Final Burn Neo > FBN Development

split topic : lightgun issues

<< < (3/10) > >>

StormedBubbles:
🤣 I think that you are exactly correct! I don't know the exact pattern, but it seems that you can get him if he's not staring/pointing directly at you. I got it to work in lr-fbneo when he was leaning back in his chair with his feet up on the table. He also blinks in a way that makes me suspicious that he has some Punch-Out-esque tells.

One thing that I noticed in this latest round of testing is that the bottom of the screen still registers an on-screen shot. I missed that before. The other three sides seem to work every time. The cursor sometimes hits the bottom of the screen when I'm, uh, holding the "USB camera controller" to my head for maximum immersion.

By the way, the cowboy's reaction if you are unlucky enough to die on the first turn is pretty funny.

dink:

--- Quote from: StormedBubbles on January 03, 2022, 05:08:59 PM ---🤣 I think that you are exactly correct! I don't know the exact pattern, but it seems that you can get him if he's not staring/pointing directly at you. I got it to work in lr-fbneo when he was leaning back in his chair with his feet up on the table. He also blinks in a way that makes me suspicious that he has some Punch-Out-esque tells.

One thing that I noticed in this latest round of testing is that the bottom of the screen still registers an on-screen shot. I missed that before. The other three sides seem to work every time. The cursor sometimes hits the bottom of the screen when I'm, uh, holding the "USB camera controller" to my head for maximum immersion.

By the way, the cowboy's reaction if you are unlucky enough to die on the first turn is pretty funny.

--- End quote ---

hehe nice find, I do believe there are much more things hidden here :)  Here's a funny clip:
https://youtu.be/Q5itiKorPic 

The NES hardware has a "tell" for all the things that are going to respond to the gun: after you pull the trigger, the screen will flash a bright color (usually white) on all the targets - the desk lights up all the way to the bottom of the screen.

best regards,
- dink

StormedBubbles:
LOL! That must have been quite the exit wound for him to end up grasping at his chest.

That is unfortunate with the desk flashing. Hmm, I suppose the only possibility then is to play with the overscan in hopes of there being lines of non-flashing pixels below the desk. Thanks for all of the help!

dink:
Well, there's 2 things that could happen with that scene, if you shoot him as he turns around from being hit in the butt, he'll die, but if you're not fast enough, he'll shoot you after doing a funny scene :)

p.s. do you have any good NES game suggestions that we don't have yet?

best regards,
- dink

StormedBubbles:
In keeping with the lightgun theme, I do have two more that are oddities.

One is "Hit Marmot," which is a whack-a-mole game. The other is "Fantasy of Gun," which is part of a multi-cart titled "Super 4 in 1" that also contains games called "Space Fight of Gun" (Zapper), "Abyss of Gloom" (Zapper), and "City Adventure" (controller).

These games do work in other emulators that I have tried in RetroArch, but they don't seem to work fully in those emulators. Their unique trait is that they were apparently made for a clone Famicom system that used a proprietary way of getting two independent gun inputs. My guess is that the clone system either (a) had two expansion ports or (b) used daisy-chained controller/Zapper combos that looked like N64 controllers. It is difficult to find information on these, but it seems that a two-controller, two-gun setup was meant to be possible (Fantasy of Gun appeared in at least one other mega-compilation that mixed controller and gun games).

I know of two dual-Zapper games for the NES that work with 2 independent Zapper inputs both on real hardware and in at least one RetroArch emulator. Those two games are "Chiller" and the pong game in "Zap Ruder." Their configuration is straightforward: a Zapper goes in each controller port of an NES. Each player gets an independent score, so it's not just two guns duplicating one shooting input. Hit Marmot and Fantasy of Gun don't work with that setup, but they definitely have independent score/ammo counters for a second player that cannot be controlled by a controller.

Hit Marmot and Fantasy of Gun aren't great games, but it has become a curiosity for me to see if it is possible to emulate the 2-player behavior. Other RetroArch emulators I have tried treat the Famicom's expansion port as "port 5," so I have just been under the assumption that that port 5 would need to be assigned to some new "dual gun" in order for the whole setup to work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version