Author Topic: MK Community needs the Wolf Unit Driver  (Read 65240 times)

Offline Black Shroud

Re: MK Community needs the Wolf Unit Driver
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2010, 09:33:14 AM »
Btw, 2DF Freeplay online service no longer passes under that name. It was renamed to Supercade
http://supercade.net/
and is different from 2DF in a sense (2DF used external client with built-in chat, pms, and had forum - while Supercade uses web-based interface instead of client, and lacks chat and forum - namely because those were heavily trolled on 2DF)

Its basically an alternative to GGPO, with many more games available  but slower netcode I believe (still better than kaillera servers), and starting from Supercade, interface differs significantly from GGPO. Usually 2DF/Supercade FBA version used is more up to date than GGPO one; because of that users can map more than one button shortcut on 2DF/Supercade but not on GGPO (which forces keyboard players to use external programs to achieve same effect on GGPO).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:36:14 AM by Black Shroud »

Offline 9.95

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2010, 03:14:05 PM »
Hey guys, I've been away all weekend at a major tournament in Philadelphia, Winter Brawl 4.  It was an amazing tournament, and we had UMK3, MK2, SFA2, SFA3, and Killer Instinct there.  SF4, Blazblue, Guilty Gear AC, Melty Blood Actress Again, SFIII 3rd Strike, Tekken 6, Dead or Alive 4, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, and other games were also played as well.

Anyway, just a few things I want to say based on what I've read.

Haze there are no duplicate accounts here as far as I know.  I'm a moderator on 3 different, well respected Mortal Kombat forums, and I know each and every member that has posted in this thread.  If you doubt that, please go to:
www.ultimatemk.com
www.classicmk.com
www.mortalkombatempires.com

there are also members from www.mortalkombatunited.com posting here as well.  Please feel free to log onto any of those forums and check each member to be sure that they are all uniquely different people who all post on these forums.  This is not "begging" for MK to be added to FBA...this is an entire community of players who sees how good an emulator is and is supporting the emulator, and attempting to show support to it's devs, that we would love to see our game of choice added to their emulator.  Again, I encourage you to check the above mentioned forums and see that a thread exists in each of them encouraging the members to support this idea here and show the devs that we support them(and are willing to help in any way possible) as well.

iq and Treble - I'm hoping that you two(along with all the other FBA devs) have seen that the MK community is very serious about wanting to see MK on your emulator.  I've read what has been shared between you and Haze, and I'm actually kind of hopeful that maybe it will be ok for code to be shared and you can use the code from MAME(with permission of course so there's no problem or conflict) in order to port even more games(including MK games...LOL) to FBA.  Please keep us informed on what's happening and where this is or may be going!

-Phil

Offline 9.95

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2010, 03:17:37 PM »
I don't often post here but just wanted to say that I'm impressed with the passionate support you guys are giving.

I completely missed this... and thank you... we really appreciate it.

Offline Shock

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2010, 03:28:54 PM »
I was also confused about the comment of making accounts to beg for this, it totally takes the thread down the wrong path. Everyone who has posted here and more is interested in a better way. If it can't be done, it can't be done, if you don't want to do it, that's another story but still your choice. I've been an avid fan of MAME since 2000 and FB since 2001 or 2002, and I know that CPS2 games run better on FB than MAME, everything from input response to frame rate. We were just looking for a better option.

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2010, 04:11:13 PM »
Hey guys, I've been away all weekend at a major tournament in Philadelphia, Winter Brawl 4.  It was an amazing tournament, and we had UMK3, MK2, SFA2, SFA3, and Killer Instinct there.  SF4, Blazblue, Guilty Gear AC, Melty Blood Actress Again, SFIII 3rd Strike, Tekken 6, Dead or Alive 4, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, and other games were also played as well.

Anyway, just a few things I want to say based on what I've read.

Haze there are no duplicate accounts here as far as I know.  I'm a moderator on 3 different, well respected Mortal Kombat forums, and I know each and every member that has posted in this thread.  If you doubt that, please go to:
www.ultimatemk.com
www.classicmk.com

there are also members from www.mortalkombatunited.com posting here as well.  Please feel free to log onto any of those forums and check each member to be sure that they are all uniquely different people who all post on these forums.  This is not "begging" for MK to be added to FBA...this is an entire community of players who sees how good an emulator is and is supporting the emulator, and attempting to show support to it's devs, that we would love to see our game of choice added to their emulator.  Again, I encourage you to check the above mentioned forums and see that a thread exists in each of them encouraging the members to support this idea here and show the devs that we support them(and are willing to help in any way possible) as well.

iq and Treble - I'm hoping that you two(along with all the other FBA devs) have seen that the MK community is very serious about wanting to see MK on your emulator.  I've read what has been shared between you and Haze, and I'm actually kind of hopeful that maybe it will be ok for code to be shared and you can use the code from MAME(with permission of course so there's no problem or conflict) in order to port even more games(including MK games...LOL) to FBA.  Please keep us informed on what's happening and where this is or may be going!

