Author Topic: Capcom Home Arcade stick using FB Alpha Emulation  (Read 75660 times)

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Re: Capcom 'Home Arcade'
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 09:29:33 AM »
I'm in the strongly against camp on this as well. I am very against someone profiting from my work unless it's me, of course. I have never accepted payment for my emulation work.
I'm considering pulling out all of the code I wrote and ported for FBA-this would effectively make FBA back into just a CPS and Neo-Geo emulator. :(

kev

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 09:56:36 AM »
I'm in the strongly against camp on this as well. I am very against someone profiting from my work unless it's me, of course. I have never accepted payment for my emulation work.
I'm considering pulling out all of the code I wrote and ported for FBA-this would effectively make FBA back into just a CPS and Neo-Geo emulator. :(

Yeah. I do remember back in the day that the PSP port that someone was taking "donations" for put me off working on FB Alpha for a number of years, and it was a big part of my life before that point.

I also agree with what Haze said above re: the licencing and code situation. It's not good practice from Capcom's point of view and also probably not that great for any of us professionally at a certain level. I do have faith that this will get resolved to some degree though.

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 09:57:41 AM »

Yeah i feel ya on this, i contribute to project which some bampots are making money from due to leeching the source be it selling Rpi's with it
already installed or companies shoehorning it into terrible retro consoles, like you i've never accepted or sought payment and although it does
annoy me the thought of people profiting off the back of my graft i take the view what can ya do exactly once something is out in the wild
it cant be dragged back inside.

Offline Stifu

Re: Capcom Home Arcade stick using FB Alpha Emulation
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 10:35:18 AM »
You can't NDA something that is illegal.

Just because something is illegal doesn't mean it can't happen, right?

Edit: That thread merge was a bit confusing.

I can understand your feelings, but then again, they're essentially selling a CPS emulator here, aren't they? That said, I don't know how much you worked on the CPS side, but no doubt it benefited from the work of many people, so it's still making money off other people's work... I wonder how much Barry got out of this.

I get dink's point about the hypocrisy of having ROMs or any copyrighted content you didn't pay for, and at the same time cry about this being illegal... but then again, if licenses don't matter, maybe FBA shouldn't have one at all, or one that says "do whatever you want".

Legality aside, I think it's bad that Barry kept this a secret from everyone. From what I can see, iq_132 and dink have been keeping this project alive for a while now (+ barbudreadmon on the libretro side), and it'd be a shame if this results in contributors losing motivation or abandoning FBA.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 03:37:36 PM by Stifu »

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 07:01:38 PM »
Stifu, I will always keep this project alive, regardless of what happens.

Offline Bad Dude

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 07:44:12 PM »
Stifu, I will always keep this project alive, regardless of what happens.

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 11:32:38 PM »
Website is mostly removed. Wonder if they're reviewing the licensing.
http://www.capcomhomearcade.com/home

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2019, 01:13:10 AM »
May it be involved a not official FBA release, like FBA shuffle (NB: this is just a speculation) ?

In any case, at this point, a direct answer of Barry is needed, if only out of respect of the other FBA Devs!

PS: a "simple" observation... probably, without the various free contributions of iq_132 and dink, FBA would be "dead" years ago!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 01:37:08 AM by Gab75 »

Offline Tunes0710

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2019, 04:27:02 AM »
Looks like the website is back up and running now.
Still including the FB Alpha licensing.

Offline Robert

• MAME Devs
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2019, 12:39:00 PM »
The website had a problem yesterday before it went down. My uBlock origin counter was spinning around like the wheels in a gambling machine. Either they had runaway scripts or they'd been hacked.

Whatever the problem was, it's been fixed now.

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2019, 07:05:32 AM »
I found an article in DDAY.it (an italian online magazine) where is pointed out as the use of FB Alpha in "Capcom Home Arcade" it's a unfair and illegal "ploy" !

https://www.dday.it/redazione/30616/emulatore-capcom-home-arcade-fb-alpha-licenza

Offline Fulg0re

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2019, 10:10:38 AM »
Maybe something wo do not know 🤔

grant2258

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2019, 04:33:29 AM »
I agree with dink all his drama about licensing is not the issue(completely) its a broken trust issue of a personal nature within the group  if anything.

The issue to me is simple a bunch of guys got together made something useful and good the general consensus is  the project didnt want  commercial  cashing in. If everyone's on the same page life is good if someone gets greedy things like this happen all we can do is see what happens when the dust settles.

Money turns everything good into something none workable that why patreons rips groups apart as well when the money just comes in and its not accounted for in the disguise we have server costs ect.

I do hope this project survives this. Stand alone emulators are always the way to go for me when I want things work like they should.   

Offline hap

• Newbies
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2019, 05:52:26 AM »
It's not just contributions by active developers, but also stuff copied from other projects. Take for example Musashi(the 68K CPU core), it clearly has a non-commercial license and requires permission for relicensing: https://github.com/barry65536/FBAlpha/blob/master/src/cpu/m68k/m68kcpu.c
Now, you could close your eyes on this and think: but the one in MAME is BSD3 so it should be fine. But if you take all source packages in account, there's YM2151 as well, which is GPL nowadays(incompatible with FBA's license, unlike BSD3).

Trust between Barry and other developers isn't the only issue here. The license given to Koch(Capcom's subcontractor) is clearly bogus. Koch now knowlingly has an illegal license, and who knows what they will do. Will Koch pretend to not know about it, and lose reputation(and Capcom's too). Does Koch need to renegotiate a license and lose time and money? Did Barry breach their contract? Very troublesome to be in his shoes.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 05:56:26 AM by hap »

grant2258

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2019, 08:07:32 AM »
I not really one for debating this pointless repetitive debates about licenses personally it just control of someone else's intellectual rights emulation through software in this case.

I would be a hypocritical if i was moral outraged by a license agreement  and ignored intellectual rights. Thats just me personally the biggest outrage to me here is someones greed without including others not licenses that arent worth the paper they are not written on. Mame is fully commercial im pretty sure its including the same 68k. The license for it is here

as for the 68k license is here

https://github.com/kstenerud/Musashi/blob/master/readme.txt