Author Topic: [Request] Early CPS1 Stereo  (Read 3846 times)

Offline JoelH

• Newbies
[Request] Early CPS1 Stereo
« on: January 28, 2021, 10:30:29 AM »
This is kind of a more of a "fixing a pet peeve" style request but its one I don't know if anyone's considered. A handful of pre-CPS1 Dash games actually had support for stereo sound output but have always been mono in Mame and Final Burn. At least one of them (1941) had actual channel separation on its music when played back through M2 and panning effects on Capcom Classics Collection that are otherwise absent on other emulators. Has there ever been an attempt to address this or any of the other following games...

Adventure Quiz Capcom World
Adventure Quiz Capcom World 2
Street Fighter II (also CE, etc.)
Strider
UN Squadron
Captain Commando   

Thanks.

Offline Haze

• MAME Devs
Re: [Request] Early CPS1 Stereo
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 05:10:53 PM »
to the best of my knowledge you have to mod the PCBs to get stereo out, which disables the usual Jamma sound output.

they didn't ship like that, even if the sound was programmed for Stereo in some cases.

99% of arcade games used mono, because that was the Jamma standard.

that's why they're mono in MAME at least.

in the past a lot of things were incorrectly set to stereo.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 05:11:58 PM by Haze »

Offline JoelH

• Newbies
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 08:34:22 PM »
to the best of my knowledge you have to mod the PCBs to get stereo out, which disables the usual Jamma sound output.

they didn't ship like that, even if the sound was programmed for Stereo in some cases.

99% of arcade games used mono, because that was the Jamma standard.

that's why they're mono in MAME at least.

in the past a lot of things were incorrectly set to stereo.

Soooooo why is 1941 in stereo on M1 and those Capcom Classics Collection releases then?

Online dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 11:26:43 PM »
JoelH when I'm not so busy I will take a look at adding the stereo option for those games.

Online dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 08:59:01 PM »
Added stereo separation to the ym2151 for games that support it.  So far I've only noticed it in 1941.  I would have loved for Varth to be in stereo, but it still sounds amazing in mono.

best regards,
- dink

Offline Haze

• MAME Devs
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 08:59:51 PM »
Soooooo why is 1941 in stereo on M1 and those Capcom Classics Collection releases then?

because those aren't JAMMA arcade PCBs?

just because sound was designed in stereo doesn't mean the hardware could output it without unofficial modifications (and in some cases, there's no way at all)

Offline JoelH

• Newbies
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 10:26:10 PM »
Added stereo separation to the ym2151 for games that support it.  So far I've only noticed it in 1941.  I would have loved for Varth to be in stereo, but it still sounds amazing in mono.

best regards,
- dink

It was a very small list but thanks I'll be looking forward to trying it out next week.