Author Topic: libretro fb-neo  (Read 3362 times)

Offline RandyRVA

• Newbies
libretro fb-neo
« on: September 09, 2020, 11:53:16 AM »
Does anyone know if when you update from source in Retropie it grabs the latest libretro fb-neo source?  The reason I'm asking is because Dink was cool enough to fix a few things and they don't seem to work in the libretro fb-neo version?  Do the changes need to be ported to the libretro fb-neo version or something?  Thank you to everyone who works on this project and are making fb-neo what it is!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 01:14:38 PM by RandyRVA »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
Re: libretro fb-neo
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 02:17:01 PM »
The delaying between what's fixed in standalone and its merging into libretro is short (usually a few hours), and yes if you build from source on retropie it should use latest version of the repo. Do you still have the 25pacman issue ?

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 03:36:49 PM »
I tested on retropie, there is no issue, it probably fails updating the core for some reason on your setup. Did you update your retropie-setup script recently ? I think old retropie-setup will fail building current fbneo.

Offline RandyRVA

• Newbies
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 03:37:47 PM »
Ahhhhh!!  No, I haven't!  I will update as soon as I get home.  You guys are great!  Thank you very much, I'll give it a try!  :smilie:

I just updated the Windows version and it runs smooth as silk!  Dink did a very nice job of patching it up!  I'm waiting for the Pi version to finish compiling now and then I'll check the compiler log for errors.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

EDIT: updated Retropie setup script and Retropie, then did build fb-neo from source and there is still a noticeable difference in sound when you first boot the rom and get the "three dings" at the test screen.  The start music and emulation are slower for the three games you start them (no issue on Windows though).  I'm using a Pi 2 for this project but I'm going to swap it out with a Pi 4 and see if that makes a difference.  It runs great on Windows so I know the source is good and Dink fixed it.  It must be something I'm doing wrong.  How are you compiling barbudreadmon and which Pi are you using?  Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 08:09:40 AM by RandyRVA »

Offline Stifu

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 06:03:59 PM »
I didn't quite understand what problem you're experiencing, but if it's performance related, you could also try overclocking your Pi 2 if you have not already.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 06:41:58 PM »
I'm using a pi3, maybe the z180 cpu update significantly bumped the requirements for this game ?

Offline RandyRVA

• Newbies
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 07:34:41 AM »
I've got a Pi 4 sitting in a desk drawer.  I thought about trying to OC the Pi 2 but I think I'm going to swing by Bestbuy and get the micro HDMI cable and see if the Pi 4 makes it run faster.  Is the speed is okay for you guys using the Pi 3?  I think there is issues with the Pi 4 and fb-neo from what I've read somewhere.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 07:59:33 AM »
Is the speed is okay for you guys using the Pi 3?

It's a pi3+ actually, and yes it does, i can also confirm the requirements were signicantly bumped, it seems its cpu requirement is now barely lower than a cps3 game.

Offline RandyRVA

• Newbies
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 07:44:59 PM »
It's a pi3+ actually, and yes it does, i can also confirm the requirements were signicantly bumped, it seems its cpu requirement is now barely lower than a cps3 game.

You were absolutely right, the Pi 2 can't handle it.  It's running perfectly on the Pi 4!  Thanks again guys and keep up the excellent work on the project!  :cool: