Author Topic: Wolf Unit games(ie MK, UMK3) in Final Burn  (Read 4017 times)

Offline isamu

Wolf Unit games(ie MK, UMK3) in Final Burn
« on: December 15, 2020, 05:01:32 AM »
Hi guys. It's been a long time coming and I've been away from any Final Burn activity for a long time, but I just wanted to say it's really nice to come back and see Wolf Unit games working well in Final Burn. Yes I am late to the party, as I vaguely remember there being minimal progress on this many many years ago(circa 2014 maybe?).

This has certainly piqued my curiosity, so I'm just wondering....Can anyone tell me when exactly the emulation went from preliminary and rudimentary to full blown "arcade perfect" playability? How long has it been in "perfectly playable" status? I'm also curious when it was implemented in Fightcade does anyone know?
GENTLEMEN: START YOUR ENGINES!!

Daytona USA is emulated for the PC.

*NOTHING more needs to be said*

Offline isamu

Re: Wolf Unit games(ie MK, UMK3) in Final Burn
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 05:04:47 AM »
Another thing I'd like to mention....

I *DO* notice that there appears to be a slight difference in smoothness when running the Mortal Kombat games here in FBN compared to when they're running in MAME. The games somehow appear to run silky smooth in MAME, whereas in FBN they seem to be running at somewhere between the 45-50fps range. I could be very off on this and maybe it's plcebo, and yes, I *DO* know that the original arcade board runs them at native 53fps. But even running at native 53fps in MAME they MK games still looks a bit smoother. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it something that a result of the emulation still being in WIP?

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 08:16:16 AM »
1. If you have any respect for us, don't use fightcade and don't ask us information about it : they are breaking our license by not publishing their code and making money from our work
2. I believe most wunit & tunit improvements are less than 6 months old
3. Your difference in smoothness sounds like the frame dupe issue that was fixed months ago

Offline isamu

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 09:37:20 AM »
1. If you have any respect for us, don't use fightcade and don't ask us information about it : they are breaking our license by not publishing their code and making money from our work
2. I believe most wunit & tunit improvements are less than 6 months old
3. Your difference in smoothness sounds like the frame dupe issue that was fixed months ago

Thank you for your reply. I apologize about the FC question, I was totally unaware of the situation. That is very unfortunate. I'll send a message to Pofpof about this issue and see what he has to say. If what you say is true then shame on him :(

Frame dupe issue huh....OK well, I'll try running UMK3 in the latest version and see if it runs any smoother.

Anyway keep up the good work guys. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 10:10:53 AM »
Yes we did recently fix a bug (thanks Romhack for finding the solution) that got us running perfectly smooth, please give the latest version a try?

Always the latest build:
https://github.com/finalburnneo/FBNeo-WIP-Storage-Facility/releases/download/appveyor-build/fbn-win32-gcc.7z

best regards,
- dink

Offline isamu

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 07:05:32 PM »
Yes we did recently fix a bug (thanks Romhack for finding the solution) that got us running perfectly smooth, please give the latest version a try?

Always the latest build:
https://github.com/finalburnneo/FBNeo-WIP-Storage-Facility/releases/download/appveyor-build/fbn-win32-gcc.7z

best regards,
- dink

Just tried it and yup! Running perfectly smooth now,  so looks like it was the frame dupe bug. Thanks guys. This emu has come a long long way. I'm an old ass OG user and was around when the first Final Burn first hit the scene back in what....the late 90's LOL? What was the original author's name....Davey or something like that right? I wonder if he's still around.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 02:06:38 AM »
Just tried it and yup! Running perfectly smooth now,  so looks like it was the frame dupe bug. Thanks guys. This emu has come a long long way. I'm an old ass OG user and was around when the first Final Burn first hit the scene back in what....the late 90's LOL? What was the original author's name....Davey or something like that right? I wonder if he's still around.

That dave left the emulation scene a long time ago, the first final burn release was in 2000, more details on this wiki : https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/FinalBurn_Neo