Author Topic: FBA replay playback compatibility between versions?  (Read 4907 times)

Offline delatroy

• Newbies
FBA replay playback compatibility between versions?
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:28:50 AM »
I've done some tests and I found that you cannot playback .fr replay files in different versions of FBA. If you try, it crashes.

I've analysed both recording from different versions in HEX and the FBA version is contained in the header of the file so I changed the version number but it still crashes... Does anyone know why playback is not supported in different versions?

Offline delatroy

• Newbies
Re: FBA replay playback compatibility between versions?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 05:02:44 PM »
Anyone know? I still didn't find an answer.

Even after changing the hexed version number in the .fr file, it won't load the save state correctly.

Offline squirrel Bigcock

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 05:48:39 PM »
Probably the same reason as MAME does not replay files in older versions? But i am no expert.

Perhaps you could just record your gameplay with FRAPS or another external programme?
 It's probably easier than messing around with emulator code for hours, or having multiple old installs of FBA clogging up your PC just for replays.
Space Squirrels from Jupiter KICK ASS !!!

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:45:16 AM »
Usually a lot of code changes between fba versions. Our save states have never been the most stable part of our emulator anyway. I've got some massive changes planned at some point for the save state system, but I am lazy and have little time.

Offline delatroy

• Newbies
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 05:16:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I sincerely doubt that there are any changes in how replay and save-state functionality differs between each and every release which is why the issue has me so puzzled. Knowing the source, might you have any notion off the top of your head why savestates fail to load or cause the application to crash when run in earlier / later FBA releases?

I'm quite certain that the hexed version number located in the header is the only difference though changing it to the target FBA version allowed the replay to load without causing a crash but it does not jump to the savestate.