-Phil

From my point-of-view it doesn't matter if we have permission or not, I don't have the time or motivation to work on a Mortal Kombat driver for FBA. Not the answer you want but I can only be honest.
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline 9.95

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2010, 04:19:20 PM »
From my point-of-view it doesn't matter if we have permission or not, I don't have the time or motivation to work on a Mortal Kombat driver for FBA. Not the answer you want but I can only be honest.

I'd rather you be honest then to lead us on and let us chase something.  I appreciate the honesty.  Hopefully in the future you won't forget us and you'll eventually work on the driver as we really would like to see it in FBA.  Hopefully we'll have an external person who may be able to help you with it, or possibly another FBA dev who likes MK and might be motivated to help with the driver.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:20:58 PM by 9.95 »

Offline Shock

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »
I appreciate it as well, thank you for your time.

Offline Haze

• MAME Devs
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2010, 09:29:31 PM »
www.ultimatemk.com
www.classicmk.com

Ok, I acknowledge that it's more than one person, but it comes across as more of an invasion than people supporting an idea ;-)  Really, one post about it, with a link to the forums, showing why people would appreciate it would have been fine.  Getting multiple people to create accounts just to post here and ask for it looks closer to spamming and thread-bumping for attention ;-)

As I and others have said tho, FBA currently contains none of the components required for the MK series to work (aside from the Y unit versions of the original which had a more basic sound setup)  The TMS and ADSP series of chips which do the bulk fo the work are rather complex to emulate, and not easy to understand if you're more familiar with traditional CPUs.  I'm not even sure the MAME code would slot into FBA easily without some significant changes to FBA.

The problem is, there are an awful lot of things which CAN be emulated under FBA right now, using the cores that already exist and these targets are probably more rewarding for the developers than simply porting over more CPU cores from MAME where your scope for performance benefits is much lower.  I don't know if you're familiar with history, but if you go back to the days when 'EmuViews' was active, there would be rumours of a new 'faster' MK emulator every day of the week (at a time when the best PC on the market struggled to run MK1 at 30fps)  In the end, none were released, and PC hardware caught up with the emulation, the reason being simply that the chips are a real pain to emulate in the first place, nevermind quickly.  The people developing the standalone alternatives were finding that their framerate was the same, or sometimes worse than MAME.

Offline menthol

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2010, 10:40:41 PM »
MK Community needs the Wolf Unit. Thanks.

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2010, 11:23:34 PM »
MK Community needs the Wolf Unit. Thanks.

I need spaghetti. How are you going to resolve this?

Offline isamu

« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2010, 05:40:43 AM »
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously the lot of you didn't read *THIS THREAD*
GENTLEMEN: START YOUR ENGINES!!

Daytona USA is emulated for the PC.

*NOTHING more needs to be said*

Offline isamu

« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2010, 04:10:18 AM »
The game runs, speed wise, just fine... but there are just somethings that aren't the greatest with MAME in general, such as being so user-unfriendly and so bad regarding netplay with kaillera.  I think that one of the biggest things that all of us are so interested in, is seeing it get supported by FBA so that it would have better netplay via 2df/supercade and GGPO.  Currently, p2p kaillera is not the best, its better than normal kaillera, but there are so many problems, whereas 2df/supercade and GGPO are so user friendly and the netplay is so fast and so smooth that it's very attractive to anyone who uses them... including MK players.

9.9, even if the MK games were supported(will never happen but let's say hypothetically), that does not mean Ponder would automatically add them to GGPO. Ponder adds games when he wants and it is up to him which games he adds. Just look at what happened a couple days ago...Ponder added Samurai Shodown IV. A game no one thought would get added. Everyone assumed it would be SSVsp but it wasn't. Not even guaranteed he will ever add SSVsp! He probably just added it because he likes the game and there's nothing wrong with that.

If Ponder is someone who hates the Mortal Kombat games, then I'd say the chances of him deciding to add them to ggpo would be slim *if* this was an alternative universe they were added to FBA. So that's even DOUBLE the reason not to get your hopes up LOL!

Offline sushi07

« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2010, 06:25:45 AM »
die hard mk fan here. I support and will donate for the cause. 

Offline isamu

« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2010, 02:30:21 AM »
die hard mk fan here. I support and will donate for the cause.

sorry brah, but don't hold your breath. It never EVER going to happen. Ever! I'm willing to bet my ******** on it.

Offline Haze

• MAME Devs
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2010, 05:43:46 PM »
sorry brah, but don't hold your breath. It never EVER going to happen. Ever! I'm willing to bet my ******** on it.

Yeah I think there's about as much chance of them integrating the Supermodel code Ville posted on his WIP page, and emulating Model 3 as there is of them porting the MK driver.  (and it's probably a similar amount of work...)