Author Topic: Help...  (Read 5455 times)

Offline johneh

Help...
« on: July 20, 2006, 10:27:55 PM »
Very rarily do I ask for help but I've gotten into a predicament... See I'm not exactly a programmer but I've recently discovered that compiling my own mame with the patches for KoF2003 and various other recent games I wish to play is probably my only option. I have the rom for KoF2k3 but now I'm stumped as to what to do. So I've got some questions... for starters: is there any already hacked mame out there I can use so I don't have to do any actual work? if not... What's a CRC? How do I find that? aaaand how do I get the uncompiled Mame and where do I put the code for that? Can I do it with notepad? Thanks in advance if for anyone who can actually help me. Hope I'm not going in the wrong direction.

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Re: Help...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 07:40:44 AM »
Very rarily do I ask for help but I've gotten into a predicament... See I'm not exactly a programmer but I've recently discovered that compiling my own mame with the patches for KoF2003 and various other recent games I wish to play is probably my only option. I have the rom for KoF2k3 but now I'm stumped as to what to do.
If you're just talking about kof2003, the current version of MAME indeed supports it, I imagine the problem is that you have the wrong romset (I'll send you a private message on that ;))
So I've got some questions... for starters: is there any already hacked mame out there I can use so I don't have to do any actual work?
There are quite a lot of MAME variations (they aren't hacks, just variations)
What's a CRC? How do I find that?
If you have winrar, open your rom with it, you can see the CRC32 (crc) of each rom file in the zip in one of the columns. If you don't have winrar, it's a bit more complicated.

aaaand how do I get the uncompiled Mame and where do I put the code for that?
www.mame.net in the downloads section is the SOURCE, you also need MinGW.  There's a guide for setting up mingw here:
http://www.logiqx.com/HowTo/WinMAME.php

Can I do it with notepad?
You can't compile it with notepad, but you can edit the source files (they are plain text files with .c extensions

Thanks in advance if for anyone who can actually help me. Hope I'm not going in the wrong direction.

Np ;)