Author Topic: Samurai spirit 5 Perfect (aka the old Final Edition @ location test but patched)  (Read 23392 times)

Offline neocvera

• Newbies
The rom has been converted out of the collection and is said to be running on MisTer and Darksofts multi-cart. It?s decrypted. Some of your friends are working to get things going though. Hopefully very soon.

Offline Joaquim2020

The hack as been released. The textures are not decrypted yet. Thanks.  :wink:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 11:13:42 AM by Joaquim2020 »

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
The hack as been released. The textures are not decrypted yet. Thanks.  :wink:
The sprites are decoded. There is some confusion about the game. The emulator packaged with the rom does some "HLE", like the title screen showing "PERFECT" is actually done by drawing a bunch of .png graphics over the "special" that is normally there.
The Japanese text is changed in the emulator to show English.  There are other things the emulator does to fix some issues with the rom.

Offline Joaquim2020

FBA Print.
In the japanese bios appear this tiny demo in the beggining, in the europe version it doesn't.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:24:51 PM by Joaquim2020 »

Offline Stifu

The emulator packaged with the rom does some "HLE", like the title screen showing "PERFECT" is actually done by drawing a bunch of .png graphics over the "special" that is normally there.

That sounds nasty. I guess all those emulator-specific tweaks are the work they did just for this collection (English title screen, maybe the English localization too). That was probably easier than changing the game, since they lost the sources.

Offline KaNyErO

Well, that means that the original rom remains untouched. That are good news.

Don't worry, thousands of hacks will follow later...

I'm still looking for the rom or the tools to extract data  :p :redface:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 05:58:09 PM by KaNyErO »

Offline Joaquim2020

Samurai Spirits Hack with The Last Blade Charathers.  :biggrin:

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Well, that means that the original rom remains untouched. That are good news.

I'm still looking for the rom or the tools to extract data  :p :redface:
Did you find it?

Offline KaNyErO

« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 06:19:06 PM by KaNyErO »

Offline KaaMoS

I've been reading about censorship those days.
Quite sad, supposedly Samsho wasn't the only game that was censored due to the incident happened in 2004, however, this game doesn't look perfect in any way.

Seems like from the very beginning it would be just the finished/complete edition... but at the end, we get a game split in two. One with censorship with little dialogues and pictures, and an uncensored one, but missing those images.

This reminds me that SSVP(Japan) logo at collection, inside PC gamelist has a black sticker next to Special text. I don't know what it means but looks more professional than replacing Special with Perfect. Is far more balanced.

PS: Japan version logo also missed that black sticker, as our friend shared before. I mean, the logo that appears just before you select to play SSVP, selecting Japan with [V]
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 05:23:10 PM by KaaMoS »

Offline Stifu

Seems like from the very beginning it would be just the finished/complete edition... but at the end, we get a game split in two. One with censorship with little dialogues and pictures, and an uncensored one, but missing those images.

True. I doubt it'll happen, but I wish a crafty hacker would merge Special and Perfect together, to keep the best aspects of both games. Supposedly the fatalities were cut down from Perfect due to ROM space reasons, but I bet it'd still be possible to fit everything in a single ROM with smart space management and/or compression.

Offline Joaquim2020

I nearly wanna ask if you guys did it?

Offline KaaMoS

True. I doubt it'll happen, but I wish a crafty hacker would merge Special and Perfect together, to keep the best aspects of both games.
I didn't understand so well, but it seemed that code was lost/locked, or they'd go under law problems, but the fact is SNK wasn't interested about reopening and actually complete the original SS0SP, just took what they had from posterior tests and used it. I personally can't find this as a professional product fron where it comes (no mention about how bad SSNGCOL online gaming was, at release date).

Supposedly the fatalities were cut down from Perfect due to ROM space reasons, but I bet it'd still be possible to fit everything in a single ROM with smart space management and/or compression.
In fact it seems that the main reason was what happened in Jun 01/2004, when a girl was killed with a knife at a school in Japan, but I haven't find info about what happened with releases that included fatalities, probably those versions were already for sale when that happened, and posterior tests for "Perfect" (or what should be its real name,"Special Final Edition") had to be deleted to avoid problems.

About my earlier post, this is the logo I was talking about, looks more suited to what release should be... A "Special - Final Edition" suits far better. even its colors.
However, at the other side( USA) I sincerely hate what they did with that "Perfect" logo, those fonts don't even pair with the style of the entire emblem. If I were a hacker, I'd try to use Epic Games SSVP (JAP) game logo and would try to use it as a base for both, USA and JAP logos inside the ROM, that would be the actual logo update, instead to try to toy with that "perfect" logo which by far looks like a label put quicky to make hype.

Ah, also would be good to keep in mind that this build hasn't that man's voice telling "Samurai Shodown Special" when USA logo appears.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 11:20:52 PM by KaaMoS »

Offline Stifu

In fact it seems that the main reason was what happened in Jun 01/2004, when a girl was killed with a knife at a school in Japan, but I haven't find info about what happened with releases that included fatalities, probably those versions were already for sale when that happened, and posterior tests for "Perfect" (or what should be its real name,"Special Final Edition") had to be deleted to avoid problems.

I quote (source):

"Some Overkills were also tweaked, and got their visuals simplified," Sheffield said. "I know some folks are going to get the wrong idea about it, because the things that were removed are, for example, Rasetsumaru crushing an opponent's heart or opponents getting chopped in two. But the reason for the change isn't any kind of dumbing down of content; we actually asked about this and whether it was a reaction to some sort of blowback from the bloodier moves."

"In fact, the moves were simplified to make space in the ROM," he said. "They needed room for the new story mode cutscenes and text, and because they couldn't allocate any additional space they had to basically steal it from somewhere else in the game. So they chose a few simplifications of Overkills that wouldn't affect gameplay much in order to get the story they wanted in there."

Offline KaaMoS

I quote (source):

"Some Overkills were also tweaked, and got their visuals simplified," Sheffield said. "I know some folks are going to get the wrong idea about it, because the things that were removed are, for example, Rasetsumaru crushing an opponent's heart or opponents getting chopped in two. But the reason for the change isn't any kind of dumbing down of content; we actually asked about this and whether it was a reaction to some sort of blowback from the bloodier moves."

"In fact, the moves were simplified to make space in the ROM," he said. "They needed room for the new story mode cutscenes and text, and because they couldn't allocate any additional space they had to basically steal it from somewhere else in the game. So they chose a few simplifications of Overkills that wouldn't affect gameplay much in order to get the story they wanted in there."

Now that you mention it, I've read that other ROMsets were larger and didn't have any cut those days (KOF2003). At the end, there weren't so "many" graphics to add as you can see now. I sitck with the Japanese censorship theory,
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 05:27:16 PM by KaaMoS »