Author Topic: How do arcade games get selected for new FB Neo development?  (Read 3179 times)

Offline lfrank22001

How do arcade games get selected for new FB Neo development?
« on: January 31, 2021, 01:20:18 PM »
Hey all!

New to the forum. I was wondering how do arcade games get selected for FB Neo development?

Background to my question: I'm working on building a 4 player cabinet and looking at 3 or 4 player arcade games that will work with Retropie on a Raspberry Pi 4 running FB Neo. Most 3 and 4 player games are supported by FB Neo, but as I was going through the current FBNeo Game List (the game list I am using is here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/libretro/FBNeo/master/gamelist.txt), a few games stuck out that are missing. Most notably, Bally Midway's Xenophobe (1987), Sega's Spider-man The Video Game (1991), Sega's Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder (1992).

On the FB Neo Discord, I was informed that the game list I am using is auto-generated, so those three games definitely aren't supported by FB Neo. I was also informed that
 Team FB Neo doesn't take requests for games to add to FB Neo. Hence my question, if team FB Neo doesn't take requests, then how do games get selected for FB Neo development?

FWIW: the only other 3 or 4 player games I spotted that are missing from FBNeo are: Arabian Fight, Brute Force, Exvania, Gauntlet Legends, Gauntlet Dark Legacy, Knuckleheads, Numan Athletics, Mach Breakers Numan Athletics 2, and Pig Out. 

Thanks for the help.

Lee

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
Re: How do arcade games get selected for new FB Neo development?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 02:21:09 PM »
how do games get selected for FB Neo development?

No fancy planning : devs start working on a driver they are interested in, and ask for backup from other devs.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 08:26:55 PM »
This is a hobby software, so we work on the things we like.  Personally I like early 80 to mid 80s games, so those get the most attention from me.

There is nothing stopping you, or anyone else from learning the language (C, with a little tiny bit of C++), and either porting or emulating from scratch any system of their liking.  It just takes time.  I just spent a solid 10 days on finishing up the Midway Y-unit system, and that doesn't include the 2 days iq_132 put into it and the 2-3 days it took to port/learn/finish the tms340x0 cpu (its a beast!)

best regards,
- dink

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 09:13:28 PM »
Because this is a hobby, I work on things that interest me. Asking for games to be added to any emulator is generally seen as a "faux pas." It is seen essentially as the person asking not appreciating what they've gotten for free and asking the developers to work on what they want instead of what the developer wants.