Author Topic: Ironclad MVS discussion  (Read 43429 times)

Offline Asure

Re: Ironclad MVS discussion
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 07:41:39 AM »
Can someone confirm this shows as 'burikinger' in a japanese AES or MVS bios ?
Thanks for the picture below, but i mean, does it show in 'soft dip' as Burikinger or Ironclad ?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:31:15 AM by Asure »

Offline narcissus

• Newbies
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 07:50:14 AM »
Why do you make this rom looks like a MVS dump?
Why do you "make" a "bootleg" with 4x4mb cx and modified p1?
Why don't keep the rom as it is be in the Wii virtual console as possible?
You want to remove the Wii virtual console information and enforce that IT IS JUST A MVS ROM
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:44:33 PM by narcissus »

Offline JacKc

• FBNeo Dev
  • Hasta la vista, Baby !
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 08:21:09 AM »
Why do you make this rom looks like a MVS dump?
This rom is sure a MVS dump
Why do you "make" a "bootleg" with 4x4mb cx and modified p1?
We don't made bootleg. If you take a closer look on Saurus others titles released in 1996, you will see they got 4x4mb cx and not 1x16mb cx. The p1 is just bytwsapped and reordered like it would be in real hardware...
Why don't keep the rom as it is be in the Wii virtual console as possible?
the purpose is to be closest to the original hardware...
You want to remove the Wii virtual console information and enforce that
Damn! You're totally wrong...Look at 1st post!!! It's clearly said it comes from the VC wii.
IT IS JUST A MVS ROM
Totally agreed !!!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 08:22:13 AM by JacKc »

Offline Johnboy

• Expert
    • http://johnboy.cjb.net
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 01:01:49 PM »
Apparently the M1 rom has a 2010 copyright, so has been modified in some way?

Game ID 0227 also has a M1 v3.0 **/**/10.

There are probably more.

Edit: 0227 is Stakes Winner 2. It is also from Saurus, made in 1996.
This revision of the Sound driver is most likely the latest/final revision.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 03:10:40 PM by Johnboy »

Offline narcissus

• Newbies
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »
I mean THIS rom never ran on real MVS hardware
Yes, there is a MVS prototype (confirmed) but it is NOT this one
This rom is released at 2009 and m1 at 04/03/10, so why don't encrypt Cx,Vx,Px and use the PVC protection?
Just like zupapa (Wii VC ironclad is for memorial, so it isn't like zupapa has the release year on title. It shows 1996, but it obviously made after 1996)
haha... It's only a joke.
No more argument, If you'd like to make that bootleg, do it.
You can also burn it on cartridge, then MAME can support it
However it is a console game ever

Can someone confirm this shows as 'burikinger' in a japanese AES or MVS bios ?
Thanks for the picture below, but i mean, does it show in 'soft dip' as Burikinger or Ironclad ?
pic for you, shows as 'burikinger' in 'soft dip'
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 01:50:29 PM by narcissus »

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 04:57:30 AM »
I mean THIS rom never ran on real MVS hardware
Yes, there is a MVS prototype (confirmed) but it is NOT this one
You seem quite sure of this. I'm waiting for your proof that this isn't a dump from a cart in SNKp's archives.

This rom is released at 2009 and m1 at 04/03/10, so why don't encrypt Cx,Vx,Px and use the PVC protection?
Probably because they use [almost] completely decoded roms in their emulator on the Wii. if you look at other games, such as metal slug, the p1 is swapped normally, but not in the dump in the emulator.  Not only that, the graphics roms are already merged and interleaved, making processing easier. Also, the "date" you're looking at in the M1 rom doesn't mean a thing -- look at kof94's m1 rom.
It isn't to say that this ironclad rom is 100% original (it seems likely from the research I've done on the other Neo-Geo VC titles that the Px data has been slightly modified).

Just like zupapa (Wii VC ironclad is for memorial, so it isn't like zupapa has the release year on title. It shows 1996, but it obviously made after 1996)
Not really, Zupapa was released on cartridges rather than through an arcade emulator on a home console.

No more argument, If you'd like to make that bootleg, do it.
You can also burn it on cartridge, then MAME can support it
You can be sure that MVS/AES bootlegs will be appearing soon. The question of whether or not it belongs in MAME at that point will be completely moot as it will have been ran on actual hardware without any doubt. Getting it into MAME/FBA sooner, rather than later will help reduce the number of ebayers/whatever that get burned by buying "uuber l33t  r4r3 neoprotoz unmamed ironcladz!" at stupid prices.

However it is a console game ever
Uh. No. It is an Arcade/Console game just like [almost] every other non-homebrew Neo-Geo game.

Offline Asure

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 06:28:21 AM »
It seems likely from the research I've done on the other Neo-Geo VC titles that the Px data has been slightly modified.
Can you shed some details on what was modified ? Per chance, the name it shows up in 'soft dip' like Narcissus above writes ?
I could imagine for internationalization, that the naming inside the P1 would be 'fixed' for a 2009 release, with the bios showing
the correct name..

If you look in the VC p1 dump from Ironclad, it shows the BURIKINGER name at hex 0201 and 'IRONCLAD' at hex 03EA (three.)
I asked for the soft dip screenshot, so i could compare.
I guess we have at least two different versions. The proto version where those shots came from 'burikinger'
and the 2009 released VC version. Unless there is some way this would show up as 'Burikinger' in a Japanese bios ?
(i'll try some editing in the rom later today when i'm off from work, to see what triggers this.)

