Author Topic: Capcom Home Arcade stick using FB Alpha Emulation  (Read 75600 times)

Offline Robert

• MAME Devs
Re: Capcom Home Arcade stick using FB Alpha Emulation
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2019, 06:55:40 AM »
Interesting. So, to summarise:

- Capcom merely provided a license to Koch, and that's where their involvement ends. If that's true, then fair enough.

- Koch is either ignoring you (which they can afford to do), or they are checking it out with their legal team (which takes time).

- Barry... well, he seems confused, to put it nicely.

Offline hap

• Newbies
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2019, 09:31:22 AM »
When did he write this email?

Anyway, my 2ct:

Rewriting code back to a stripped down FBA is possible, but you'd have to redo it from scratch, you wouldn't be allowed to use the old FBA code as reference. Unless it comes with its own license(eg. 68000 core), any code(even a simple copy paste from MAME) done by other FBA devs is licensed under the FBA license and can't be relicensed without permission. Considering that MAME YM2151 core is GPL now, if it's all done correctly, Koch would need to make the source code public.

And yeah, he'd still need permission from Dave, which he obviously didn't ask. And asking it after licensing to Koch doesn't count. Under normal circumstances I don't think Dave would mind it. But after all this drama he'd have a dilemma, either side with Barry or side with the rest of the FBA guys.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 09:34:54 AM by hap »

kev

« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2019, 09:44:38 AM »
When did he write this email?

Anyway, my 2ct:

Rewriting code back to a stripped down FBA is possible, but you'd have to redo it from scratch, you wouldn't be allowed to use the old FBA code as reference. Unless it comes with its own license(eg. 68000 core), any code(even a simple copy paste from MAME) done by other FBA devs is licensed under the FBA license and can't be relicensed without permission. Considering that MAME YM2151 core is GPL now, if it's all done correctly, Koch would need to make the source code public.

And yeah, he'd still need permission from Dave, which he obviously didn't ask. And asking it after licensing to Koch doesn't count. Under normal circumstances I don't think Dave would mind it. But after all this drama he'd have a dilemma, either side with Barry or side with the rest of the FBA guys.

I agree with what you say here.

Imo, If they did a complete rewrite you could say that they could get away with saying "emulation by Barry Harris". I'd still push for the code though, and I'd also run a forensic check against the 18+ years worth of commits and changes made to the code compared to what they released. I still have a backup of the ancient CVS server the SVN server and a lot of the previous source zip files before such things were used so it had better if been a proper rewrite.

If only they had just used MAME from the start, could have just paid him to make whatever changes were needed for platform optimization. Would save me a lot of anger lol

kev

« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
Also the mail was sent on the 27th I believe. I didn't see it until a while after that as it was just in my spam folder.

Offline lantus

• Expert
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2019, 11:30:05 AM »
thanks for the update kev

it confirms what we suspected all along. I hope the money was worth it. Like pay off a mortgage worth it or something lol

Offline 7zxkv

« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2019, 09:16:30 AM »
Yes, IMHO Final Burn Phoenix gives the idea of a "new dawn" ! ;)

for me FBZ is top, FB pheonix is reminiscent of phoenix roms of razoola.

Offline Bad Dude

« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2019, 10:10:49 AM »
Final Burn Zero is the best!

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2019, 01:00:34 PM »
for me FBZ is top, FB pheonix is reminiscent of phoenix roms of razoola.

IMHO Final Burn Zero has a good acronym (FBZ), but it sounds like a kind of "alternative version" (similar to Street Fighter Alpha and Street Fighter Zero) and not like the new "official" version... maybe something like "Final Burn Redux" could be better.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:03:00 PM by Gab75 »

Offline Stifu

« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2019, 01:30:46 PM »
IMHO Final Burn Zero has a good acronym (FBZ), but it sounds like a kind of "alternative version" (similar to Street Fighter Alpha and Street Fighter Zero) and not like the new "official" version... maybe something like "Final Burn Redux" could be better.

Yes, that crossed my mind too. If the naming was meant to be fully consistent with the Street Fighter titles, then FBA would be the English version while FBZ would be the Japanese one... That might give people the wrong idea.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:26:57 AM by Stifu »

Offline Ryvius86

• FBNeo Contributor
  • Magneto was right.
    • Ryvius86/FBAlphaFB
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2019, 03:38:18 PM »

I think Final Burn Zero works precisely because it is an "alternative" version. Final Burn Alpha isn't going anywhere. I think you can say "the first official Final Burn Zero (or whatever) build", but to refer to Final Burn Zero (again, or whatever) as the "new "official" version" isn't quite right. I mean, we're talking about open-source emulation here, we shouldn't get caught up on what's official and what's not. And so, the allusion to Street Fighter Alpha and Zero is probably more accurate than people would like to admit. Granted, it is a little on the nose calling it Final Burn Zero when you think of it in those terms, but it sounds cool. And what's more important than sounding cool?

For example, Redux is cool too, but technically Alpha is a redux version of Final Burn. Along with Plus and the countless other versions. So it should be Final Burn Alpha Redux, or Final Burn Alpha 2 Zero, which brings us right back to the Street Fighter names. Theirs no escape.

I'm new, please don't shoot me.

Offline Stifu

« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2019, 04:21:00 PM »
I think Final Burn Zero works precisely because it is an "alternative" version.

I doubt Barry is going to maintain FBA alone, and I doubt anyone will help him. I can't see how FBA could survive. It's the new OpenOffice.

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2019, 04:28:50 PM »
I'm new, please don't shoot me.

Don't worry, I'm a pacifist... sometimes! :P

Joking aside, in a forum it's important that everyone can express themselves freely (obviously, always with respect for others) ! :)

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
« Reply #162 on: May 09, 2019, 04:34:41 PM »
I doubt Barry is going to maintain FBA alone, and I doubt anyone will help him. I can't see how FBA could survive. It's the new OpenOffice.

I agree... it's very unlikely that the "old" FBA will get new updates...

Offline Ryvius86

• FBNeo Contributor
  • Magneto was right.
    • Ryvius86/FBAlphaFB
« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2019, 05:36:34 PM »
Joking aside, in a forum it's important that everyone can express themselves freely (obviously, always with respect for others) ! :)

Quite right!

I have no idea what will happen with FBA, but you're probably right on the money. That's not going to stop people using it though. Not now, not in 10 years. And that's okay because FBA isn't Barry, and Barry isn't FBA. Looking through the code you can tell a lot of smart people put a lot of time and effort in to creating it. And for that, it's not going anywhere. Although, with time, it's likely to become outdated. I did't know who Barry was until I heard him mentioned on here, but I sure as hell know what Final Burn is. I'm sure it's the same for most people.

..Maybe if I say FB Zero enough, it'll stick..

Offline 7zxkv

« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2019, 11:28:25 AM »
And when we think back to the origin of "FBA" (by barry and DP.WANG): FB launcher + FBCPS2en, I say that the loop is looped lol.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:32:44 AM by 7zxkv »