Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 760095 times)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
There hasn't been much news from me lately, but thats a good thing.  I used to find bugs in games every couple games I tried, and lately I've been playing tons of games, and havn't come across any showstopping bugs.  On top of that, iq_132 has been doing an awesome job adding new drivers, things are good for FBA :)

Its probably not worth mentioning, but I found yet another issue with the way hibernation is handled, and I made a new fix for it - this time I'm going to test it for a few [more] days before checking it in - but I think this will be the last fix-iteration for hibernation related issues (loss of video/etc) - without affecting anything else, like stepping frames when menus are accessed - oops  :redface:

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Some news for today:

Added a [Rescan Romset] button to the Rom Info window, so new rom/roms can be added to the database without doing a full rescan.

I noticed that a bunch (nearly all..) of the Toaplan games had missing dipswitch heading descriptions (group), those have been filled in :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Hi guys,
Made some small enhancements to the Rescan Romset button - if the romset has issues, it will popup a little window with the missing/bad roms/etc - its the same one that pops up when you try to play a game with something wrong.  If the romset is OK, it will add a little message to the rom info window saying that the romset is OK. .. and of course add or remove the game from the database.

Thats it for today, best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
I went to load my savestate for Progear from the other day, and was greeted with a blank screen - but all the sfx and music of a regular game, luckily it was a simple fix - a common s.state/palette issue.. no problem! :)  Now, back to my game of Progear...  :biggrin:

In the meantime, check out this awesome stage 4 boss...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:24:33 AM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
Tokio(b) - Scramble Formation is now a lot more playable, 2 things were fixed with this game: the background music - yes, there actually is background music in this game, it just wasn't set right :)  Also just tonight I figured out & fixed the gaps between tiles in the playfield that happened every screen. (it was happening because the vblank irq was fireing too late in the frame)

thats it for now,
best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:10:12 AM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
I got Sengeki Striker on Supr[Kaneko]nova hardware to boot :)
There are still 3 issues that are holding this back from becoming a playable game, but, at least now there is hope...

best regards,
- dink

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
I got Sengeki Striker on Supr[Kaneko]nova hardware to boot :)
There are still 3 issues that are holding this back from becoming a playable game, but, at least now there is hope...

best regards,
- dink
Nice one!!! What are the 3 issues if you dont mind me asking

Offline dink

• Administrator
Nice one!!! What are the 3 issues if you dont mind me asking

:) !

Well, a similar issue to Sol Divide, where the music doesn't trigger properly.  Its a problem with the sh2 cpu core, I'm working hard to try to fix this one..  We're going by the cycle count to trigger the timer, and that's not good enough I guess :/  I don't know for sure how its going to be fixed, I think we might need a timer system similar to mame's., a total of 3 timers is needed.
The other is an issue with the coin input, it says "Coin Error" and resets when I try to insert a coin, but if I set the game to free play mode, it plays fine.
The third problem, the game isn't compatible with the FAST_OP_FETCH in the sh2 cpu, but I optimized the regular op fetching code to be almost (85%) as fast.

I'll post something as soon as I make progress!
best regards,
- dink

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
:) !

Well, a similar issue to Sol Divide, where the music doesn't trigger properly.  Its a problem with the sh2 cpu core, I'm working hard to try to fix this one..  We're going by the cycle count to trigger the timer, and that's not good enough I guess :/  I don't know for sure how its going to be fixed, I think we might need a timer system similar to mame's., a total of 3 timers is needed.
The other is an issue with the coin input, it says "Coin Error" and resets when I try to insert a coin, but if I set the game to free play mode, it plays fine.
The third problem, the game isn't compatible with the FAST_OP_FETCH in the sh2 cpu, but I optimized the regular op fetching code to be almost (85%) as fast.

I'll post something as soon as I make progress!
best regards,
- dink

Please add your update to the svn, I think I can at least fix the coin issue.

Offline dink

• Administrator
Hey guys,
I got the music to start, and the coin input to work, it was an irq triggering issue, although its not perfect, halfway through the first level, the music cuts out when its supposed to loop.  I think the irq's need to be tweaked a little bit, because when I get things working (in DrvFrame) for Sengeki, it breaks Cyvern(which runs perfect, otherwise).  Instead of creating a separate DrvFrame, I'm going to try to work things out, because something definitely is not right.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Great news :) I've been working all day on the Kaneko Suprnova driver stuff & SH-2 CPU core. (actually, all the last 3 days)

Sengeki Striker is now 100% (although I only played until level 2's endboss, will do a full playthrough just to be sure soon)
Puzzloop, Teljan, Senknow works fine also!
Gals panic 2 and 3 sorta works, but it don't draw the lines. I suspect the graphics routines in the Suprnova driver need to be updated a bit.
That's it for now, I'm exhausted after this 3-day marathon debugging/code session  :p
EDIT: p.s. got music working in Sol Divide  :biggrin:

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:06:48 AM by dink »

Offline Haze

• MAME Devs
the GP games make extensive use of the RAM based characters.

be sure to play Saru-Kani-Hamu-Zou instead of Vs. Block Breaker, if only for the bizzare intro song.

Offline dink

• Administrator
Good call, it sorta reminds me of the Time Bokan a little bit :)

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
Great news :) I've been working all day on the Kaneko Suprnova driver stuff & SH-2 CPU core. (actually, all the last 3 days)

Sengeki Striker is now 100% (although I only played until level 2's endboss, will do a full playthrough just to be sure soon)
Puzzloop, Teljan, Senknow works fine also!
Gals panic 2 and 3 sorta works, but it don't draw the lines. I suspect the graphics routines in the Suprnova driver need to be updated a bit.
That's it for now, I'm exhausted after this 3-day marathon debugging/code session  :p
EDIT: p.s. got music working in Sol Divide  :biggrin:

best regards,
- dink

Excellent job!!! i bet your glad that after 3 days of hard graft you've got something to show for it :wink:

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
You desperately need to post some screenshots dink! Excellent work. :)

That also reminds me that I need to set up inputs for a few games.