Author Topic: configure Joysticks and bios in FBNeo SDL2  (Read 7434 times)

Dani82

configure Joysticks and bios in FBNeo SDL2
« on: April 25, 2020, 11:26:43 AM »
I am using FBNeo sdl2
i want to disable the player 2
i change the keys of the player 2 in the ini file to undefined, but the emulator still enables the player 2
and i want to change the bios of neogeo to use UniverseBios if possible

Offline Forge

Re: configure Joysticks and bios in FBNeo SDL2
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 09:25:45 AM »
Hi, I'm having the same problem. I've already removed the 2nd player control in RA to None, but no use.
I'm using RA 1.8.2.
It happens with all Neo Geo games, but not with the other systems/emulators.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 12:37:52 PM »
Why do you want to disable p2 ?

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 01:35:39 PM »
In FBNeo UI we have an option for this called Clear Locking.  Basically, you can "just" clear an input or clear it with "clear lock" checked, and this will make it so that the master preset or preset file never fills it in again.  Clear locked input can also be copied into your preset file.  I think the SDL version should try to implement this feature.

Clearing an input results in this, in the game's ini file: (let's use the Reset input as an example)
Code: [Select]
input  "Reset"            undefined
When it's clear, it can still be re-assigned the next time you load a game using the preset file or "master preset" code in burner.

Clearing an input with Clear Lock checked keeps it clear forever, until you change it again.
input  "Reset"            switch 0x00

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 01:45:00 PM by dink »

Offline Forge

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 02:45:38 PM »
Why do you want to disable p2 ?

Because otherwise, every time I start a new game which has an option for 2 players, the 2nd player is automatically activated, and suddenly I'm controlling both characters (or ships) with one controller. Not bad in shoot/beat-em-ups, but for fighting games, it's a drag.

Offline Forge

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 02:46:57 PM »
In FBNeo UI we have an option for this called Clear Locking.  Basically, you can "just" clear an input or clear it with "clear lock" checked, and this will make it so that the master preset or preset file never fills it in again.  Clear locked input can also be copied into your preset file.  I think the SDL version should try to implement this feature.

Clearing an input results in this, in the game's ini file: (let's use the Reset input as an example)
input  "Reset"            undefined
When it's clear, it can still be re-assigned the next time you load a game using the preset file or "master preset" code in burner.

Clearing an input with Clear Lock checked keeps it clear forever, until you change it again.
input  "Reset"            switch 0x00

best regards,
- dink

Thanks for the reply, dink, but I'm using Retroarch - is there a way to do that in there?

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 03:55:54 PM »
Because otherwise, every time I start a new game which has an option for 2 players, the 2nd player is automatically activated, and suddenly I'm controlling both characters (or ships) with one controller. Not bad in shoot/beat-em-ups, but for fighting games, it's a drag.
I have a feeling your real issue is that you are using a dualshock controller behind some third party software that turns it into xbox controller without hiding the original dualshock controller, resulting in your controller being recognized as 2 controllers (hence controlling both p1 & p2). I know since i ran into that crap not long ago (fixed after uninstalling/deleting everything controller-related).
Either that or you are actually configuring RA to use the same controller for both player.

Well, you can either fix your setup, or unmap everything (or maybe only p2 start ?) in "quick menu > controls", i recommend the former though.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 04:02:52 PM by barbudreadmon »

Offline Forge

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 08:05:39 PM »
I have a feeling your real issue is that you are using a dualshock controller behind some third party software that turns it into xbox controller without hiding the original dualshock controller, resulting in your controller being recognized as 2 controllers (hence controlling both p1 & p2). I know since i ran into that crap not long ago (fixed after uninstalling/deleting everything controller-related).
Either that or you are actually configuring RA to use the same controller for both player.

Well, you can either fix your setup, or unmap everything (or maybe only p2 start ?) in "quick menu > controls", i recommend the former though.

Thanks for the reply, barbudreadmon. Using Windows 10 and a logitech controller, you're probably right. But it doesn't happen for the other emulators/systems in Retroarch, but I don't know how to configure the FBNeo core in Retroarch, like dlink said. Unless I download the standalone FBNeo program.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 12:27:37 AM »
Unless I download the standalone FBNeo program.
Either that or you fix your setup, your controller isn't supposed to control p1 & p2, did you look into "settings > input > port X binds > device index" ? Looks to me like you might have the same value for both controller (except if your controller is really recognized as 2 separate controllers due to some third party software)

Offline Forge

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 07:14:55 AM »
Either that or you fix your setup, your controller isn't supposed to control p1 & p2, did you look into "settings > input > port X binds > device index" ? Looks to me like you might have the same value for both controller (except if your controller is really recognized as 2 separate controllers due to some third party software)

I only have one player enabled for Retroarch, and if I play a SNES game with SNES9x, I don't have this problem. But thanks for trying.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 03:40:15 PM »
I only have one player enabled for Retroarch

That's not what i asked though, fwiw i confirm retroarch doesn't care about the number of players you set, it keeps transmitting other player's inputs anyway. Comparing this to snes is irrelevant, arcade machines don't have a concept of unpluging a controller. So again, i recommend fixing your setup, your real issue is that your controller is sending inputs for both p1 & p2.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 04:05:13 PM by barbudreadmon »

Offline Forge

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 02:48:46 PM »

"settings > input > port X binds > device index" = dual action gamepad
It's a Logitech Gamepad F310.

"arcade machines don't have a concept of unpluging a controller."
In fact, when I run the MVS 4P Key System Check ROM, it does show the 2nd player (only) keys being pressed at the same time as player 1.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 06:40:50 PM »
"settings > input > port X binds > device index" = dual action gamepad
It's a Logitech Gamepad F310.
I guess that's for port 1 binds, what about port 2 binds ? Is that set to none as it should ? (if it's hidden because you set max player to 1, make it appear by setting it to 2 again)

Offline Forge

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 10:48:29 PM »
I guess that's for port 1 binds, what about port 2 binds ? Is that set to none as it should ? (if it's hidden because you set max player to 1, make it appear by setting it to 2 again)

It worked! I increased the number of Max Users to 2, went to Port 2 Binds, Device Type was None but Device INDEX was Dual Action Gamepad. Once I disabled the Device Index in Port 2 Binds, the FBNeo games started working only for Player 1!
Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 07:13:20 AM by Forge »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 01:53:19 AM »
Device Type was None but Device Type was Dual Action Gamepad.

Your probably meant "Device Type was None but Device Index was Dual Action Gamepad".

Some explanation : in libretro cores device type is used to tell which type of controller is plugged, by convention setting device type to "none" means telling the core that the controller is in an unplugged state, which can be important for systems that check if controllers are plugged, however there is no such concept for arcade machines, which is why setting device type to "none" doesn't do anything here. So if your port binds are in a state where they would send something (and setting max player to 1 and/or device type to none doesn't seem to prevent RetroArch from sending their inputs), FBNeo won't ignore them. Tbh, it looks like a RetroArch bug to me (it shouldn't send those inputs, period), even if i guess i could implement a workaround by telling the core to ignore those inputs, not really thrilled by the idea though with the level of complexity this core already has for its input layer.