Author Topic: Playing Donpachi with CD quality soundtrack on the FB Neo retroarch core  (Read 2810 times)

Offline amikipax

Hello everyone,

I am trying to play Donpachi with the CD quality soundtrack sampleset on the FB Neo retroarch core. I put the donpachi.zip sampleset (around 200 MB) in system/fbneo/samples in the retroarch directory, and I have made sure to toggle the dipswitch in the retroarch options but I didn't notice any difference from the normal soundstrack and retroarch doesn't give me any feedback if it was able to load the sampleset or not.

Am I doing things correctly ?

Thanks.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Re: Playing Donpachi with CD quality soundtrack on the FB Neo retroarch core
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 01:32:04 AM »
Hi,
It sounds like you did everything right, I just tested it on the windows version and it works OK.
Is there anything in your log file to show that it loaded the samples properly?
something like..
Code: [Select]
*** Starting emulation of donpachi - ??? DonPachi (USA, ver. 1.12, 95/05/2x).
Cheat cpu-register INIT.
CPU-registry: 68k cpu #0 ...
Loading "02 - Sortie Instruction.wav": Sample at native rate already..
Loading "03 - Silent Outpost Base.wav": Sample at native rate already..
Loading "04 - Gale Force.wav": Sample at native rate already..
Loading "05 - God of Destruction.wav": Sample at native rate already..
Loading "06 - Advance Through the Sky.wav": Sample at native rate already..
Loading "07 - The Battle Intensifies.wav": Sample at native rate already..
Loading "08 - An Equal Match.wav": Sample at native rate already..
Loading "09 - It's All Up To Me!!.wav": Sample at native rate already..
Loading "10 - Chief's Congratulations.wav": Sample at native rate already..
Loading "11 - Breakthrough.wav": Sample at native rate already..
Loading "12 - Pressure.wav": Sample at native rate already..
Loading "13 - My Duty is Done.wav": Sample at native rate already..
Loading "14 - Eternal Soldier.wav": Sample at native rate already..
Loading "15 - Chase in the Dark.wav": Sample at native rate already..

Perhaps barbudreadmon has some input?

best regards,
- dink

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 03:41:29 AM »
The files are loaded on my side, i can't say i hear much difference with or without but i'm probably a bit deaf.

If you enable debug logs in retroarch settings ("Settings > Logging > Core Logging Level" set to "0 (Debug)"), you should see some lines talking about samples right after "[libretro DEBUG] CPU-registry: 68k cpu #0 ...", the output is slightly different from standalone for various reasons though.

Offline amikipax

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 09:31:11 AM »
After setting the core logs level to debug, I can see some additional logs, it seems the core is loading the samplest but it doesn't list the filenames in the logs:
Code: [Select]
[libretro INFO] [FBNeo] Applied dipswitches from core options
[libretro DEBUG] Cheat cpu-register INIT.
[libretro DEBUG] CPU-registry: 68k cpu #0 ...
[libretro DEBUG] Loading "": [libretro DEBUG] Converting 44100hz [16 bit, 2 channels] to 48000hz (native).
[libretro DEBUG] Loading "": [libretro DEBUG] Converting 44100hz [16 bit, 2 channels] to 48000hz (native).
[libretro INFO] [FBNeo] Initialized driver for donpachi
[libretro INFO] [FBNeo] Adjusted audio buffer to match driver's refresh rate (57.549999 Hz)

Here is a screenshot of the content of the donpachi.zip samplest

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 09:55:17 AM »
Not showing the filename on lr is probably OK - you're still not hearing any difference after coining up and hitting start, then flipping the dip for enabling the hq audio on/off?  The voices are still going to be coming from the oki msm6295 (not the greatest quality, I think 16khz? or so..).

this one's for barbudreadmon, any chance you could do a strreplace in bprintf on lr for %S -> %s?  Windows uses %S to display a non-unicode string, I'm pretty certain that's the problem here w/filenames not displaying...  Unless you have a better idea :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline amikipax

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 11:59:20 AM »
I tried using my headset and I can finally hear some difference, but I honestly can't with the speakers. I guess my speakers aren't good enough for my ears to pick up the difference.

Thanks !

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 03:10:32 AM »
this one's for barbudreadmon, any chance you could do a strreplace in bprintf on lr for %S -> %s?  Windows uses %S to display a non-unicode string, I'm pretty certain that's the problem here w/filenames not displaying...  Unless you have a better idea :)

That's indeed one of the various reasons for the different output i mentioned above, i was thinking about leaving it like that tbh, but yeah the strreplace is a good idea, and the libretro port already got a function to do that.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 09:23:30 AM »
Patching that would probably reduce the risk of someone thinking there is a problem with fbn because of what they see in the logfile (there's quite a lot more things that do this other than snd/samples), but, have it your way :)

best regards,
- dink