Author Topic: Questions about FBA  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Goku

Questions about FBA
« on: November 15, 2013, 04:33:50 PM »
Hello, I would like to know some things about the status of Arcade emulation:
1. What is the philosophy of FBA development? Mame has the philosophy of "documentation project" and consequently it is slower.
2. What are some future plans of FBA? I mean, what would be the next boards to be emulated by FBA?
3. Mame is terrible to run 3D games, because it does not use the GPU and the games are slow and pixelated. Will FBA emulate any 3D board in the future? Some boards are based on PS1, therefore the source code of PS1 emulators could help.
Thank you.

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Re: Questions about FBA
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 06:23:46 PM »
Hello, I would like to know some things about the status of Arcade emulation:
1. What is the philosophy of FBA development? Mame has the philosophy of "documentation project" and consequently it is slower.
Speed. We like speed. FBA runs quite well on the original xbox. A lot of games that crawl on MAME on a low end machine absolutely buzz along on FBA.
2. What are some future plans of FBA? I mean, what would be the next boards to be emulated by FBA?
Honestly there's no huge direction atm. Not even much development. Barry has a big family, I'm busy with work. JackC is doing a great job maintaining the romset and finding new and interesting roms for us to look at. Cap is off playing with ps3 development. Same with Ferch iirc.   I would love to see someone with more time and direction come into FBA and give it a big push.
3. Mame is terrible to run 3D games, because it does not use the GPU and the games are slow and pixelated. Will FBA emulate any 3D board in the future? Some boards are based on PS1, therefore the source code of PS1 emulators could help.
Thank you.
Near future? My guess would be no. I don't know anything about 3-d games. FBA is more about 2-d games anyway.

Offline Goku

Re: Questions about FBA
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 10:09:51 PM »
Thank you for the info.
And thank you for the emulator. :)