Author Topic: FBA record option  (Read 6054 times)

Offline 61zone

• Newbies
FBA record option
« on: December 17, 2017, 07:22:03 AM »
are there any updates coming for recording video with FBA? Cause current one is backdated for so many years. I'd love to capture high quality video with FBA and I'm sure many of other users like that same.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: FBA record option
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 08:49:03 AM »
are there any updates coming for recording video with FBA? Cause current one is backdated for so many years. I'd love to capture high quality video with FBA and I'm sure many of other users like that same.

The current FBAlpha has an avi writer (Game -> Record AVI), I use it with the x264vfw codec to output a nice x264 avi for youtube.  I use in 2x pixel mode (Options -> AVI Writer output size) and then sometimes use ffmpeg to convert to 720p60 for yt.

best regards,
- dink

Offline 61zone

• Newbies
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »
The current FBAlpha has an avi writer (Game -> Record AVI), I use it with the x264vfw codec to output a nice x264 avi for youtube.  I use in 2x pixel mode (Options -> AVI Writer output size) and then sometimes use ffmpeg to convert to 720p60 for yt.

best regards,
- dink

any tutorial/video how you do it? pretty noob in these stuff.

edit: tried recording. seems ok but video looks heavily pixalated. Simply put looks worse than what FBA usually shows. Any solution?

Attached my video and codec settings screentshot

Video
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:12:37 PM by 61zone »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 06:50:42 PM »
You almost have it right, try this setting for "Rate Control" -> Single Pass - Lossless
Also under "Debug" set Log Level to None.

best regards,
- dink

Offline jan_klaassen

• FBNeo Dev
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 08:03:12 AM »
I'm planning a new implementation of that some time. The idea is this: instead of encoding on the fly, it would work with input recordings -- you make an input recording and then convert that to video. It would use a modern API so it would work with any current codecs, e.g. ffmpeg. It would also use the dx9 blitter to scale the image. You would have all of its options, including the overlay, available for encoding the video.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 08:13:01 AM »
Recording while playing sort of introduces some latency into the game, so that's how I do all my videos: input record the game, then play it back while recording.

best regards,
- dink

Offline jan_klaassen

• FBNeo Dev
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »
I figured that might be an issue. :smilie:

You can't do too much with multithreading to fix it either...

Offline Fighterchar

• Newbies
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 09:56:16 PM »
Hello I would like to know how I can do to get a better result when recording, I have tried with different video codecs, I leave some images to show what is the result that I get, and what are the codecs I use. As shown, the difference between the emulator and the final video is remarkable, although no frame is lost, it looks a bit pixilated, I think it's because the size of the video is something small. What dou you recommend?

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 11:34:08 PM »
Hi,
For best results, x264vfw with "single pass / lossless" under rate control.  Also make sure debug log level is set to None.
Of course it looks pixelated, it doesn't record the effects.  But setting the codec right will get you less cloudy and less blurred video.  Also try 2x pixel size.

best regards,
- dink

Offline Fighterchar

• Newbies
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 07:37:31 PM »
The FBA recording tool is very good because they do not lose FPS, although it would be great if you can record in compatibility with the bliter used, the final result can be much better.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 09:13:33 PM »
personally, I refuse to watch a longplay video with a filter on yt.  I love pixels ;)
but, maybe if times get slow I will add the ability to record the filter.   maybe..

bye for now,
- dink