General > News

neo-source forum news thread!

<< < (3/6) > >>

Barry Harris:
Even Google is only just starting to give any priority to https in search rankings. It will be years before browsers start forcing it.

Heck, browsers are only just starting to take the whole startssl mess seriously and start to not trust those certificates.

hursit:
it has been updated :)
thanks....

jan_klaassen:
My impression has been that they'd like to switch to secure connections, but the staggering number of badly configured servers won't let them -- you can't silently fail in this case (duh). The other problem has been (a lack of) trustworthy free certificates, but letsencrypt.com should help there (before both of the the startssl debacles there was the cacert debacle, etc).

I've mostly dealt with dedicated servers, so I'm not much help with vhost type setups (except to point out they don't work of course).

Barry Harris:

--- Quote from: jan_klaassen on December 17, 2017, 04:17:38 PM ---My impression has been that they'd like to switch to secure connections, but the staggering number of badly configured servers won't let them -- you can't silently fail in this case (duh). The other problem has been (a lack of) trustworthy free certificates, but letsencrypt.com should help there (before both of the the startssl debacles there was the cacert debacle, etc).

I've mostly dealt with dedicated servers, so I'm not much help with vhost type setups (except to point out they don't work of course).

--- End quote ---

It's an issue with vhosting, which is obviously very prevalent. Hence why google are moving very slowly and browers even slower.

Letsencypt might help. But most people avoid it due to the constant renewal process and the need to run their middleware on the server.

jan_klaassen:
I could type lots about the Bad Things that happen when an idiot rents a server with Plesk on it. But I won't and you've probably seen your share of it anyway. I will say that if letsencrypt works, then shut up and install the %$%^ middleware already. Puppies and unicorns will ensue. Or at least a more secure internet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version