Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 760115 times)

Offline fastpop72

Re: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread
« Reply #2145 on: May 21, 2021, 05:06:50 AM »
@dink

The new namcos2 commit fixes the audio part?

We could see the "forget" list games added soon?

//forget:
// finallap   - some bad gfx (title sprites), bad sound, no inputs
// finalap2   - "...all finallap-based games (incl. fourtrax & suzuka) are bugged and unplayable, even in mame"
// finalap3   - ""
// fourtrax   - ""
// suzuk8h   - ""
// suzuk8h2   - ""

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #2146 on: May 21, 2021, 08:50:24 AM »
we'll see.  I got fourtrax to work fine last night.

Offline fastpop72

« Reply #2147 on: May 21, 2021, 10:44:13 AM »
we'll see.  I got fourtrax to work fine last night.

Glad to hear!!!!

I have a question... since in FBNeo you can't map an "action" to two keys at the same time, there are few games like Krull, Total Carnage or Smash TV that needs two joystick to play (one move, the other fires) but is almost impossible to play with a gamepad with a normal 6buttons layout...

Why don't you map an additional "fake" fire button which when pressed together with a direction produces the function of the second joystick?

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2148 on: May 21, 2021, 10:50:36 AM »
FBNeo has no problem mapping mapping both ups/downs/lefts/rights to the dpad, I just tested.
To really enjoy those games, get a playstation dualshock controller with 2 thumbsticks, it's the best way to play those games besides a 2-stick real arcade panel.

best regards,
- dink

Offline fastpop72

« Reply #2149 on: May 21, 2021, 11:11:37 AM »
FBNeo has no problem mapping mapping both ups/downs/lefts/rights to the dpad, I just tested.
To really enjoy those games, get a playstation dualshock controller with 2 thumbsticks, it's the best way to play those games besides a 2-stick real arcade panel.

best regards,
- dink

Yes sure but you can't map two keys together to a stick, and playing in an arcade panel in a two-players game you need four stick!

Anyway, no problem... thank you for the quick reply!!!  ;p

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2150 on: May 21, 2021, 02:54:56 PM »
fastpop72 perhaps something like Joy2Key will be helpful for what you're trying to do?
Search for v3.7.9, it's the last freeware version, and arguably the last best version.
I use it (since 2011) to map my analog thumbstick to 4 keyboard keys (6789) and also the d-pad to the same keys.  It's nice to seamlessly switch between thumbstick and d-pad for digital (UDLR) games.  For most people I'd suggest mapping to the arrow keys though :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline fastpop72

« Reply #2151 on: May 21, 2021, 03:55:36 PM »
fastpop72 perhaps something like Joy2Key will be helpful for what you're trying to do?
Search for v3.7.9, it's the last freeware version, and arguably the last best version.
I use it (since 2011) to map my analog thumbstick to 4 keyboard keys (6789) and also the d-pad to the same keys.  It's nice to seamlessly switch between thumbstick and d-pad for digital (UDLR) games.  For most people I'd suggest mapping to the arrow keys though :)

best regards,
- dink

I'll try it thanks....

Anyway i noticed that in few games like Gondomania for example you added a third "rotate" button that works exactly like i intended.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2152 on: May 21, 2021, 08:41:11 PM »
games with a twisty joystick are a different beast altogether :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2153 on: May 22, 2021, 10:19:55 AM »
fastpop72,
so - I spent the past 2 days working on final lap, suzuka, fourtrax, got them all mostly working fine.  But then I remembered the catch with these games:
1: they all use the same "engine", or mostly the same w/simple changes
2: you're not going to play them long, because there are _no_ computer opponents.  Sure, you'll see a couple pass you when the race starts if you wait long enough, but; they don't think, they go 1/10th of the speed of anyone else, and eventually they just disappear altogether.

These games were meant for 1 thing only: linked arcade machines.  I remember in the late 90s at the big "arcade" places, they'd have 4-6 of these machines linked together, an announcer guy with a mic would pull in people to play, and start all the games at the same time, and basically you just race against the other human players at the arcade. 

It probably won't be committed to the repo until I cleanup the code a bit (probably between now and monday).  I feel like I completely wasted a good 2 days here, so going to take a nice break and work on something else for now.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, one of the best features is that you're always the winner, even if you don't move.

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 10:29:17 AM by dink »

Offline fastpop72

« Reply #2154 on: May 23, 2021, 09:29:50 AM »
fastpop72,
so - I spent the past 2 days working on final lap, suzuka, fourtrax, got them all mostly working fine.  But then I remembered the catch with these games:
1: they all use the same "engine", or mostly the same w/simple changes
2: you're not going to play them long, because there are _no_ computer opponents.  Sure, you'll see a couple pass you when the race starts if you wait long enough, but; they don't think, they go 1/10th of the speed of anyone else, and eventually they just disappear altogether.

These games were meant for 1 thing only: linked arcade machines.  I remember in the late 90s at the big "arcade" places, they'd have 4-6 of these machines linked together, an announcer guy with a mic would pull in people to play, and start all the games at the same time, and basically you just race against the other human players at the arcade. 

It probably won't be committed to the repo until I cleanup the code a bit (probably between now and monday).  I feel like I completely wasted a good 2 days here, so going to take a nice break and work on something else for now.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, one of the best features is that you're always the winner, even if you don't move.

best regards,
- dink

Didn't knew about this mode of play... surely won't be funny to play... just for driver completion.

Did you managed to fix the annoying engine sound in suzuka?

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2155 on: May 23, 2021, 10:09:25 AM »
Didn't knew about this mode of play... surely won't be funny to play... just for driver completion.

Did you managed to fix the annoying engine sound in suzuka?

I'll let it be a surprise :)  try ..

best regards,
- dink

Offline fastpop72

« Reply #2156 on: May 24, 2021, 01:37:15 AM »
I'll let it be a surprise :)  try ..

best regards,
- dink

Thank you dink!!! Another step in front of Mame!!!

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #2157 on: May 24, 2021, 09:08:35 AM »
fastpop72, Angelo Salese from MAME made the fix, so they got it first of course.

Offline retroFuture

• Newbies
  • Advanced Amateur
« Reply #2158 on: May 25, 2021, 05:50:08 AM »
Apologies if this has already been reported.
I learned that MAME has recently fixed a longstanding bug in Contra (the rolling mines on pseudo-3D level 1-2 always drift right.)
Is it possible for the FBNeo team to fix this?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:51:17 AM by retroFuture »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2159 on: May 25, 2021, 07:59:59 AM »
@retroFuture : it was fixed last month