Author Topic: FB Neo Bugs Reports  (Read 158786 times)

Offline geese howard

Re: FB Neo Bugs Reports
« Reply #975 on: February 04, 2023, 09:32:56 PM »
Hi geese howard,
Recently they (MAME) added a filter to the upd7759 (pcm/voice chip) which softens the sound a little, it certainly sounds nicer and less harsh.  I'll try to add something similar.

I played the first stage of Afterburner II, at the end & after I land, the jet powers down its engines and a big puff of smoke appears, but then it goes away as it should.  Is it happening somewhere else?  Can you attach some savestates from right before it happens?  Are you using a current version from the usual place?

best regards,
- dink

I ll try golden axe soon, thanks!!

After burner 2 - it happens in other stages that the airplane land , like ending scene.
I can send you save states tomorrow, and i m using latest builds.

Offline geese howard

« Reply #976 on: February 05, 2023, 02:33:41 PM »
geese howard,
I managed to match the filters on the pcm chip (golden axe), thanks in part to audacity and my biquad-filter device (1xlowpass 1xhigh shelf), please give it a try when you get a chance.

best regards,
- dink

Golden axe - It?s almost perfect, however i think that voices must be little louder to match other game effects.
After Burner 2 - Attached 2 save states.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #977 on: February 05, 2023, 06:16:58 PM »
geese howard,
I've tweaked the volume a little on Golden Axe, please give another try

With the 2 afterburner II states you've attached, it appears to be working fine: the puff of smoke appears when it powers down engine on landing, then it goes away.  You're saying the smoke never goes away on your screen?

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #978 on: February 06, 2023, 12:02:09 AM »
Igor_Arabe,
Problem with VS 32bit is fixed,
big thanks to taoenwen for testing and ideas!

best regards,
- dink

Offline Igor_Arabe

• Newbies
« Reply #979 on: February 06, 2023, 08:19:04 AM »
Tested in vs'17. works perfectly
Thank you guys.

Offline Joni422

« Reply #980 on: February 11, 2023, 05:14:26 PM »
In the latest nightly build it's not possible to integer scale the image.

I tried "DirectX9 Alt" and "Experimental" blitters with no luck. "Correct aspect ratio" stretches the image to the edge of the screen, but I would like to have an option to have a black border around the games' screen unless running at a resolution, that is a whole multiple of the games original resolution.
Also tried setting Fullscreen Resolution (Horizontal/Vertical) to "Double size" and "Triple size", but the image unfortunately still gets stretched to the edge of the screen.
Is it possible to fix or add an "integer scale" stretch option to the UI?

Otherwise keep up the good work! :smilie:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 05:22:41 PM by Joni422 »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #981 on: February 11, 2023, 06:11:20 PM »
Hi Joni422,
"Video -> Stretch -> Normal Stretch" is the option to do integer scaling

best regards,
- dink

Offline Joni422

« Reply #982 on: February 12, 2023, 03:08:22 PM »
Hi dink,

thank you for the exceptionally fast reply. Unfortunately, the "Normal strech" setting has not led to success with today's build. I found an older September 2022 build, where everything worked as expected, but with the "Correct aspect ratio" setting. "Correct aspect ratio" was implemented as the integer scaling method.

I made screenshots of the current and the older build for comparison (on two different displays 4:3 & 16:9). Used the "CRT Easy Mode" shader, it has a strong reddish undertone.
In both versions I used the Stretch -> "Correct aspect ratio" setting, not the "Normal strech"!

You can clearly see the black borders in the older build. Could you please fix this issue?
Thank you
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 03:17:16 PM by Joni422 »

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #983 on: February 12, 2023, 08:19:38 PM »
Joni422, when did this problem start happening? I need to try to track down what was changed & when in order to fix it.

edit:
I looked through the code history and can't find anything that would have changed anything related to the screen sizing or aspect ratio since before Sept.2022.  Can you try copying your fbneo.ini from the sept.22 version over to the new one and see if that helps?  It sounds like it might be a monitor configuration issue.  Or if you'd rather do it through settings, check that the "Video -> Monitor Properties" and Fullscreen Resolution for vertical and horizontal are the same as the sept.22 installation.

