Author Topic: Can't add coins in NeoGeo MVS games in RetroArch  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Svipur

Can't add coins in NeoGeo MVS games in RetroArch
« on: June 25, 2021, 06:12:34 PM »
Tested with two latest versions of RetroArch (1.9.4 and 1.9.5) using the latest FBNeo core (1.0.0.03 324972e).

Running any NeoGeo game using an MVS BIOS results in the game not responding to the 'add coin' input.

Tested the same game using an older version of the FBNeo core (22b90a9, dated about three weeks ago) - I can add coins just fine.
Tested the same game using an AES BIOS: no need to add coins, all other inputs work fine.
Running the same game using the latest standalone version of FBNeo also works fine.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
Re: Can't add coins in NeoGeo MVS games in RetroArch
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 03:25:38 AM »
No issue here using latest FBNeo core + latest RetroArch, so that's probably something about your setup.
Are you maybe using the same button for coins and RA's hotkey ?
I remember there has always been some people having issues with this, and i believe you can increase "Settings > Input > Hotkeys > Hotkey Enable Delay (Frames)" to get around it.

Offline Svipur

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 08:29:17 AM »
Ta for checking, I'll have a look.

Update:
No hotkey conflicts here.
Using a gamepad won't let me add coins either.
Enabling Game Focus mode (effectively disabling hotkeys) won't let me add coins either.

Update 2:
Using a fresh copy of RA with the latest core works just fine on my end as well.
Using a three-week-old copy of my specific RA with a three-week-old FBN core (22b90a9) also works just fine. However, updating FBN to the latest version breaks adding coins.

Update 3:
Found the exact issue causing this. Disabling the Player 2 input device now (as of some update within the last three weeks) breaks adding coins for Player 1. Only true for NeoGeo MVS games, other arcade boards work fine. Tested and confirmed with a fresh copy of RetroArch.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 08:45:48 AM by Svipur »

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 10:04:48 AM »
Update 3:
Found the exact issue causing this. Disabling the Player 2 input device now (as of some update within the last three weeks) breaks adding coins for Player 1. Only true for NeoGeo MVS games, other arcade boards work fine. Tested and confirmed with a fresh copy of RetroArch.

for barbudreadmon:
That's a funny bug - is the disablement of player2's input pulling the inputs high or something? (like a stuck button)?
Better toss a debug printf in there and enable/disable the p2 inputs :)  I'm curious.

best regards,
- dink

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 12:59:05 PM »
That's a weird one, i'll take a look when i'm back home

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 05:40:15 PM »
Update 3:

I'm still unable to reproduce this, what's the mvs game you used for that test ? Also, how did you disable the second player ? By setting its device type to none ? By setting the maximum number of player to 1 ? I tried both methods on kof94 and p1 coin still worked.

Offline Svipur

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 06:56:24 PM »
Yep, I just set the P2 device type to None.

Tested it using MVS Asia/Eur v.6, USA v.5, and Japan v.6 BIOSes with: Cyber-Lip, Spin Master, Sonic Wings 2/3, Magician Lord, Last Blade 2, Samurai Shodown V Special. Every single one of them exhibits this behaviour.

Just tested it with KoF94, also can't add coins.

Grabbed my laptop (never had a RetroArch on it), downloaded a fresh copy of RetroArch (64bit). Installed the FBN core, copied neogeo.zip BIOSes to System/fbneo. No other changes. Dropped kof94.zip onto it. Pressed Right Shift. Coins add just fine. F1 -> Controls -> Disabled P2 input device. Pressed Right Shift. No more coins get added.

I'm at my wit's end.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 03:19:53 AM »
I'm still unable to reproduce this.
What about "Quick Menu > Controls > Port 1 Controls" ? Anything out of place in there ? Coin is properly set ?

Edit : ok, i managed to reproduce this, it turns out it's only happening on windows (i'm a linux user), i guess it's either a compiler bug or a RA inconsistency between platforms, what's very weird is that only that one coin input isn't working, all other inputs have no issue (confirmed this through diag menu). I'll try to figure out what exactly is going on later (i'll need to reinstall a development environment on windows first...), but for now i recommend not disabling that second player since there is no real reason to do that in the first place.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:47:05 AM by barbudreadmon »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 07:10:44 AM »
It seems the issue was about how different platforms/compilers were initializing the same variable with different values, my bad for leaving that decision to the compiler :redface:, it should be ok now, thanks for the report !

Offline Svipur

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 08:18:38 AM »
Cheers, Barburdreadmon!