Author Topic: Is some one porting the Final burn for embedded platform?  (Read 40419 times)

Offline seaside

Is some one porting the Final burn for embedded platform?
« on: September 25, 2012, 11:10:34 AM »
such as linux,wince/winmobile/android

Offline Twinaphex

Re: Is some one porting the Final burn for embedded platform?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 05:57:36 PM »
Linux does not have anything to do with 'embedded'.

Anyways, fba libretro runs on Linux (and soon to be) Android.

Somebody might donate a WP7 phone down the line, so that would cover that too.

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 08:28:05 PM »
Today I got FBA libretro running on Android. I threw a couple of ROMs at it and the bigger-sized ROMs like KOF 99 run despite claims of Android apps being limited to 32/64MB RAM - it seems these limits do not apply for native apps, which is how RetroArch Android has been programmed as.

I will commit the new patches soon to the FBA devs so that these can be pushed upstream. At the moment, RetroArch Android will be aimed at devices that are running Gingerbread and up - anything lower is not really worth bothering with because of how limited the NDK was in previous versions.

Every core runs now - the main problem now is optimizing the GL driver, implementing sound (either OpenMax or OpenSL would do), and handling all input in native code.

Performance right now is worse than the Wii (Allwinner A10 Cortex A8 1.2Ghz CPU with Mali-400 MP GPU and around 512MB/1GB RAM) - hopefully that will change as soon as we've identified the bottlenecks in the GL code.

And yes, RetroArch Android as well as all the emu cores will be totally free -none of that 'payware' sh** thanks very much - time to bring back the original spirit of homebrew to these 'app store' 'scenes'.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:34:31 PM by Twinaphex »

Offline trickytree

• Newbies
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:02:46 PM »
That's interesting - like buses, you wait ages for FBA on Android and then two turn up at once:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1932280

Looking forward to both! :smilie:

Offline KingHanco

• "Special " Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:16:36 PM »
Can you upload that onto https://play.google.com/store?hl=en

My friend have a Android.

Offline adjonk

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 06:26:28 AM »
Does anybody know how compatible  fba core might be with WinRT (Win32 replacement for Windows 8 app) ?
Since directx and C++ are supported (with some restrictions) on WinRT, fba could become a nice WinStore App.
The only issue is to locate all fba Win32 system calls which disapeared in WinRT and of course rewrite the interface Modern UI style...

Any idea ?

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »
OK, so I waited before commenting on that other 'port' until it had actually been released.

And just like I suspected, it's once again all about 'making money' with the 'donate version' (2.99 Euros here). Yes, I know there is a 'free' public download on xda-developers - doesn't matter - the masses don't even know nor care that an 'apk' is available somewhere on some obscure site since most phones/tablets are unrooted and they can only install stuff from the App Store - so where do you think they will be getting this from? That's right, you'll have to pay the emu porter to be able to use the emu port - ie. the 'donation'.

And again, the source is not really made available to the public in any useful way - he says libafba is licensed under the GPL, but no link on where to get his 'source' (not that I really need it - FBA already runs here on RetroArch Android - but still, it is my RIGHT provided by the GPL that I can look at any derivative sourcecode).

libafba, like FBA, is released under the GNU GPLv2 licence: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0-standalone.html

(Actually, I'm not sure if FBA is licensed under the GPL 2. Perhaps somebody from the FBA dev team can make that clear).

His previous library version of gngeo also didn't have the source put up somewhere at a publicly available site - you had to personally e-mail him in order to get the source. I mean this is just bullshit - nobody should have to PM anybody in order to get the source - this should be publicly made available and it's the developer/porter's responsibility to put up your sources, no questions asked.

And sorry but I'm going to put my foot down on this sh** - just to make it clear what RetroArch and libretro will NOT be about - and the second reason why it's going to be on Android beyond being merely about 'playing games' - it's also about changing the business landscape there - and more importantly, 'killing it off'.

RetroArch and its ports is NOT about making money - RetroArch will be for free, on any console, on any tablet, on any phone, whatever. Anybody who will ever pay money for any libretro port or any RetroArch port - know that you have been scammed and that you should demand your money back from whomever ripped you off.

