Author Topic: Surface RT port  (Read 8253 times)

kev

Surface RT port
« on: January 14, 2013, 07:13:44 PM »
I've started to port FBA over to the surface RT (but in win32 mode, so you'll need to jailbrake for now)

I've got everything building and it does run but currently have a few nasty crashes in burner and no easy way of debugging for example on the rom selection dialog. In theory it all works fine from the command line however (and if you hard code the rom selection) but it's also missing controls currently due to a lack of directinput 8.

Just in case anyone wants to lend a hand with fixing the source, I've uploaded my changes my old github (https://github.com/tmaul/FB-Alpha). Keep in mind the drivers, etc are a year or so out of date at the moment, but that'll change when the UI stops exploding...

Offline lantus

• Expert
Re: Surface RT port
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 09:07:47 AM »
nice work!

i had thought about doing this - of course i don't actually have an RT tablet to test it on but was thinking about porting a Windows 8 store app version.  I have the VS2012 compiler and SDK installed for RT

Anywho -  How is the performance on some of the slower drivers? d_darius2.cpp/CPS3 are some examples :)

kev

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:46:06 PM »
It doesnt seem to want to load any of the cps3 roms so can't tell with that.

Getting annoyed with the crashing in the UI, so almost tempted to start again using something else instead of the windows version of burner such as SDL to start with. 

As for a proper windows 8 port, i'm not sure how the sandboxing would work wrt accessing roms? Assuming that can be worked around, I reckon a port of the 360 fba next UI would be quite good.

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 02:35:44 AM »
nice work!

i had thought about doing this - of course i don't actually have an RT tablet to test it on but was thinking about porting a Windows 8 store app version.  I have the VS2012 compiler and SDK installed for RT

Anywho -  How is the performance on some of the slower drivers? d_darius2.cpp/CPS3 are some examples :)

CPS3 is fullspeed on a dual core Cortex A9 phone/tablet with RetroArch Android and libretro FBA. Should definitely be no problem for Surface tablets given Android is as bloated and slow an OS as you can get.

Darius 2 runs like crap as it does on PS3/360  - perhaps a Cortex A15 will do significantly better than PS3/360 there.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 05:55:16 AM by Twinaphex »

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 02:40:23 AM »
It doesnt seem to want to load any of the cps3 roms so can't tell with that.

Getting annoyed with the crashing in the UI, so almost tempted to start again using something else instead of the windows version of burner such as SDL to start with. 

You could try libretro - I was able to have fba libretro working on Android as soon as I got the Makefile sorted out. I do raw video/audio/input on the FBA side which if anything should give you even better performance than having to go through the SDL driver (depends largely on your libretro implementation though). it would give you a lot of other emu/game cores to play with from day one as well if you decide to write your own libretro frontend for Surface. I don't know what Surface uses for input but if it's XInput or DirectInput (probably not) - we have a generic driver for that in RetroArch, as we do for Direct3D (9) and XAudio2. Most of the stuff should just work out of the box with minor tweaks for Surface. Git pull requests are very welcome for Surface too on the RetroArch side.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:57:11 AM by Twinaphex »

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:04:12 AM »
Darius 2 runs like crap as it does on PS3/360  - perhaps a Cortex A15 will do significantly better than PS3/360 there.
On my xbox in FBL darius 2 works fine but there's other versions of this game which play slow i guess i dont need to tell you guys this :)
fast version i use is on ninjaw.c  driver slow versions are on warriorb.c
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:20:22 AM by gamez fan »

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
nice work!

Lantus - can you try d_darius2.cpp games on XBox360? I optimised the TC0100SCN module a bit, should give some speedup on lower hardware.
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.