Author Topic: Is some one porting the Final burn for embedded platform?  (Read 40401 times)

Offline niabi

• Newbies
Re: Is some one porting the Final burn for embedded platform?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 06:26:56 PM »
I've reported it to google. From experience they are pretty good at removing stuff from the store.

we should all do this :) I Am going to do it right now

kev

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 05:17:03 PM »
Google emailed me saying the app has been removed from the Play store. If anyone notices any more paid builds please post here so I can get those taken down as well.

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 09:05:12 PM »
Well, judging by the comments on that xda-developers thread it isn't just the author that is biting the hand that feeds it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1932280&page=8

Reply to iq_132's post:Well thanks to you. US people who wanted to donate for his troubles of a nice UI and his part in the android port have to now spend time searching for updates. You won't stop him working on it and giving it for free, all you have achieved is making life harder for the gamers. Thanks alot, some people are such kill joys. This world's bad enough as it is without moaners like you. Don't Care what bull crap you come up with about licences. Your code was the free part. His UI and time we paid for.

@Cpasjuste thanks for your work and was happy to donate to you

Damn, and I thought the PS3 scene was a cesspool of scum.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:06:31 PM by Twinaphex »

Offline niabi

• Newbies
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 10:38:24 PM »
Google emailed me saying the app has been removed from the Play store. If anyone notices any more paid builds please post here so I can get those taken down as well.

ah good, they didn't email me, but I also reported it :D I am just glad they have sense on this

Offline niabi

• Newbies
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 05:03:01 AM »
"Originally Posted by Cpasjuste 
Well actually you can say whaterver you want, you can cry everywhere but aFBA is not linked nor derivated in anyway to FBA and so google did remove it without valuable reason. I'll fill a complaint right now and see how it goes.

Anyway aFBA will remain updated and free here."

holy damn that guy is a total douche! now he is saying it not derivated in any way from FBA? :S the nerve on some people :(

kev

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 09:25:52 AM »

Just to be extra cunty, i've asked google to remove the afbalib thing as well, as it's missing source and violating the licence.

Offline niabi

• Newbies
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 03:51:37 AM »
and it worked :) afbalib is no longer on the play store either.

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 03:35:26 AM »
Just wanted to let you guys know - his entire account may be pulled from the store - but now his free version on that xda-developers thread has Google Adsense ads plastered all over it. So he is still making side-channel revenue off FBA.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1932280&page=15

Quote from: floopyb
You now use Push notification ads for this app... this is VERY BAD. Unfortunately i will uninstall this until push notifications are disabled. Adding this is not good. Please get rid of it. I will happily donate or deal with normal ads but I cannot put up with Push Ads!

Yep, many thanks for the support, it's nice to have positive feedbacks in early morning For the ads yes, there is one full ads when you first launch the frontend, and one push notification per day which can be disabled if you run android 4.1.2. I guess people can survive to it
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:42:25 AM by Twinaphex »

Offline niabi

• Newbies
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
he already got booted:
- aFBA:
A closed source frontend/launcher for libafba. It is used to explore your device for roms in a "cool" way: optimized for phone and tablets, show/hide clones, filter roms by name, show previews and information about the game, and many more to come. This project is now Ad's supported since my google developper account was definitively suspended for not taking the time to releases libafba sources on day zero (well and other related drama, if you want to read this whole thread).

he also posted the source

- libafba:
A port of Final Burn Alpha to android. FBA support multiple systems, including Cave, Neo Geo, Sega System 16 (and similar), System 18, CPS-1, CPS-2, CPS-3, X-Board, Y-Board, Toaplan, Taito, Psikyo 68EC020 based hardware and misc boards. This project is released under the FBA licence, and source code is hosted on github.

I think that is good :) but he is still (sorta) making money out of it :S
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:56:33 PM by niabi »

kev

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »
That's quite annoying. Historically people making money from FBA (other than the rom copyright holders) tends to kill it stone cold dead, at least for a while.

Offline Haze

• MAME Devs
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 08:02:59 AM »
I imagine you'll see it more and more because (due to performance etc.) FBA is better positioned for the 'cool' platforms like mobiles than MAME is and there are always people wanting to make money out of that.

Of course it doesn't stop people still trying to push 10+ year old versions of MAME saying that their Raspberry Pi kits are a perfect emulation system....

Google know about MAME anyway and have even been contributing to it as of late (changes to make their native Chrome version easier to maintain) so I guess there are people there who aren't stupid, know FBA is somewhat related, and will be more than happy to pull clear violations if asked.

kev

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 05:32:04 PM »
I hope so Haze. The fact that this guy has the guts to try and profit from the FBA project (which includes MAME, Davey, the current and past developers and the rom copyright holders) is beyond aggravating.

Half the fun with FBA is porting it to other systems (which is sometimes is borderline very dodgy at best) so the fact that this guy has done it probably one of the only legal ways its been done and not released the code is twice as annoying.

All for the sake of what amounts to probably the cost of 4 pints of beer he's caused us and himself a lot of grief.

Offline niabi

• Newbies
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 10:07:45 PM »
He released the code to libafta, someone should make an open source front-end for it, that would probably kill his idea of getting money if there is an open source front end. I would do it if I was more skilled :(
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 11:55:30 PM by niabi »

Offline Twinaphex

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2012, 02:21:01 AM »
He released the code to libafta, someone should make an open source front-end for it, that would probably kill his idea of getting money if there is an open source front end. I would do it if I was more skilled :(

Actually, that could be a job for libretro and RetroArch since RetroArch has been designed to work with dynamic/shared libraries to begin with.

However, libretro FBA already runs way better than his own FBA port (the port couldn't have been more lazily made to be honest) so after RetroArch gets released on Android I honestly don't see why you would want to suffer through Push ads or pay for any of the other 'payware emus' - the way to combat this is to simply undercut it by providing a better free alternative.

That, and if I push libretro FBA with the recent Android changes upstream, there should be even less incentive from these people to try to make a profit from it since a very good version of FBA for Android will be available in mainline.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 02:26:08 AM by Twinaphex »

Offline trickytree

• Newbies
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2012, 05:11:09 AM »
Sounds great Twinaphex. Do you have an approximate release date for libretro FBA?