This is why it's important that RetroArch makes its appearance on these 'App Stores' for free - to totally kill off this 'make a quick buck by making emulator ports' business. No, you shouldnt feel 'entitled' to making money just because you can port an open source emu - no, putting up a 2.99 Euros version without ads is not really a 'donate version', no, just because the GPL makes it 'possible' for you to do this shouldn't mean that you should do it.

These 'App Stores' and this whole new way of 'making homebrew/doing business' is f***ing up the original spirit of homebrew and open-source. You can call me crazy now, but a few years from now  and when everything will have a price tag associated to it and nobody will have the inclination to release any source anymore you will know that I was right. Everybody championing this sh** on happening on the Android App Store/Apple Store is a pallbearer who never gave a damn about open source and free software in the first place.

f*** this entire 'monetizing your apps/port' sh**.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 11:51:45 AM by Twinaphex »

Offline niabi

• Newbies
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 10:47:54 PM »
I totally agree with you, he is not asking for donations, he is selling a version  of FBA, although, he might be doing a workaround on this... he is not really selling the "core" just the front end... but he is still not releasing the source for libafba ...

he seems to be doing the same for several other emulators as well
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:49:57 PM by niabi »

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 01:19:40 AM »
On Android you will always compile your emulator C/C++ core separately as a native library - so that part is no different from any other emu that has been released. Also, one does not work without the other - everybody understands this.

Anyways - I'll be committing an update to the libretro port soon - hopefully the FBA devs can push it upstream - it will have an Xbox 1 solution, Android makefiles and more improvements.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:22:23 AM by Twinaphex »

Offline niabi

• Newbies
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 01:46:22 AM »
yeah I understand, just I notice that he might be doing a "workaround" then he can claim he is just selling the front end... shaddy on my book :)

I am looking forward for your release :)

I am rocking RetroArch on my 360 jtag ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 01:47:25 AM by niabi »

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 10:25:54 AM »
Wow -

Quote from: Cpasjuste
Well there's a few things to clarify.

- First: FBA is based on FB which is based on a multitude sources under the GPL licence. The GPL allow monetisation and donation. FBA author can't claim its own licence ...

- Anyway: aFBA is just a frontend to libafba and so can remain closed. libafba, which is a port of FBA is released under the GPL licence as stated on the market and so sources are available on demand.

So thanks to worry about me internet police but all is ok there.

I saw this douchebaggery happen before with ekeeke and Genesis Plus GX ports on Android (the one by Halsafar charging up to 5 dollars) and I personally made sure in this instance (Halsafar) that ekeeke got his wishes granted and that the 'payware' version got reinstated into a free version (this was after having to go through a lot of stonewalling, circular reasoning and outright fights with this Halsafar guy because he didn't want to do the right thing and do what the author had requested him to do so). This is why I was booted off a site called Homebrew Cafe - but to tell the truth I really decided to leave because he started to sell other ports just as carelessly and I didn't care to be around this guy by that point.

It's just damn sad this scene is redefining the definition of being a 'scab' - at least I can do my part and make sure RetroArch upsets this economic landscape in that scene.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:31:14 AM by Twinaphex »

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 01:06:34 PM »

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 03:54:21 PM »
Quote from: Capsjuste
Since im not at home i'll reply in details later but you can write to anyone you like, libfba is free and source code available (you'll get it dont worry), no licence is actually broken even "your" licence so good luck with that.

Else i would return your compliment: you cant use licenced part/modules and apply your own.

Last but not less the frontend (which is closed sources and can remaind so) is also available for free.

iq_132 - it's unfortunate you had to be made aware of the ugly attitude that this new breed of 'porters' have - with absolutely zero respect being given to the wishes of the original authors. it's really just amazing that a porter like this states plain clear in your face 'good luck with that, I'm still going to make money off this'.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:32:38 PM by Twinaphex »

kev

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »
I've reported it to google. From experience they are pretty good at removing stuff from the store.

Made a post. I don't expect much.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1932280&page=6

Offline niabi

• Newbies
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 06:26:32 PM »
iq_132 - it's unfortunate you had to be made aware of the ugly attitude that this new breed of 'porters' have - with absolutely zero respect being given to the wishes of the original authors. it's really just amazing that a porter like this states plain clear in your face 'good luck with that, I'm still going to make money off this'.

yeah, that dude is a big ahole!