Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 760221 times)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Hi gamez fan :)
Just for the record, Psycho-nics Oscar isn't fixed yet, I was just documenting the bug because I started working on it.  anyways,  I think I might have jumped over a huge hurdle with Caveman Ninja though - I spent the entire weekend working on it - most of the time it was a learning experiance.  A funny thing about Joe & Mac.. After fixing it, I played the entire game from beginning to end just to make sure everything was alright.  It turns out the fix actually caused some glitches in the ending sequence, so a little while later I came up with yet another fix, to fix what the previous fix broke.   :eek:

I'll definitely take a look at Battle Shark just after I figure out Psycho-nics Oscar!
EDIT: Our hero sprite of Psycho-Nics Oscar is no longer hiding in the trees  :biggrin:
Next up: fix the palette issues on the boss character and power-ups.  (see http://neo-source.com/index.php?topic=2487.msg16408#msg16408 for more info)

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:06:09 PM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
Psycho-Nics Oscar is now completely fixed, heres the proof:

Offline dink

• Administrator
gamez fan, I did some research with Battle Shark, and found where it spazzes out (locks up) a few seconds into level 2.  Once I figure out why it is doing this, I can fix it..
EDIT: ...a couple hours later, still no dice, this is a really strange problem, gonna need some help on this one!
EDIT again, later that day.. Battle Shark is fixed, but you'll have to thank Treble Winner!  Great job buddy :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:38:51 PM by dink »

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Nice work! Looks like I added the color offset and forgot to remove it for Oscar.
Good job on cninja too. I took a quick look, but didn't go far with it. :)

Offline WILOWAR

Hi dink. Could you test these games: ROBOCOP 2, VENDETTA 2, THUNDER DRAGON 2, IN THE HUNT, BOOGIE WINGS, TASK FORCE HARRIER, GAUNTLET (after Stage 1), TURBO FORCE, CONTRA (STAGE 2), CONTINENTAL CIRCUS (JAPAN VERSION)?? I have found some glitches couple months ago when I played FBA emu  :smilie:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:55:06 AM by WILOWAR »

Offline dink

• Administrator
Thanks iq_132 :)

WILOWAR: the good news, Contra is fixed - massive thanks to Treble Winner, of course! :)

I'll see what I can do about the other games, but I can't make any promises, as I've been spending 100% of my free time just working on games that I have in my personal to-do list for FBAlpha (read this thread from beginning to end, noting the time of the messages if you don't believe me!)  But my mission is to get every game working perfectly - or at least try to, so stay tuned :)

best regards and happy [retro, of course] gaming,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
There is yet another issue in Caveman Ninja - the in-game background music plays at the wrong tempo.
Heres some soundclips to document the issue:
http://sharesend.com/tdmxd34r

I'm stumped yet again.. :/

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
EDIT again, later that day.. Battle Shark is fixed, but you'll have to thank Treble Winner!  Great job buddy :)
Thanks alot fellas Nice one!!!

Offline dink

• Administrator
I started Midnight Resistance tonight because all I wanted to do was hear that nice level-1 music, well, after the first level things started to get addictive.   One coin and only 2 deaths later I beat the game :biggrin:

Sometimes one has to take a break from working on code and enjoy some nice solid oldschool gameplay.

Offline dink

• Administrator
After lots of debugging and lots & lots & lots of trial and error, I got the music in Caveman Ninja (Joe 'n Mac) to run at the right tempo!  :biggrin:
EDIT: Playtested the game from beginning to end, everything seems 100% perfect now.

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:00:05 AM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
Hey guys,
One [most certainly!] last thing regarding Caveman Ninja:  I noticed some sound crackles which only seemed to appear around mid-level 2 to right before the boss.  It happens even more when using the fireball weapon.  I uploaded a patch to fix the issue, of course :) 

Thats all for today.
best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Tonight/today I made a little modification to fix the loud crackles/distortion in the iremga20 sound driver, which is used by irem M92(and M107) games. This improves the sound in-game for In the Hunt quite a bit.   :biggrin:

EDIT: *the next day* regarding IREM m92 savestates - fixed occasional lost sound on savestate load, some other misc crackle/distortion/clipping prevention in other sound drivers. tip: mixing 16bit samples with "sample += newsample;" can cause this issue if the result is larger than 65535 - which happens on particularly loud and/or bassy samples, use "sample = BURN_SND_CLIP(sample + newsample);" instead

Oh yea, a little playtesting never hurts :) [see pic below, game: R-Type LEO]

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 03:45:04 AM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
dink's FBA Dev Journal for Monday, May 12, 2014...

Fixed up 2 excellent games using the Seta driver:
Masked Riders Club Battle Race & Madshark had no background music - only sfx.  It turns out that the driver wasn't acknowleging irq 4, which does the sound.  After a couple other little tweaks both games play and sound great :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
dink's FBA Dev Journal for Monday, May 12, 2014...

Fixed up 2 excellent games using the Seta driver:
Masked Riders Club Battle Race & Madshark had no background music - only sfx.  It turns out that the driver wasn't acknowleging irq 4, which does the sound.  After a couple other little tweaks both games play and sound great :)

best regards,
- dink
Excellent work! As you've probably noticed by now, I have no eye for detail and am horrible with game music. Thank you for your work.

Offline dink

• Administrator
Excellent work! As you've probably noticed by now, I have no eye for detail and am horrible with game music. Thank you for your work.

I'm exactly the same, but horrible with the graphics side of things, so if you think of it - we make a good team :)