Author Topic: Compatibility issue or just me?  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Mandrasx

Compatibility issue or just me?
« on: May 18, 2021, 03:47:23 AM »
FNeo version:
FBNeo (Retroarch) v1.0.0.02 release (all BIOS/device files are in the "system" directory)

dat file:
FinalBurn Neo (ClrMame Pro XML, Arcade only).dat

rom sources:
MAME .231 and FBNeo (updated nightly), both from archive.org

So about 200 of the 308 shmups I have for MAME work fine in Retroarch FB Neo (most of the rom image files have wrong names but correct crc32 hashes). I pruned the 3rd generation Cave and other unsupported games according to "...fbneo/master/gamelist.txt" and fixed the supported ones with missing files using the FBN nightly archive. But I'm left with some games that just don't load in FBNeo even when 100% fixed in romcenter/clrmamepro according to the current Retroarch FBNeo dat.

Example: Gunlock

Gunlock works but its two clones cause FBNeo to crash:

Ray Force (Ver 2.3A 1994/01/20)
Ray Force (Ver 2.3J 1994/01/20)

I am using split sets, but I don't believe that is the issue as many others are working.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
Re: Compatibility issue or just me?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 08:27:20 AM »
You say you are using v1.0.0.02 then you say you are using romsets for latest nightly (which is v1.0.0.03), so my guess would be mismatching romsets, especially since those games work fine for me.

My recommendation :
1. update core to latest
2. at the same time make sure your romsets 100% match latest dat from here
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 08:29:54 AM by barbudreadmon »

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 09:18:24 AM »
I just tried gunlock, rayforce and rayforcej in standalone using freshly obtained roms, they work fine.  Even after removing some files from the romset, it still won't crash.  Can you give more information about this crash you're experiencing?

best regards,
- dink

Offline Mandrasx

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 09:22:26 AM »
Ok... I was using v1.0.0.03 and the v1.0.0.03 dat all along -- didn't realize it updated -- but it wasn't really related to this issue.

Without changing anything else, I fixed the problem by creating merged rom sets for Ray Storm and Ray Storm J (adding all the Gunlock roms indicated by "merge=" in the dat).

For some reason they don't run as split sets. Even when when roms/hashes are correct in romcenter. I even replaced all three with those in the FBNeo nightly archive. Its just weird to me, because I have other games that are split sets (example: Arcadia and Rapid Hero) that work fine.

Edit: I'm not complaining (love the 1 frame latency), maybe this is a Retroarch thing only?

Edit2: Ha ha ok... I rebuilt my playlist per the sticky and now they work as split sets. I think the problem might be I was using Qt Windows UI to make my playlist.

Edit3: TLDR: using Retroarch's "FBNeo - Arcade Games.rdb" as a database (only option in the Qt Windows UI) doesn't work as well as using "FinalBurn Neo (ClrMame Pro XML, Arcade only).dat" with the regular Retroarch UI.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:32:06 AM by Mandrasx »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 10:51:17 AM »
Yeah, atm there is no runahead implemented in standalone FBNeo.

Scanning through RA database is crap for arcade emulation, most likely your romsets weren't even associated with the right emulator, that's why i wrote that sticky with the proper method ;)