and 2003+ with info lines, they also disable cheats and restart the game if it fails to load. How will FBNeo do it?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 06:08:41 PM by alexb3d »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2023, 08:09:56 PM »
This is just something we get used to with cheats, even before mame has the info lines.  remember: when a game malfunctions, turn off cheats then back on when it's time.  It goes for all games, even those without the text-lines.

best regards,
- dink

Offline alexb3d

« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2023, 02:20:57 AM »
This is just something we get used to with cheats, even before mame has the info lines.  remember: when a game malfunctions, turn off cheats then back on when it's time.  It goes for all games, even those without the text-lines.

It was just an idea, don't mind me, the important thing is that there are tricks, thank you very much for the help!

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2023, 10:30:19 AM »
So i actually found a way to forcibly disable those cheats core options at boot, but now i'm wondering if some cheats actually require to be enabled at boot (?), because that would prevent them from working.

Offline alexb3d

« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2023, 03:00:39 PM »
Metamorphic Force (EAA) starts by checking the roms, if the cheats are enabled, it gives an error and freezes.

Some need to be disabled at startup, as I mentioned to dink.

You're welcome! :)

Well, arcade games (especially arcade) do hardware tests at startup. When cheats are active, they modify locations in ram and/or rom, so when the tests of the game run, the game thinks ram or rom is bad.  This is normal and really the only way around it is to only enable the cheats after the game has booted up.
Some games need special attention when using cheats, for example "Turbo Force" needs the cheats to be turned off at the end of each level, or it will get stuck. 

best regards,
- dink

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2023, 06:44:22 PM »
Some need to be disabled at startup

To clarify, either i disable all cheats at startup, or i don't, there is no possible in-between.

Offline alexb3d

« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2023, 06:04:51 AM »
To clarify, either i disable all cheats at startup, or i don't, there is no possible in-between.

Start disabled, I think it's a better option than loading a game that freezes.
And let the user activate them, according to his needs.

As they are at the moment, if the user activates the cheats, they are automatically activated when loading.
Is it possible to save them with an override, like all the other options?

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2023, 07:43:56 AM »
Is it possible to save them with an override, like all the other options?

No, if i forcibly disable them at boot, it'll never be possible to start games with one of their cheats enabled.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2023, 09:18:01 AM »
Cheat options should never be "saved", they're only active (after switched on by the user) for the time the rom is loaded.

best regards,
- dink

Offline alexb3d

« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2023, 05:05:47 PM »
I definitely think it's a better option, because two reasons, the games that get locked when they read the roms, and the cheats that you have to activate them at a certain time so they don't damage the game. Thank you.