Author Topic: Ryvius86: Development Updates  (Read 15732 times)

Offline Kev

• FBNeo Dev
  • Definitely the best Kev
Re: Ryvius86: Development Updates
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 06:50:11 PM »
@Ryvius86

Sorry to hear you've decided to go as I think you're doing a really great job working on the part of the emulator that hasn't been updated for a while. Your updates are consistent and stable and that's what the project needs most.
It would be a shame for the project to loose a talented contributor who makes a difference in just a matter of days.

I agree completely!

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 07:03:14 PM »
@Ryvius86 Dont go yet bigman we'd all like to see you stick around, take a few days to think it over im sure you'll still have the bug
to work some more on the FBA codebase.

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 01:29:46 AM »
@Ryvius86

I'm sorry to read your decision... obviously the "final choice" is yours, but (as Arcadez wrote) you should take a few days to think it over... sometimes moderating a forum isn't an easy task and it can happen to make "mistakes"... I hope you will "retrace your steps" !

Offline Ryvius86

• FBNeo Contributor
  • Magneto was right.
    • Ryvius86/FBAlphaFB
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 08:16:15 AM »
Appreciate it guys.

Kev, I'm sorry for pointing the finger squarely at you. Posts were deleted hours after you un-personed yourself from the forum, so it wasn't just you. But what was said regarding deleting posts by accident and being too lazy to check rubbed me the wrong way.

JohnnyB, I think Haze is entitled to his opinion, and I'd never want his posts removed either. He should be as welcome to speak as anyone else.

dink, I managed to fix that weird scrollbar bug you were talking about the other day, but with everything that went down I kinda forgot about it. It's a simple one, and you'll probably kick yourself, but here:

This line: xScrollBarDelta = (a == IDC_TREE1) ? -18 : 0;
Change to: xScrollBarDelta = (a == IDC_TREE1) ? 0 : 0;

It's the "TopLeft" one. Theirs only 2 lines like this in sel.cpp, so you can't miss it. The other "TopRight" one is -12 from the issue I had with the other scrollbar. You might wanna lower that one too (by a few pixels maybe, to tidy up the right hand side), but don't change this one to 0 as it moves the scrollbar way too close to the Filter tree.

Still going though, just wanted to make sure that bug gets fixed. I really like FB Alpha and you guys should be proud of it. I think it's a cracking lil emulator. Thanks again everyone, that was cool to read.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 08:50:03 AM »
Thanks, actually the bug is a little more involved than that, but you're on the right track :)  Unfortunately, just changing that will cause more issues when the list is resized later.
This is what I came up with last night, it should cover everything:  ( a later commit removes the debug printfs and counter :P )
https://github.com/dinkc64/FBAlphaFB/commit/20cb4637769986fc429a3871d3705f1fd4340e88#diff-8db68385edb2d08689701b5ba924eccb

best regards,
- dink

Offline Ryvius86

• FBNeo Contributor
  • Magneto was right.
    • Ryvius86/FBAlphaFB
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 09:54:05 AM »
Glad you sorted it man. It worked when I tested it yesterday, but I guess it was worse than I thought!

Take care man. All the best.

Offline Kev

• FBNeo Dev
  • Definitely the best Kev
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 11:31:59 AM »
Still going though, just wanted to make sure that bug gets fixed.

I respect your principles! I do hope you reconsider some day though.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 12:23:26 PM »
@Ryvius86 : That was a bad timing, censorship is not commonplace here, but at some point more drama just kept bringing more drama, and most of the devs were sick of it. No one is to blame here except the companies trying to divide and conquer. Take care, i hope you'll reconsider though.

Offline Haze

• MAME Devs
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 07:33:50 PM »
Oh, and Haze.. 99.9% of people that use emulation also use pirated games. Hardly any of them can code, and they all think gaming is better than coding. And the reason is, people like you have made it so easy for them. To say otherwise is being completely dishonest and paints the situation in an entirely different colour. I'm glad you like pink, but the world is blue. Yes, their are crazy-smart and talented people working on emulation. And I love them for it. But the law is the law. You can call it "using Capcom's IP in (your) spare time" all you want.. you're a pirate. Like the rest of us. I've never once said that FB Alpha coders deserve to to have their hard work taken away from them. Or that they owe these game companies anything. They don't. But to paint the whole emulation community in that wonderful pink light of yours is wrong. I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth. It's a logical fallacy, and a terrible way to debate an idea. And for someone to delete my response multiple times is spineless. You're not as virtuous as you think. Capcom are bummed out that people have pirated their games for 2 decades due to emulation. Then along comes Barry, from the emulation community, to sell them an illegitimate licence. Go ahead and cry capitalism all day long, but Capcom are being betrayed just as much as the FB Alpha contributors. If not more.

