Author Topic: Endianness issues on a number of cores?  (Read 4895 times)

Offline Vague Rant

Endianness issues on a number of cores?
« on: April 13, 2014, 01:25:38 PM »
Hi. I'm a frequent user of the RetroArch port of FBA on Wii, but unfortunately there's a lot of non-working games on this platform, one reason for which is its big endian CPU. A while ago, a user (Tanuki) compiled an exhaustive compatibility spreadsheet, which has since been kept relatively up-to-date by another user (oji). The most recent version can be found in this post as of right now.

Now, a number of the games with issues are essentially unrelated to the mainline code; e.g. many games have controls which aren't mapped to RetroArch equivalents and others simply fail to fit into the Wii's limited RAM. However, some do seem to be endianness-related and some with less obvious failure states (like black-screening) could be anything. Since at least some of these issues appear to be upstream, I figured I'd report them here rather than on the libretro bug tracker.

Listed below are a handful of "big-name" games which could possibly have endianness-related issues. This basically means games that I like or am otherwise aware of, but hopefully demonstrates that the issue affects both prominent and obscure games. A good test is to compare games on a little-endian version of RetroArch, which I can't currently do personally, but which was already done by comparing against RetroArch on PC for some games in the compatibility list. Only games which have issues on Wii but are known to work on PC are listed below.

Garbled (wrong endian?) graphics
bionicc (Bionic Commando)
joemacr (Joe & Mac Returns)
osman (Osman)
pbobble (Puzzle Bobble)
terracre (Terra Cresta)
terraf (Terra Force)

Other Wii-but-not-PC issues
funkyjet (Funky Jet); input is broken
geostorm (Geo Storm); blackscreens--most Irem stuff does the same :( (same behavior on Android; likely not endian issue)
liquidk (Liquid Kids); upside-down sprite rendering
raiden (Raiden); blackscreens

The above is by no means exhaustive, nor meant as a slight against any games not included here. Also, I apologize if any of these are libretro issues rather than being endianness-related. Thanks for any interest.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:27:20 AM by Vague Rant »

Offline lantus

• Expert
Re: Endianness issues on a number of cores?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:31:51 AM »
im going to work on a new round of endian updates when i get some time over the next few weeks. updates to come

Offline vbt

• FBNeo Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:35:09 AM »
lantus what happened to your fba ports ?

Offline Vague Rant

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 05:43:25 AM »
Thanks, lantus, much appreciated. I'll look forward to your results.