Author Topic: Question about "speed hacks" on older devices like Raspberry Pi 3  (Read 2716 times)

Offline antiriad

• Newbies
Question about "speed hacks" on older devices like Raspberry Pi 3
« on: September 13, 2022, 06:17:13 AM »
Hi,
I hope you all are doing well!

I noticed that some games have "speed hacks" options (to improve performance on less powerful devices, I suppose).

Since version v1.0.0.02 games based on System18 (e.g. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker) have become more demanding, so I was wondering if it would be possible to implement a speed hack with the old sprite "management" for devices like Raspberry Pi 3 (which still go strong!).

I'd also like to ask: generally is it still recommended to build an optimized development version for Raspberry Pi 3, or the trend now is about higher fidelity/hardware requirements, and therefore is it worth sticking to an old version? (speaking about libretro-core)

Thank you so much.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 10:20:23 AM by antiriad »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
Re: Question about "speed hacks" on older devices like Raspberry Pi 3
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 10:02:57 AM »
or the trend now is about higher fidelity/hardware requirements

FinalBurn's goal has always been to be bug-free.

No one here will be interested in reimplementing bugs. There are available alternatives if you are fine playing segas18 with those bugs.

Offline antiriad

• Newbies
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 10:19:57 AM »
FinalBurn's goal has always been to be bug-free.

No one here will be interested in reimplementing bugs. There are available alternatives if you are fine playing segas18 with those bugs.

I understand, thank you. Speaking about System18, I have not checked the changelog but I thought the update was an "improvement" not dictated by a proper bug (e.g. a graphical "glitch" immediately noticeable) as to a more accurate replica of the behavior of the original PCB.

Thank you for the clarification.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 10:33:35 AM »
the system18 games were completely borked graphic-wise, so the update had to be done

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 10:37:26 AM »
Sega System 18 previously had visual glitches, due to tile priority issues iirc.