Author Topic: [Request] Support for unzipped romsets  (Read 3780 times)

Offline 225

[Request] Support for unzipped romsets
« on: June 17, 2016, 09:59:21 AM »
Hi,

how is it going?

I have a question or request to Final Burn Developers:

Does or did FBA support unzipped romsets? I'm using version 0.2.97.38 since it was released and am very pleased with it. Thanks for still updating and working on this awesome arcade emulator.

Now, a concern for me is the romloading, with a zipped romset it gets unpacked on the fly every time you start the game. If you are using flashmedia like an SSD, unzipped sets would be preferred since it reduces wear & tear and being wasteful with ressources is bad.

I played Metal Slug 3 which is more than 70mb 200 times already, that's already 15,2gb written on the ssd. Unfortunately I get a missing romset error when I put the romfiles in the roms/mslug3 folder.

Also it would probably reduce the load times, I think it would be a benefit, too.

Maybe I'm wrong and FBA already supports that, but I don't know how to activate this feature.

Thanks,
greets,
Jonathan

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Re: [Request] Support for unzipped romsets
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 10:37:07 AM »
Hi,

how is it going?

I have a question or request to Final Burn Developers:

Does or did FBA support unzipped romsets? I'm using version 0.2.97.38 since it was released and am very pleased with it. Thanks for still updating and working on this awesome arcade emulator.

Now, a concern for me is the romloading, with a zipped romset it gets unpacked on the fly every time you start the game. If you are using flashmedia like an SSD, unzipped sets would be preferred since it reduces wear & tear and being wasteful with ressources is bad.

I played Metal Slug 3 which is more than 70mb 200 times already, that's already 15,2gb written on the ssd. Unfortunately I get a missing romset error when I put the romfiles in the roms/mslug3 folder.

Also it would probably reduce the load times, I think it would be a benefit, too.

Maybe I'm wrong and FBA already supports that, but I don't know how to activate this feature.

Thanks,
greets,
Jonathan
iirc the unzipping is done directly to ram, this doesn't require a temporary file to be written anywhere.

Offline 225

Re: [Request] Support for unzipped romsets
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 11:23:08 AM »
ok then i'm sorry, but the support for unzipped would still be great. when the .zip file couldn't be found, then fba could look for a directory with the same name and try to load the romfiles.

i would love to reduce the loadtimes as much as i can. please don't take this as a complaint.

is there still support for xored neogeo/cps roms? some of the larger neogeo games have to decrypt & load a lot of game assets and i assume with unencrypted roms this step could be skipped.
i don't know how the current neogeo driver code works though and if xored roms would affect the general emulation.
there is probably not much you can do about it as the og system had those loading times too.