Offline narcissus

• Newbies
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 06:48:35 AM »
Can you shed some details on what was modified ? Per chance, the name it shows up in 'soft dip' like Narcissus above writes ?
I could imagine for internationalization, that the naming inside the P1 would be 'fixed' for a 2009 release, with the bios showing
the correct name..

If you look in the VC p1 dump from Ironclad, it shows the BURIKINGER name at hex 0201 and 'IRONCLAD' at hex 03EA (three.)
I asked for the soft dip screenshot, so i could compare.
I guess we have at least two different versions. The proto version where those shots came from 'burikinger'
and the 2009 released VC version. Unless there is some way this would show up as 'Burikinger' in a Japanese bios ?
(i'll try some editing in the rom later today when i'm off from work, to see what triggers this.)
I showed it to you...
But the screenshot was took with winkawaks
You know winkawaks doesn't use bios to change area...

Offline Asure

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 07:12:27 AM »
I showed it to you...
Your soft dip shot is from the VC rom under Winkawaks ? (i could not find a full JAPAN bios for NeoRageX)
This isn't from a PROTO dump right ?

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 07:58:19 AM »
I showed it to you...

That really isn't proof of anything... My proof is that this game has the "winners don't use drugs" screen under the US region setting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winners_Don%27t_Use_Drugs

the correct name..
Texts, such as the name in the bios often show differently under different regions.

As for what's modified, I haven't really looked into it that much. I'll have to go back at some point and examine.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:05:12 AM by iq_132 »

Offline narcissus

• Newbies
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 03:34:02 PM »
Your soft dip shot is from the VC rom under Winkawaks ? (i could not find a full JAPAN bios for NeoRageX)
This isn't from a PROTO dump right ?
You can use Winkawaks yourself to make a try
But now I can't make it to show IRONCLAD... :S
I don't have the PROTO dump. I'm nobody so you don't believe me :redface:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 03:43:05 PM by narcissus »

Offline Haze

• MAME Devs
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 07:11:45 PM »
You can use Winkawaks yourself to make a try
But now I can't make it to show IRONCLAD... :S
I don't have the PROTO dump. I'm nobody so you don't believe me :redface:

It's fairly normal that some games won't allow you to change the region properly unless you invalidate / reset the nvram.

Sengkou 3 is a good example of this, once you run the game it sticks in the first region you run it as until you either invalidate the nvram in test mode, or delete the file.

Offline nonete

• Newbies
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 08:39:43 AM »
I compiled a FBA version with Ironclad support with last source code, I add this:

// Ironclad / Chotetsu Brikinger

static struct BurnRomInfo ironcladRomDesc[] = {
   { "220-p1.bin",   0x200000, 0x62a942c6, 1 | BRF_ESS | BRF_PRG }, //  0 68K code

{ "220-s1.bin",   0x020000, 0x372fe217, 2 | BRF_GRA },           //  1 Text layer tiles

{ "220-c1.bin",   0x400000, 0x9aa2b7dc, 3 | BRF_GRA },           //  2 Sprite data
   { "220-c2.bin",   0x400000, 0x8a2ad708, 3 | BRF_GRA },           //  3
   { "220-c3.bin",   0x400000, 0xd67fb15a, 3 | BRF_GRA },           //  4
   { "220-c4.bin",   0x400000, 0xe73ea38b, 3 | BRF_GRA },           //  5

{ "220-m1.bin",   0x020000, 0x3a08bb63, 4 | BRF_ESS | BRF_PRG }, // 10 Z80 code

{ "220-v1.bin",   0x400000, 0x8f30a215, 5 | BRF_SND },           // 11 Sound data
};

STDROMPICKEXT(ironclad, ironclad, neogeo)
STD_ROM_FN(ironclad)

struct BurnDriver BurnDrvironclad = {
   "ironclad", NULL, "neogeo", "1996",
   "Ironclad / Chotetsu Brikinger\0", NULL, "Saurus", "Neo Geo",
   NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL,
   BDF_GAME_WORKING, 2, HARDWARE_SNK_NEOGEO | HARDWARE_SNK_MVSCARTRIDGE | HARDWARE_SNK_SWAPP, GBF_HORSHOOT, 0,
   NULL, ironcladRomInfo, ironcladRomName, neogeoInputInfo, neogeoDIPInfo,
   NeoInit, NeoExit, NeoFrame, NeoRender, NeoScan, 0, NULL, NULL, NULL, &NeoRecalcPalette, 0x1000,
   320, 224, 4, 3
};

The game is working, but only with USA - Japan bios, with asia  or european doesn´t boot, also I notice a flickering in game intro.Are this thinks normal or I make a mistake adding the game to FBA?any correction in the driver?

Very Thanks!!!

Offline Asure

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 10:16:34 AM »
For kicks, i've gone about and extracted the VC versions of FF1, FF2 and Top Hunter. (The others i got my hands on, have some kind of .z compression on the game.bin, not allowing me to extract..)

Fatal Fury 1/2 are both exactly the same as the dumps released back in the day. But Top Hunter has some differences... <snip>
Actually it's not, it's just "SET 2" with the sha-1 matching up exactly the same.

I think we could say for certain this dump is 100% original from production-type hardware, that was just never produced.

To confirm the other argument about the Burikinger name, just delete nvram and set to Japanese, the soft-dip cart name also changes to Burikinger instead of Ironclad.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 11:06:13 AM by Asure »

Offline Johnboy

• Expert
    • http://johnboy.cjb.net
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »

Off topic:

MVS bootlegs are on sale.

Faster then I expected ...