Author Topic: Modding FB roms?  (Read 10873 times)

Offline GlowingGoy

Modding FB roms?
« on: October 14, 2019, 10:39:42 PM »
I've only ever modded games like stalker, minecaft, and other games where source code is available. And I'm looking to mod Kof 2003 (I know, weird choice but It's what I want to mod). What tools could I use to do so? My experience so far is only editing source code. I've never had to decompile anything and my knowledge of hex editing is... lackluster. But if hex editing is the best way to go about it, that's the way I'll do it. I just want to know how to go about this without wasting a f*** ton of time on research.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: Modding FB roms?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 11:41:41 PM »
research is never time wasted.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 01:35:48 PM »
Not sure there is an expert at hacking roms here, it might be a good idea to ask at http://www.romhacking.net

Offline GlowingGoy

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 12:01:53 AM »
I asked awhile back and they told me that nobody there had experience with fb roms so they told me to look for experts elsewhere.
Regardless
I've given up hope cause i managed to get into contact with the kof98 eck modder and he told me, "I could give you the program that me and others use which can edit frame data and button inputs, but I don't know who you are so I'm gonna pass".
So that sealed it for me.

Offline KaaMoS

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 07:04:00 AM »
You'll probably have to go deeper in dedicated forums. Some time ago, French ones had a lot of tools, as well as chinese ones.
In the last 15 years a lot of things have died... teams of hackers had fought internally and got dispersed, as well as against other people who was/is used to get their works and publish as theirs.
One community that is still releasing hacks and try to explain some procedures is PPXCLUB, a chinese site; however, athmosphere is not as the same as before, for the same reason I've told you.
More than that, perhams some Brazilian or Mexican blogs/forums, but, as you can see, in general, sharing tools, etc, is quite reserved.

Offline Stifu

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 01:26:04 PM »
"I could give you the program that me and others use which can edit frame data and button inputs, but I don't know who you are so I'm gonna pass".

What a shitty mindset.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 06:17:40 PM »
It's unfortunate that some people are like that, but I've seen it happen to friends and what leads up to it.  It's sad.  One can only be sh** on so many times before guards start going up. 

Offline Kev

• FBNeo Dev
  • Definitely the best Kev
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 07:04:31 AM »
It's a strong argument for some generic rom hacking tools in FBNeo. Probably not strong enough to motivate as it would be a huge (HUUUGE!) amount of work, but pissing elitists off is always a fun pastime.