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 08:28:51 PM by dink »

Offline Joni422

« Reply #984 on: February 13, 2023, 06:49:04 AM »
Hi dink,

I copied the fbneo.ini from the Sep. 22 version over to the new one and surprisingly it worked!

When I tried setting up the Sep. 22 version with completely fresh config settings, the aspect ratio was flawed again. It is a configuration issue or bug.

After deeply comparing all blitter settings, I found out that the old Sep. 22 version had in Select blitter -> "Basic", Blitter options -> "Scanlines 50%" activated, which logically should have no impact on the "DirectX9 Alt" blitter, but it does. Without this setting activated, the integer scaling with "DirectX9 Alt" blitter does not work.

Conclusion: With the newest build, setting up blitter -> "Basic", Blitter options -> "Scanlines 50%", then changing to "DirectX9 Alt" blitter and selecting Stretch -> "Correct aspect ratio", I get perfect integer scaling. 

Please let me know if you would like to look at the fbneo.ini files to compare (or an excerpt of code).
Thank you for your time.

Offline geese howard

« Reply #985 on: February 13, 2023, 09:22:29 AM »
geese howard,
I've tweaked the volume a little on Golden Axe, please give another try

With the 2 afterburner II states you've attached, it appears to be working fine: the puff of smoke appears when it powers down engine on landing, then it goes away.  You're saying the smoke never goes away on your screen?

best regards,
- dink

Sorry for later response.
Golden axe - volume is ok, however in my opinion it voices needs more treble to match arcade and mame...can you try it?

After Burner II - smoke goes away after a time...actually i dont know if its a bug, but its strange for me.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #986 on: February 13, 2023, 09:32:04 AM »
Joni422, the scanlines option adds scanlines with a direct-x 9 shadow-texture overlaying the main window.  In order to use a texture, the surface must be a multiple of 256px, so it upscales the surface a bit if its below 256 (in either direction), thus changing the dimensions a little.  In another words, it's not something we can change or fix.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #987 on: February 13, 2023, 09:51:11 AM »
Sorry for later response.
Golden axe - volume is ok, however in my opinion it voices needs more treble to match arcade and mame...can you try it?

After Burner II - smoke goes away after a time...actually i dont know if its a bug, but its strange for me.

Golden Axe, the voices are 100% the same on my side between mame 0.250 and fbneo, try turning off the low pass filter, if you have it enabled?

After Burner II: This is exactly how a turbine engine works.  after they leave the power band -- it just produces smoke.  For example, landing and powering down the engines.  Powering up can be a little smokey as well :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline geese howard

« Reply #988 on: February 13, 2023, 02:44:26 PM »
Golden Axe, the voices are 100% the same on my side between mame 0.250 and fbneo, try turning off the low pass filter, if you have it enabled?

After Burner II: This is exactly how a turbine engine works.  after they leave the power band -- it just produces smoke.  For example, landing and powering down the engines.  Powering up can be a little smokey as well :)

best regards,
- dink

I ve disabled low filter pass and i still hear the difference, mainly in dwarf voices...

After Burner II - ok, thanks for explanation

Offline Joni422

« Reply #989 on: February 13, 2023, 03:27:19 PM »
Joni422, the scanlines option adds scanlines with a direct-x 9 shadow-texture overlaying the main window.  In order to use a texture, the surface must be a multiple of 256px, so it upscales the surface a bit if its below 256 (in either direction), thus changing the dimensions a little.  In another words, it's not something we can change or fix.

best regards,
- dink

Hi dink,

thanks for the explanation. I just find it strange that even with any blitter/scanline setting set to default/none, I still can't get the scaling right (with "DirectX9 Alt").
But as I described in my conclusion above I found an unusual workaround to get it working at last.