Author Topic: Is this a bug in the source?  (Read 7219 times)

Offline nes6502

• Expert
Is this a bug in the source?
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »
I ported 0.2.96.95 to the XBOX. However, I was only getting 45-50 FPS in CPS1 games (but 200 FPS in CPS2 games). After looking at Cps1Frame() I saw this:

for (i = 0; i < 4; i++) {
   //Code here

if (pBurnDraw) {
      CpsDraw();
   }   
}

Why is the screen drawn 4 times each frame? I changed it to this:

for (i = 0; i < 4; i++) {
   //Code here
}

if (pBurnDraw) {
   CpsDraw();
}   

CPS1 then runs at 200 FPS.

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Re: Is this a bug in the source?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 07:54:50 PM »
I heard someone was doing a new fb port to xbox, but I didn't know it was you! Very nice.  Your zsnes port is fantastic!

Offline nes6502

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 08:24:07 PM »
Thank you. I would have posted this at http://www.ojko.com/phpbb/index.php?c=3, but it seems mostly used for news anouncements. There seems to be more people posting about Final Burn Alpha and it's derivatives here, so I thought I'd have a better chance of someone clarifying if this was intended or not. I don't see any graphical differences with either method, but the altered method runs 75% faster.

There is anther person updating FBA-XXX Pro (Kenshiro). I hear he's made great progress. The intent with my port was to be able to play Thunder Blade. However, the Xbox isn't fast enough to emulate the driver from 0.2.96.95 fullspeed. I then ported Final Burn 0.517. It ran 60 FPS there. So I am working on a combined version (0.2.96.95 and 0.517). Hopefully, it will turn into something people like.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:26:07 PM by nes6502 »

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 03:15:06 AM »
It looks like a bug to me - I'll take a closer look in the near future though!
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

kev

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 06:05:30 AM »
I would say it has to be a bug, the screen is cleared as part of CpsDraw() so whatever is drawn in the first 3 passes is going to be overwritten by the 4th every time.

Offline kenshiro

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 06:26:17 AM »
Thank you. I would have posted this at http://www.ojko.com/phpbb/index.php?c=3, but it seems mostly used for news anouncements. There seems to be more people posting about Final Burn Alpha and it's derivatives here, so I thought I'd have a better chance of someone clarifying if this was intended or not. I don't see any graphical differences with either method, but the altered method runs 75% faster.

There is anther person updating FBA-XXX Pro (Kenshiro). I hear he's made great progress. The intent with my port was to be able to play Thunder Blade. However, the Xbox isn't fast enough to emulate the driver from 0.2.96.95 fullspeed. I then ported Final Burn 0.517. It ran 60 FPS there. So I am working on a combined version (0.2.96.95 and 0.517). Hopefully, it will turn into something people like.

Nice to see another people works on a Xbox FBA build ;p

To be honest when i saw that thread, that was a bit "shit, another guy is working on it" lol. Now i think it's a good news, cause your build is probably (sure?) better than my FBA-XXX Pro build :idiot:

What i wanna say it's just i'm a bit tired of working on it, there's still a lot of problems with Sega drivers (black screen, crashes when exit a game etc...) and work on Neogeo sets. I start learning C language a bit less than one year, and working on a project of that size is definitly a challenge, atm i've absolutly no fun to work on it :redface:

I'm not saying i'll give up but not far away :S, and my actual interest is more in coding tools for FBA devellopers ( it's cool to write a soft at 100% by really know what i'm doing, it's definitly not the case with FBA-XXX Pro).

That's say, just let me know what you manage to do, and if i can give you parts of code (i'm thinking to the PGM code written by iq_132 for example)

Have a nice day :smilie:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:46:14 AM by kenshiro »

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 06:49:07 AM »
I would say it has to be a bug, the screen is cleared as part of CpsDraw() so whatever is drawn in the first 3 passes is going to be overwritten by the 4th every time.

That would confirm it as a bug then. :)
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.