Author Topic: Disable music but not sound?  (Read 8316 times)

Offline delatroy

• Newbies
Disable music but not sound?
« on: September 18, 2010, 03:08:35 AM »
Hello friends. Is it possible to disable music but not sfx in game? I know you can do it in mame, but don't see a way to do it in FBA.  :eek:

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
Re: Disable music but not sound?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 05:02:46 AM »
I'm not sure, but I think that's impossible manage separately the sound effects and the music... (at least through the FBA's menu)

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 08:04:07 PM »
That isn't an option atm.  I think adding the possibility to disable certain sound effects could be an interesting feature though. ^^
I'll maybe take a look if I get time.

Offline delatroy

• Newbies
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 12:06:43 AM »
Ah that's a little disappointing! Thanks for the replies anyway. Is there a 3rd party software program that could do it? Like stripping out the sound channels or something? I don't quite know how it works.  :cool:

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:43:03 AM »
You could try the sound jukebox or the in-game sound test for the game (if these are supported for the particular game you're talking about).

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 05:28:17 PM »
At least for NeoGeo, in theory, we could do a little modification to Block a range of sound commands like for example '0x0020 - 0x004C', that would block many (if not all) the BGM sound commands for 'kof98'.

I'm gonna try this theory out in a few mins and post back how it went.

PS: btw, I don't think this is possible for all emulated hardware in FBA.

SeeYaa!
 :biggrin:

Offline delatroy

• Newbies
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 10:07:59 AM »
Captain my captain! That would be great if you have a try! I think it can be done. Maybe I'm mistaken but I seem to remember that it was possible in MAME - maybe not.

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 11:30:06 PM »
I have been studying the NeoGeo Z80 communication method for BGM / SFX and how it send commands, and I have found a way to tell the Z80 CPU to switch between sound banks, so basically I made a module that will tell the CPU to read SFX commands.

Since the game constantly send the Z80 CPU commands to play BGM I had to study how it worked. I was able to find out those commands and I made a module to intercept them and instead of switching back to BGM sound banks, it will switch or stay with the SFX sound bank.

So far most NeoGeo games are working with this SFX disabling feature and Im just finding out where are the remaining sound bank addresses for the rest of the NeoGeo drivers.

After I finish this I will post the source code and a patch for the latest binary (for those who don't know how to compile it).

PS: The same method does work to disable SFX as well to hear only BGM while playing NeoGeo games. I am only doing this for NeoGeo ATM, but QSound / CPS1 may have a similar way to tell the CPU to disable BGM.

SeeYaa!
 :biggrin:

Offline FerchogtX

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team ;)
    • FB Alpha Plus! Web Site
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 01:53:15 AM »
Wii, sounds cool, I'll definetely look forward to it :D

See ya!!! :D

Good and evil co-exist because of the balance, lies are not part of it...

FB Alpha Plus! site infos updated, see the latest info clicking on my profile link...