Author Topic: Is some one porting the Final burn for embedded platform?  (Read 40410 times)

Offline Twinaphex

Re: Is some one porting the Final burn for embedded platform?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2012, 07:40:26 AM »
Sounds great Twinaphex. Do you have an approximate release date for libretro FBA?

I hope to have something releasable by the end of this month - it already works quite well but there are no overlay touchscreen controls right now.

RetroArch Android will be launched with a lot of libretro cores bundled in, including - SNES9x Next, FCEUmm, Genesis Plus GX, PCSX ReARMed, MAME 0.78, Mednafen PCE/Wonderswan, VBA Next, FBA, Gambatte, TGB Dual, Prboom and some other stuff I might be forgetting right now.

Offline fosamax

• Newbies
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2012, 07:43:52 AM »
That's really good news !

I would really like to be able to use libretro/retroarch with an android device like this :

One thing that could be really nice may be to have the opportunity to set different keymapping for horizontal/vertical games and allow automatic switch based on screen orientation (portrait/landscape), allowing to play vertical shooters with the right nub in portrait mode.

I'll wait patiently for yours updates !

Offline trickytree

• Newbies
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 07:51:49 AM »
I hope to have something releasable by the end of this month - it already works quite well but there are no overlay touchscreen controls right now.

RetroArch Android will be launched with a lot of libretro cores bundled in, including - SNES9x Next, FCEUmm, Genesis Plus GX, PCSX ReARMed, MAME 0.78, Mednafen PCE/Wonderswan, VBA Next, FBA, Gambatte, TGB Dual, Prboom and some other stuff I might be forgetting right now.
Wow :eek:

I don't know what half of those things are but it still sounds great.

Offline niabi

• Newbies
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 03:30:37 PM »

wow that sounds AMAZING! :D have you consider releasing as a beta to test it out ? as long as it has USB game pad support (or a way to do it) I am set :D 

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, 06:52:02 PM »
wow that sounds AMAZING! :D have you consider releasing as a beta to test it out ? as long as it has USB game pad support (or a way to do it) I am set :D

Given how this Android scene 'operates' (ie. the worst of the very worst - it makes the console scenes look respectable, and that's saying a lot) I don't think that would be a good idea at this point - the moment I'd release a beta, somebody would take it, create a Java frontend around it, change the name, claim it as their own and charge top dollar for it - so I won't make that mistake - especially not since RetroArch is GPL and Maister doesn't feel like changing the license (and I don't think I'd be able to convince him to change it to non-commercial) - so these scam artists would almost feel 'entitled' to their money by selling derivative copies of it.

Rather, RetroArch Android will be dropped at the end of the month when it's more or less ready and it will be free on that app store they love so much and on our own site so that it will be pretty pointless for any  entrepreneurial 'scam artist' to try to make money out of it since nobody is going to be paying money for an emulator/game collection that can be found for free on the same app store/Internet. The plan here is to pretty much destroy and undercut this money grubbing opportunist 'business' where everybody and his dog tries to make a living out of porting open source emulators - and to do that in one fell swoop with the key element being surprise. And with the libretro port being in mainline FBA, in the future there should be zero incentive for anybody to want to pay for payware FBA ports to begin with on Android.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:03:19 PM by Twinaphex »

Offline niabi

• Newbies
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 07:30:05 PM »
Given how this Android scene 'operates' (ie. the worst of the very worst - it makes the console scenes look respectable, and that's saying a lot) I don't think that would be a good idea at this point - the moment I'd release a beta, somebody would take it, create a Java frontend around it, change the name, claim it as their own and charge top dollar for it - so I won't make that mistake - especially not since RetroArch is GPL and Maister doesn't feel like changing the license (and I don't think I'd be able to convince him to change it to non-commercial) - so these scam artists would almost feel 'entitled' to their money by selling derivative copies of it.

Rather, RetroArch Android will be dropped at the end of the month when it's more or less ready and it will be free on that app store they love so much and on our own site so that it will be pretty pointless for any  entrepreneurial 'scam artist' to try to make money out of it since nobody is going to be paying money for an emulator/game collection that can be found for free on the same app store/Internet. The plan here is to pretty much destroy and undercut this money grubbing opportunist 'business' where everybody and his dog tries to make a living out of porting open source emulators - and to do that in one fell swoop with the key element being surprise. And with the libretro port being in mainline FBA, in the future there should be zero incentive for anybody to want to pay for payware FBA ports to begin with on Android.

totally understandable and respectable :)

Offline trickytree

• Newbies
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »

Well said. This is going to be a very nice early Christmas present.

Can I ask about screen options? I prefer nearest multiple scaling at pixel aspect ratio with no filtering - will that be possible? The MAME4Droid apps have excellent video options, as a point of reference.

Offline fosamax

• Newbies
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 11:38:46 AM »
Are there any update about a first release ?

