Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 761246 times)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Since about the first week or so I started working on FBA, I've been trying to get savestates working on the IREM M62 system.  nomatter what I tried, the sound system would keep messing up on savestate load.   A few weeks ago, me and iq_132 tried fixing it together on irc, and we thought we had it.. but, false alarm, it only worked by coincidence.  Back to square one.
Today I dug really deep into the cpu core, and found a few variables that weren't getting saved in the savestate mechanism, I thought - hey! this should fix it..  Turns out I was wrong again...
Went out to eat, thought about it a bit... Seems like I'm turning into a code-zombie again...
Did a little more tracing, and relized, that none of the CPU registers were getting saved at all!  Deep in the cpu core(HD63701), there lies a static local structure/variable that contains the cpu registers, and this is never copied over to the interface-side of things.  Well derrrr!!

Fixed that up, and now things are working properly.  Something that had been a total mystery to me over the past 6 months, finally fixed.  wooohoo!!  :biggrin:

p.s. on top of the irem m62 states getting fixed, it should also fix states for Pac-Land and any other game that uses this cpu core.

Thats it for now!
best regards & happy gaming,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Re: dink's FBA Fixes thread (battle garegga, scramble, super cobra, tengai & more)
« Reply #301 on: September 01, 2014, 01:16:30 AM »
Thanks to the fix to the m6800/hd63701 cpu core made earlier today, savestates are now enabled and working for Pac-Land (The arcade version), SkyKid, Dragon Buster, Alien Sector/Baraduke & Metro-Cross.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Re: dink's FBA Fixes thread (battle garegga, scramble, super cobra, tengai & more)
« Reply #302 on: September 02, 2014, 03:08:32 PM »
Hi friends & fans of FBAlpha,
Not much news from me today, just fixed the music in Baraduke/Alien Sector and Metro-Cross.  These games sound great now :)
Think I might take a break from coding and play some games before I turn into a code-zombie permanently.

best regards,
- dink

Offline cmart

• Newbies
« Reply #303 on: September 02, 2014, 07:24:13 PM »
Awesome job Dink. Your work is really appreciated.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #304 on: September 04, 2014, 03:02:40 PM »
:D

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #305 on: September 04, 2014, 03:11:19 PM »
Just a little update,
Yesterday: fixed a problem with Robocop 2 - the sprite layer was skewed by -64px & sporatic load problem with The King of Fighters 2003 - big thanks to c(s)mart and gamez fan for finding these bugs :)
Today:
Started doing some mega-debugging on Robocop2 / The Cliffhanger to try and get the driving scenes scrolling proper.  Since the column scrolling was completely broke ( remember Caveman Ninja?  http://neo-source.com/index.php?topic=2487.msg16406#msg16406 ), its possible that the rowscrolling is also broke in someway or another.  Either that, or the raster effects aren't implemented, which I'm worried might be the case.  Either way, expect a fix from me soon :)

best regards,
- dink

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 03:18:58 PM by dink »

Offline Haze

• MAME Devs
« Reply #306 on: September 06, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
edward randy also uses rasters for the clouds on the plane scene fwiw

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #307 on: September 15, 2014, 02:22:33 PM »
The other day I updated the DMA transfer routines in the Megadrive driver, which fixed a couple games, notably X-Men 2 - whenever something got killed, its sprite/bits of its body would stay on the screen.  Theres another game that it fixed, but I can't remember it at this time.. derr!  Well, big thanks to Freddy for finding the bugs and then testing the fix :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline JacKc

• FBNeo Dev
  • Hasta la vista, Baby !
« Reply #308 on: September 15, 2014, 04:01:41 PM »
awesome job as always dink  ;p

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #309 on: September 16, 2014, 12:32:58 AM »
Thanks JacKc!  and double thanks for helping with theglad (and everything else) :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2014, 01:20:00 AM »
Possibly bug-related, but a call for help :)

FBA Always sets the default coin & start for player 3 and 4 (aka p3coin 7, start 3, p4 coin 8, start 4), and these macros always conflict with my gamepad macros.
I created a player3.ini preset with the following:
Code: [Select]
FB Alpha [DEBUG] - Hardware Default Preset

Generic hardware

version 0x029732

input  "P3 Coin"          undefined
input  "P3 Start"         undefined
input  "P4 Coin"          undefined
input  "P4 Start"         undefined

and in fbaxp.ini,
Code: [Select]
// Player default controls, number is the index of the configuration in the input dialog
nPlayerDefaultControls[0] 15
szPlayerDefaultIni[0] config\presets\preset.ini
nPlayerDefaultControls[1] 15
szPlayerDefaultIni[1] config\presets\preset.ini
nPlayerDefaultControls[2] 15
szPlayerDefaultIni[2] config\presets\preset3.ini
nPlayerDefaultControls[3] 15
szPlayerDefaultIni[3] config\presets\preset3.ini

But still, player 3 and 4's default settings are still set with the default values for coin/start.  So, the question is - how can I get it to blank out the values for player 3 and 4 by default, when a game configuration in config/games doesn't exist?

thanks and best regards,
- dink

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #311 on: September 16, 2014, 04:33:27 AM »
edward randy also uses rasters for the clouds on the plane scene fwiw
Edrandy has some funkyness going on. Level 2's road is a broken mess.  Even with rasters hooked up.

Offline Haze

• MAME Devs
« Reply #312 on: September 16, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
Edrandy has some funkyness going on. Level 2's road is a broken mess.  Even with rasters hooked up.

It uses the protection there afaik

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #313 on: September 18, 2014, 03:23:16 AM »
From the Wednesday night 2014 FBA-Code-a-Thon, starring iq_132 (Konami) and derek (inputdialogue), comes:

A New FBA Feature
--
Pause and FFWD can now be mapped via the input mapping dialogue for the default preset (global/every game) or per game :D

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 03:24:56 AM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #314 on: September 19, 2014, 01:43:02 AM »
Here's the 2nd revision of new & handy button mappings - this time we get Save/Load & Undo State (to the current active slot, of course).
p.s. To make the settings global/the same for every game: set these up in [any game of your choice] and save it to your default preset.