Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 760532 times)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
So, whats new the last couple days..  I've been playtesting & testing a lot lately to make sure everything done lately is up to speed, so not too much new I'm afraid.  Anyways, here goes:

Mustache Boy was walking too slow, get him walking at the right speed by tweaking the irq's.
A couple minor improvements to the System macro's and auto-fire code.
In the input editor: change the "Cancel" button to "Clear Input", use the X on the top-right of the window to Cancel. - Because sometimes the input needs to be cleared.  Note: if the input keeps coming back after reloading the game, that key is probably set up in a default preset, or for some inputs FBA will auto-populate default values.  I'll try to come up with a better solution for this in the future, but in the meantime, the clear input feature is quite handy for macros and auto-fire keys.

p.s. The forum is back - hooray!!

best regards & happy gaming,
- dink
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:41:45 AM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
After some thinking, I came up with some..
New input editor features!! :)

Ability to clear an input
Ability to clear-lock an input, so that a preset or system default value won't fill it in the next time you reload the game or preset.

The attached images show the new functionality in action :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:55:26 PM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
Fixed up the game S.S. Mission in the nmk16 driver a bit: the music tempo was too slow, it made annoying clicks when your ship fired and banking issues when savestates were used.

... a few hours later:

Music in Twin Action and Dolmen (nmk16) would cut out on level 2+, fixed sample loading & banking method & tweaked the irq's similar to nmk004.

Will this be the end to the bugs in nmk16?
.... is that even possible?  !

The day everything in nmk16 is perfect will be a great day indeed :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Fixed up the game S.S. Mission in the nmk16 driver a bit: the music tempo was too slow, it made annoying clicks when your ship fired and banking issues when savestates were used.

... a few hours later:

Music in Twin Action and Dolmen (nmk16) would cut out on level 2+, fixed sample loading & banking method & tweaked the irq's similar to nmk004.

Will this be the end to the bugs in nmk16?
.... is that even possible?  !

The day everything in nmk16 is perfect will be a great day indeed :)

best regards,
- dink
I'm planning on re-writing the nmk16 driver to implement a few dozen or so bugs. :D

Offline dink

• Administrator
Patience Robert :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
Hey friends & fans of FBA, just a couple small changes today - barely worth mentioning..

Finally fixed a longstanding issue w/Green Beret where some notes/sfx would hang.  woohoo! :)
Tweaked loverboy a bit, now the game won't harm your ears.  Removed the "No sound" note.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Toki was in much nead of some love..
between me and iq_132, I think we got the game 100% now!
yesterday iq got the cool titlescreen effect working, but the fix had a side effect of causing some text in the game to go missing, esp. at the bootup screen.
Did some tweaking a little to get the text back, and got the msm6295 samples to play!  Big thanks again to Zazzone for letting me know about them being missing.

Then the mess that is/was K054539 - Konami's sample synth.  I spent almost the entire day and previous night on it alone.
First there was a crash in it with Mystic Warriors.  Fixed that crash, but some sounds were missing.
Got some of the missing sounds to work, but I played Mystic W. in MAME, and realized even more sounds were missing, turns out our K054539 core was too outdated, crusty and beyond repair.
Ported the latest K054539Update() from MAME, and all sound-related problems solved. :)

Well, I'm kinda burnt out for today, gonna continue working on things tomorow!

best regards,
- dink

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Thank you! I was dreading going back and fixing that. You know how I am. lol
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:47:52 PM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
iq_132 - its good teamwork, thats all :D

best regards,
- dink aka oops, wrong button!

Offline dink

• Administrator
Thanks to gamezfan (and a little bit of updating from me), we'll have Zero Team in the next FBA :)

Offline JacKc

• FBNeo Dev
  • Hasta la vista, Baby !

Offline dink

• Administrator
Hello friends & fans of FBA,
I've been taking a much-needed vacation from code & debugging to finally play some games!!
The other day whilst hanging out on irc, iq_132 mentioned I should try a game called Biomechanical Toy, I got sorta hooked on this one, so I'm passing the info along and I suggest anyone that likes run 'n gun platformers to give it a try.

Then there's Zero Team, this game is really awesome.  There are a couple small issues with this game that are related to the protection and are currently unfixable that I should mention, but despite the issues - the game is still pretty damn awesome.  If you're a Double Dragon fan, give it a try.  Oh yea, the issues - you can "walk through" barrels & crates, and at the end of level 5, the game pauses for about 20 seconds - you might think its locked up, don't worry - it'll go to a cutscene then continue to the next level after a few more seconds.  That's it.. They don't really detract from the gameplay at all!

And a little post-release FBA "behind the scenes" info: JacKc's been going through the Megadrive games one-by-one and tidying up a bit, iq_132 fixed some layer alignment issues in Metamorphic Force which fixes that neat color-ring effect at the level-1 boss and intro/attract sequences, and me.. I tweaked the effect volume for Nostradomus and Magical Cat Adventure - as there were some ear-piercing sounds that needed a bit of level adjustment.

That's it for now...
best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:11:07 AM by dink »

Offline Freddy

Hello friends & fans of FBA,
I've been taking a much-needed vacation from code & debugging to finally play some games!!
The other day whilst hanging out on irc, iq_132 mentioned I should try a game called Biomechanical Toy, I got sorta hooked on this one, so I'm passing the info along and I suggest anyone that likes run 'n gun platformers to give it a try.

Yeah dink, it's time to enjoy the work.
I will try Biomechanical Toy... And also recommend other run and guns games: The Adventures of Batman and Robin and Robocop vs Terminator... Hard games, dude!  Ah, Gunforce 2!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:01:11 PM by Freddy »

Offline dink

• Administrator
Double Dragon 2 on Megadrive is fixed now :D

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
More fixes for today:
Surprise Attack (Konami) - player was moving sluggishly.  (moved irq to vbl-in)
Sunset Riders flickering status & score revisited, previous fix only fixed player1, not 2,3 or 4. (moved irq to vbl-out & tweaked interlace)

best regards,
- dink