Author Topic: How to enter the service mode in Defender & Robotron 2084 & Sinistar  (Read 2599 times)

Offline ClessxAlghazanth

As the title says  :rolleyes:

I'd like to get into the service menu and change difficulty & lives in these games , in order to progress more than 5 rounds in Robotron , and to last more than 3 minutes in Defender & Sinistar  :biggrin:

Been looking around on the net with no avail

These games don't seem to have usual dipswitch settings

Any ideas ?

Best regards :cool:

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: How to enter the service mode in Defender & Robotron 2084 & Sinistar
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 09:28:29 AM »
The Williams games have a weird way of going into service mode:
after the game boots, press Advance (mapped in inputs/F5), and you have to keep pressing advance to go through all of the tests and sooner or later, you'll hit a games setting screen where settings can be changed.

Instead of changing the settings.. I really suggest practicing more using the defaults, or even use savestates to help practice - it's a really fun way of practicing.  I'll explain:
find 2(or 3) unused buttons on your controller, for example, the shoulder/trigger buttons.  Map the "System load state" "... Save state" and "undo state" to those 3 buttons, and hit the one you've mapped to savestate every time you make good progress in the game.  If you die, hit the load state button :)   The undo button will become necessary if "save state" was used at the wrong time.

Good luck!
best regards,
- dink

Offline ClessxAlghazanth

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 08:52:04 AM »
Thanks a ton , dink !  :biggrin:

I've been getting better slowly at Robotron and Defender , even if just a little bit , using the save states better

But Sinistar seems to be a different kind of beast  :p

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 09:20:27 AM »
Great :)
Sinistar is very difficult, I can't get too far in the game, but I still play it often.  It seems like the second stage is either really hard, or a little bit more difficult than the first stage.  though, I haven't figured out what triggers the difference yet.

best regards,
- dink