I would like to know if the FBA and mame core will have the ability to display games by their long name (using some kind of DAT or rom list) or only by the name of the zip.

I see that mame core is based on 0.78 wich is probably a good compromise between speed and functionality (save states support).

Are you going to use only one frontend for all the cores or one frontend per system ?

Will it be possible to map keys to physical buttons ?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 02:41:20 PM »
Are there any update about a first release ?

I'm planning an initial release a week before Christmas.

I would like to know if the FBA and mame core will have the ability to display games by their long name (using some kind of DAT or rom list) or only by the name of the zip.

Not yet in the initial release. I'm planning to integrate RetroLaunch (which has the ability to do something like that) into mainline in future releases.

I see that mame core is based on 0.78 wich is probably a good compromise between speed and functionality (save states support).

If we go any lower we'll sacrifice compatibility (well, MAME 0.72 is still a good balance - I could create a separate version for mame 0.72 if it's worthwhile and if there's a big speed difference between 0.72 and 0.78) - if we go any higher we'll sacrifice speed, so yes, pick and choosing a good version of MAME for slower systems (ARM, PS3, 360)  is like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Currently the most outstanding issues in MAME are to do with this being a legacy codebase - out-of-sequency memory reading is an issue (I suspect this is what is behind the massive problems I've been having with the Midway drivers on PS3), there are some 64bit bugs still in here (this will not affect Android though as every architecture on Android is 32bit - but it does affect PC), endian isues, and other issues of the sort. I'm still hoping some people familiar with this codebase can help me out based on their past experiences with it.

Are you going to use only one frontend for all the cores or one frontend per system ?

The initial release will just have one frontend - anyway, anybody can feel free to design their own frontends - I've designed RetroArch Android in such a way that the entire program is still C (as a native activity library) but the frontend is all Java (which is totally separate from RetroArch itself) - so everyone with basically zero to no coding skills could knock up a frontend themselves if they don't like the initial one I'll be supplying.

Will it be possible to map keys to physical buttons ?

If by pressing it it sends an Android key code, then yes,it will be supported - basically, Android works in a way so that it translates Linux keycodes into Android key codes through some Java event service. So I'd expect your physical buttons to be supported yes.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:43:27 PM by Twinaphex »

Offline fosamax

• Newbies
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 02:50:33 PM »
Thanks Twinaphex for answering my questions !

Offline BritneysPAIRS

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 05:21:20 PM »
If anyone wants my help let me know...I can update the mame core to work at speed with many games...plus add lots of fixes and drivers in that core....

alot are thanks to IQ_132 :) but I also have done alot of work making this fast core work with way more games or way better.....I could also insert a different gui totally as I guess it will have the ram....

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 05:24:02 AM »
If anyone wants my help let me know...I can update the mame core to work at speed with many games...plus add lots of fixes and drivers in that core....

If you could provide the source with your changes, that'd be great - we could incorporate them into the libretro port.

Offline BritneysPAIRS

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 06:48:31 AM »
sure but it wont be that easy....iq has them.....it adds and fixed probably 1000 games in total for keymap speed or drivers....and has fixesin mame.72 and mame.84, years of work has gone into getting the most bang for your buck on an aging system and not much is left now......

id say you will need to have more than the sources to merge them....indepth knowelge to why stuff is the why it is would help alot.....

there are also sources for coinops if you search on google the mame folder will have tonnes of fixes.....there are so many missing games in the version your using and so many issues.....your welcome to the fixes.....up to you if you work as a team or not....I can only offer.....

heres is a good place to start.....http://code.google.com/p/coinops/source/browse/

your welcome to what ever you want I dont need credit or anything like that and prefer not to have it.....do what you can.....if you work it out and want more let me know....this stuff is on going........lots of the latest core is in there and being added....IQ helped lots and add the big name games mostly although I did add some myself...like raiden 2000 fighters and jet....iq added stuff like osman...boogiewings....sf1 speed fix.....I added midway speed fix....the list goes on forever....

ill leave you to it....if you ever want to gain some of the experince learnt in CoinOPS come over.....theres new stuff now like VISION that will work on PC and Android with not much work....

if I see any of the normal scene fear and politics ill opt out......but use what you want....its just a hobby ....anyone is free to use this stuff for me its about the gui as the really genius is mame fba iq haze etc they did the real work......im just making it shine where I can for the users who want this....
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:56:29 AM by BritneysPAIRS »

Offline BritneysPAIRS

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 07:00:20 AM »
PS IQ_132 your the man :) much love.....you helped the humble XBOX alot....and these to could be patched into PS3 360 or Android....you have mad skills....hopefully your work can live on in other systems......

Offline niabi

• Newbies
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 02:59:10 PM »
anywhere I could get a binary (apk) of this? to try it out