Author Topic: Romhack's WIP thread  (Read 73276 times)

Offline Diabolus

• Shoryuken!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Re: Romhack's WIP thread
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2018, 03:17:25 AM »
Hi guys, just an update:
latest code is on git - dcs sound is perfect in wolf unit games :)
Here's a new video of Rampage WT (some slight gfx issues were fixed as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ca9JTBAfbc

Mortal Kombat 3 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 work perfectly as well!  With perfect framerate on my ancient P4 machine  :biggrin:

UMK3 test-video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOs4rtgya5w

Still have a few very small issues to iron out regarding the finishing stage of the driver, but the main problems (no sound, running too slow, etc etc) are gone!

best regards,
- dink

That's awesome, thanks for all the work that everyone has done onthe wolf and t unit for FBA.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2018, 08:03:23 AM »
@Romhack btw, do you know if there are similarities between the mips r4600 and the r4300i used in N64 ? I saw one of the N64 devkit using the r4600 cpu so i would expect this is the case ? If so, there might be some interesting resources to write alternative r4600 interpreters at https://github.com/libretro/parallel-n64/tree/master/mupen64plus-core/src/r4300 (i think this emulator is providing several interpreters, including dynarecs for various arch and a cross-platform cached interpreter)

Offline Haze

• MAME Devs
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2018, 09:43:40 AM »
Mupen is GPL2 licensed.

FBA uses code based on old MAME code so has the same non-commercial clause as old MAME (the choice to use that code meant accepting the license it was under)

Due to various reasons (including the non-commercial clause) FBA is not GPL2 compatible, and really can't be without a massive purge of old cores + drivers and rewriting them from scratch or going through the same process as MAME, tracking down every single contributor for every single line of code in order to gain permission to relicense it.

GPL2 code cannot be used in FBA for that reason.  Just allowing your code to be influenced by the GPL code (if it ends up looking very similar for example) is a problem.

Just because RA / LR do their best to actually hide the licenses from people doesn't mean they can be ignored.  Mixing incompatible licenses just creates a product nobody, not even the authors are allowed to distribute.

Sorry to be negative here, but proper software licensing is important to keep your product legal and legitimate.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 09:48:33 AM by Haze »

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2018, 09:57:34 AM »
Mupen is GPL2 licensed.

FBA uses code based on old MAME code so has the same non-commercial clause as old MAME (the choice to use that code meant accepting the license it was under)

Due to various reasons (including the non-commercial clause) FBA is not GPL2 compatible, and really can't be without a massive purge of old cores + drivers and rewriting them from scratch or going through the same process as MAME, tracking down every single contributor for every single line of code in order to gain permission to relicense it.

GPL2 code cannot be used in FBA for that reason.  Just allowing your code to be influenced by the GPL code (if it ends up looking very similar for example) is a problem.

Just because RA / LR do their best to actually hide the licenses from people doesn't mean they can be ignored.  Mixing incompatible licenses just creates a product nobody, not even the authors are allowed to distribute.

Sorry to be negative here, but proper software licensing is important to keep your product legal and legitimate.

The original Final Burn license also prohibited commercial use - so completely no go, unless writing everything from scratch!
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2018, 10:39:19 AM »

No problem, it's kinda sad we can't use this code to help, but thanks for the explanation :).

Offline Romhack

• Expert
« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2018, 11:10:14 AM »
Beside licensing issues...

I want to create something like UML (Universal Machine Language from MAME) because crafting a dynamic recompiler for each arch is really hard (to debug, to write, to test). Midway's stuff runs at very high speed compared to other drivers in FBA.
People want cave1k on FBA, but without DRC, it's just waste of time.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2018, 11:53:13 AM »
I want to create something like UML (Universal Machine Language from MAME) because crafting a dynamic recompiler for each arch is really hard (to debug, to write, to test). Midway's stuff runs at very high speed compared to other drivers in FBA.
Yeah, having something like that for mips3 and sh3/4 would be great !

Offline Haze

• MAME Devs
« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2018, 02:14:44 PM »
Beside licensing issues...

I wouldn't take too many hints from the way the UML is done in MAME tho, there was a general consensus a while back that it's a pretty poor example of how to do a recompiler, and that's why the C backend for it is slower than a standard interpreter core while at the same time being far less accurate than an interpreter.  Not sure of the specifics myself tho.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 02:15:49 PM by Haze »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2018, 12:23:06 PM »
Btw, there was a non UML mips3 dynarec for x86_32 in mame 0.78 : https://github.com/libretro/mame2003-plus-libretro/tree/master/src/cpu/mips . I guess porting this one would be ok since it is under mame license.

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2018, 06:07:32 PM »
Btw, there was a non UML mips3 dynarec for x86_32 in mame 0.78 : https://github.com/libretro/mame2003-plus-libretro/tree/master/src/cpu/mips . I guess porting this one would be ok since it is under mame license.

Some MAME dev's have a real bee in their bonnet when it comes to this core, so i fully expect the answer to the above being no
but hey we could be surprised :)

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2018, 04:39:26 AM »
Some MAME dev's have a real bee in their bonnet when it comes to this core, so i fully expect the answer to the above being no
but hey we could be surprised :)
Besides a few fixes you applied, i think most of it is actually their original code under MAME license ? Actually it might be a backport from MAME 0.139 ?

Offline cliobrando

• Newbies
« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2018, 02:51:53 PM »
Hi,
I've compiled the latest commit from github (7bc737d14fd6504136b953ec9af2e84e5dbd7f9d), using:
- nasm 2.14
- tdm64-gcc-5.1.0-2
- ActivePerl-5.26.1.2601
- gnu utils from fba site
- X64 build
- make mingw510

And I've converted my kinst and kinst2 chd to img format using the mame chdman utility, I've checked the crc32 of both files and is correct.
Now my question, I don't know where to put the img files, I've tried the roms folder, the support/hdd folder, the fba root folder, fba root/hdd folder, and nothing. When I try to load the game a message telling me that the rom file is correct, but no HDD data was found is displayed (I've configured the paths manually too). Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
« Reply #177 on: December 21, 2018, 04:05:13 PM »
You're probably missing the set folder. eg, support/hdd/kinst/kinst.img.
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline cliobrando

• Newbies
« Reply #178 on: December 21, 2018, 04:11:12 PM »
You're probably missing the set folder. eg, support/hdd/kinst/kinst.img.

:redface: :redface: :redface: Thanks! now it works!  :biggrin:

Offline littlebear

« Reply #179 on: December 23, 2018, 11:31:23 AM »
can you tell me which version of chdman and command line to use? because i use chdman 204 but crc came up not matching the FBA needed img. thank you
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 11:33:15 AM by littlebear »