Well I'm simply stating that the reasons for development aren't always what you think, and in the end it is the developers who have contributed that own the code in the projects, and without them, and their reasons for contributing, that code wouldn't exist.

We actually recognized this need for MAME / commercial emulation, so spent in excess of a year of our time, often away from developing the project, to do a proper job of re-licensing everything specifically so that in cases like this Koch Media, or Capcom could take MAME 0.172 (or newer, preferably newer since there were some important CPS2 Qsound improvements etc) and put it in a commercial product like this.  This was one of the largest scale changes to happen in MAME, and significantly more work than anything else that has ever happened with the project.

FBA remained a safe-haven for people who *didn't* want their code used commercially.  There are plenty of people who feel this way, so while MAME headed in one direction, FBA remained in another, which provided a good balance to the scene, and gave options for developers.

Koch Media / Capcom got screwed over by their own laziness / trying to be cheap about the hardware requirements in this case, with Barry being the catalyst for that by misrepresenting FBA.  In that sense, after all the work we went through to make it easy for them I personally find it difficult to feel especially sorry for them.  Legitimate options were available, at no cost.  If they're getting bad press for this it's fully deserved, there's no excuse for a large company not doing a bit of due diligence.

You seem to, no matter how much effort we put in, prefer to side with Capcom / Koch Media in this, even if they ignored perfectly legitimate options that were on the table, at no cost, and instead perused ones which were obviously unsuitable which is both insulting to those who took time out from improving our emulator to, unprompted, do all the re-licensing work for them, and insulting to those who felt their code in FBA was safe under a non-commercial license.  They're not the innocent party in this, and even if you feel people have been simply pirating their games for years, it doesn't justify the behaviour.

The scene has tried to be as accommodating and helpful as possible while recognizing that some developers do prefer their work to remain non-commercial.

Anyway, I have nothing else to say on this matter, as others have said, time to move on, rebuild, create a new Final Burn, with a new name, and ensure that your message (licenses etc.) are more clearly conveyed (for example I strongly suggest putting pressure on the RetroArch maintainers etc. to show the license on startup so there can be no confusion) so that the people who contributed to Final Burn for the sanctuary of it's no commercial use clause can continue to do so without worry.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:47:17 PM by Haze »

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 10:44:02 PM »
I went through the deleted posts and restored them. Whichever mod is deleting things, please stop.

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 09:59:56 AM »
I went through the deleted posts and restored them. Whichever mod is deleting things, please stop.

As per a request that came to me via pm from an admin on here, to keep the peace i have removed my original post as the motivations
of the person hosting that site cannot be ascertained it might all be bullshit it might not be, but it's not something im personally gonna give
anymore thought to.

Let's leave it deleted and move on now, i'll not be entering into any further discussions via PM on this subject nor will i be bringing it up again
i've one more push to make later today and that'll be my last interactions with the libretro projects.

Regards.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:07:09 AM by Arcadez »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 11:20:48 AM »
As per a request that came to me via pm from an admin on here, to keep the peace i have removed my original post as the motivations
of the person hosting that site cannot be ascertained it might all be bullshit it might not be, but it's not something im personally gonna give
anymore thought to.

Really ? I'm just asking you by pm if you would mind hearing his version directly and maybe removing your link afterward, nothing more nothing less, why do you bring that up here as if i'm pressuring you ? I'm just trying to keep peace.
I'm done, i really need a break from all that sh**.

@Haze i opened a feature request about it : https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/8785 , i'm not familiar with RA's ui code myself so i just hope someone more competent will look into it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:48:36 PM by barbudreadmon »

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 11:32:50 AM »
Arcadez it doesn't concern your posts at all buddy :)

Offline 7zxkv

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 11:04:44 AM »
it would be necessary to add the hack of bk3 dx, probably the best !
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1328/