Author Topic: DAT File to use with libretro core  (Read 1819 times)

Offline TheDan

DAT File to use with libretro core
« on: December 20, 2023, 05:37:54 AM »
I acquired the most recent update for the libretro fbNeo 1.0.0.03 core within RetroArch. Subsequently, I obtained the latest DAT file from this GitHub repository: https://github.com/libretro/FBNeo/tree/master/dats. I then proceeded to rebuild my romset using clrmamepro.

Despite having validated the games using the latest DAT, some of them fail to work with the fbNeo core. Hence, my inquiry is whether the current version of the FB Neo core in RetroArch aligns with the most recent DAT available on GitHub. Given that there is no indication of a specific commit information is provided, I am uncertain how to identify the correct DAT file to download from the GitHub repository. Could you please provide guidance on how to determine the appropriate DAT file for download?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 05:41:00 AM by TheDan »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
Re: DAT File to use with libretro core
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 06:08:38 AM »
Hence, my inquiry is whether the current version of the FB Neo core in RetroArch aligns with the most recent DAT available on GitHub.

The dat file aligns with the latest commit available in the very same github repository you downloaded it from, meaning the latest version.
The logical conclusion would be that, for some reason (which i could maybe guess if you gave information about your setup), you are not using the current version of FBNeo.
Also, you can check which version of this core you are using by looking into the bottom left corner of retroarch menu, you should see "FinalBurn Neo (v1.0.0.03) 3b19f28a8" if you are using latest version, the letters at the end being part of the versioning (commit hash).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 06:13:54 AM by barbudreadmon »

Offline TheDan

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 07:35:53 AM »
Also, you can check which version of this core you are using by looking into the bottom left corner of retroarch menu, you should see "FinalBurn Neo (v1.0.0.03) 3b19f28a8"

It appears that the issue lies with RetroArch as it provides conflicting information. In the updater menu, it displays "FinalBurn Neo (v1.0.0.03)" without the hash. However, upon loading the core, it shows "FinalBurn Neo (v1.0.0.01) 4f493a1." Strangely, there were instances where it showed "(v1.0.0.03)" without the hash after loading the core, but this seems inconsistent.

Despite attempting to resolve the problem by deleting and reinstalling the core multiple times, it persists and appears to be buggy in some way.

I'm using RetroArch version 1.10.3, and I'm wondering if this is a known issue within RetroArch. The situation is further complicated by the fact that I'm using a handheld device, limiting my control over RetroArch.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 08:16:49 AM »
4f493a1

You are using a 3 years old version, you can download the corresponding dat files for that version at https://github.com/libretro/FBNeo/tree/4f493a1d394282d4758e78d416324142818e19df/dats

I'd recommend figuring out why you are stuck with old retroarch and cores though, maybe you can find help on their forum or reddit. Note that we won't be able to provide further support if you use an outdated version of our core.

The situation is further complicated by the fact that I'm using a handheld device, limiting my control over RetroArch.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, you should share more details.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 08:33:17 AM by barbudreadmon »

Offline TheDan

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 08:36:10 AM »
Yes thanks for the answer, i will continue to search on the Retroarch/Handheld side for this issue.

The situation is further complicated by the fact that I'm using a handheld device, limiting my control over RetroArch.

I'm using the Anbernic RG35XX-Plus, a handheld device that comes with RetroArch preinstalled. Therefore,  I think my RetroArch configuration is not in its default state and already customized for the device; for instance, the Online Updater was disabled by default, perhaps due to concerns about its proper functionality.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 08:47:54 AM by TheDan »

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 10:38:06 AM »
I'm using the Anbernic RG35XX-Plus, a handheld device that comes with RetroArch preinstalled. Therefore,  I think my RetroArch configuration is not in its default state and already customized for the device; for instance, the Online Updater was disabled by default, perhaps due to concerns about its proper functionality.

I don't understand, how did you install FBNeo then ?
For the reminder, FBNeo's license forbids its use in any kind of commercial activity, including coming preinstalled in a commercial product.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2023, 10:42:17 AM »
Barbudreadmon,
afair, when i downloaded retroblarch from the play store: it only downloaded the ancient fbneo cores.  which is probably the same problem he's having.  I had to manually download one from a buildbot or something (can't remember exactly) to get to download the current/up to date cores.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2023, 10:49:43 AM »
Barbudreadmon,
afair, when i downloaded retroblarch from the play store: it only downloaded the ancient fbneo cores.  which is probably the same problem he's having.  I had to manually download one from a buildbot or something (can't remember exactly) to get to download the current/up to date cores.

Oh yeah, good catch, that anbernic thingy might be running android. You can't update libretro stuff through the play store due to some changes in google's policy several years ago, you indeed have to manually install the apk.

Alternatively, the other day, someone on discord was mentioning a retrogaming project for those handhelds, it's called JELOS : https://github.com/JustEnoughLinuxOS/distribution
It's a minimalistic linux distribution bundled with many emulators, including a recent version of retroarch and our libretro core, and it's apparently very active. It's sort of retropie/recalbox/batocera but specialized for those handhelds.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 10:52:35 AM by barbudreadmon »

Offline TheDan

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2023, 12:21:17 PM »
It must run on Linux rather than Android; however, the default operating system that comes with the device is not very good. The preferred operating system for this device is GarlicOS, but since the device recently underwent a revision, the development for the latest Garlic OS is not yet complete. As a result, we are currently stuck with the stock OS.

Can the latest core for Linux be downloaded manually from somewhere maybe GitHub to install it via RA?

I don't understand, how did you install FBNeo then ?

It was already installed with v1.0.0.03 but no mention of a commit, so i updated and thats resulted in downloading an old version 1.0.0.1.

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 03:00:09 AM »
Can the latest core for Linux be downloaded manually from somewhere maybe GitHub to install it via RA?

I have no idea.

Tbh, the people you should ask for support are the people who broke our license by illegally selling you our project as part of a commercial product.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 08:48:13 AM »
The older version of RA doesn't support the latest core format, which is why it won't update to the latest, but the latest it could handle (which is an old version).  If you can figure out how to upgrade RA then it will be able to update to the latest core(s).

best regards,
- dink

Offline TheDan

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2024, 07:45:05 AM »
The older version of RA doesn't support the latest core format, which is why it won't update to the latest, but the latest it could handle (which is an old version).  If you can figure out how to upgrade RA then it will be able to update to the latest core(s).

best regards,
- dink

Okay thank you, I understand now why it download a older version of the core. The default core on the device is more recent (v1.0.0.03) but missing the commit info unfortunately. It seems it has been compiled specially for this device I think. I will stay at the default core for the moment waiting for an other cfw with maybe an up-to-date RA install.