Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 760998 times)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Here's my super-bug list.  All these bugs were verified on November 11, 2014...
x: Battle Shark still crashes/hangs at the end of level 1 (sometimes) & the cool Taito intro rasterfx are messed up (like Toki's titlescreen before we fixed it) FIXED! Nov 15, 2014
x: Pooyan is missing sounds: pigs marching, bubbles popping (needs filters hooked up like in the Galaxian driver) FIXED
x: DJ Boy - screen goes weird -like boot-up colors- after intro/attract mode repeats a few times, just hold ffwd for a bit.[/b] (probably can't be fixed)
x: Ken-go won't boot, needs separate irq routines(?) FIXED: Dec. 1, 2014
x: Staticky/bad noises in some Neo-Geo games with fm interpolation on (Art of Fighting, Football Frenzy, etc) FIXED: Dec. 2, 2014
x: Bucky O'Hare - music is broken FIXED: Dec 21, 2014
x: Gyruss - music is broken (it will play really really fast, then just stop... sometimes during the game) FIXED!!!!!!!!!!
x: Backfire crashes during boot - go to service mode -> game settings -> set single screen & exit, then reload fba, go back to service mode and try setting it to dual screen. (sooner or later it'll crash)
x: d_lwings.cpp: Trojan and Section Z have varying tempo in the FM (YM) music. (possibly because of the msm changing interlace?)FIXED: November 22, 2014
x: Dragon Breed(Both versions)  & ALL other m72 games with samples - the pcm samples have clicks in them. (at the beginning are most noticable) FIXED: Dec. 1, 2014
x: Terra Cresta - music plays way too fast FIXED: Jan 5, 2015
x: Mobile suit gundam - bad sound, left channel buzzing noise (maybe just needs some vol.tweaks)
x: dreamwld.c: Dream World screen freezes when player dies.
x: Kabuki-Z - start a game, and go to the right a bit, and you'll see some pretty heavily distored tiles going on in the background.
x: Mr. Heli (d_m72) graphics glitcheryFIXED: Dec 2, 2014 (revised Jan. 3, 2015)

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 05:25:12 PM by dink »

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
x: Backfire crashes during boot
Can't verify this one here. It works fine with every video mode, different bit depths, etc. :S

Offline JacKc

• FBNeo Dev
  • Hasta la vista, Baby !
x: Backfire crashes during boot

No problemo here dink  :cool:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:48:58 AM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
Oops, heres the full reproduction scenario:  (I forgot to delete my nvram and try from scratch! sorry!)
Go into service mode, set game options to 1 screen, get out of service mode and into game mode.
Exit game
Load game again, crash!

EDIT: it seems like the game only crashes on the second load.  Once FBA is restarted, it will happily run Backfire in a single screen :)
EDIT2: now, going back to service mode again, and selecting 2 screens, FBA crash again.

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:58:41 AM by dink »

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Oops, heres the full reproduction scenario:  (I forgot to delete my nvram and try from scratch! sorry!)
Go into service mode, set game options to 1 screen, get out of service mode and into game mode.
Exit game
Load game again, crash!

EDIT: it seems like the game only crashes on the second load.  Once FBA is restarted, it will happily run Backfire in a single screen :)
EDIT2: now, going back to service mode again, and selecting 2 screens, FBA crash again.

best regards,
- dink
The single screen hack is about to go away. That will fix this. :(

Offline dink

• Administrator
The single screen hack is about to go away. That will fix this. :(

noooooo! it just needs a little tweaking :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
Some games like Gradius, when the screen gets busy, the slowdown actually is beneficial to your game, that is unfortunately not the case with FACE shooters.  I added a little OC tweak to Nostradamus, then played the game from beginning to end - its much better now :)  The horribly-unplayable slowdown has now become beneficial slowdown - its still there, but not as bad.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Battle Shark is now completely fixed - got rid of that hang by moving the 10k-cycle INT6 timer into DrvTaitoZFrame(), its kinda simple really, just a few lines of code :)

Now I just need to test the other games that use the same timer mechanism & take action if necessary..

Scratched from my failure bugfix list!  C'mon guys, I need some help with the others! (clicky!)

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 07:20:56 PM by dink »

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
Battle Shark is now completely fixed - got rid of that hang by moving the 10k-cycle INT6 timer into DrvTaitoZFrame(), its kinda simple really, just a few lines of code :)

Now I just need to test the other games that use the same timer mechanism & take action if necessary..

best regards,
- dink

Lovely Work dink a long long standing issue finally fixed i'll happily test those games for ya ;)

Offline SeiferAlmasy

• MAME's FAN (Since 1997)
    • vgBR - Videogames Brasil
amazing... good work dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Thanks guys!
Some more news...
Turns out Night Striker and Space Gun are succeptible to the hang also.  The hang in Night Striker happened 3/4 through level 1, and Space gun, right after you get to the first point where you can chose which way to go.  erm.  I don't know if these hangs were always there, or the new Musashi core brought it to light.. but the good news is, they're fixed now too :)
Space Gun, this is one unfair game.. designed to do nothing but take quarters..  Guess they knew what they were doing, eh?

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
and today...
Sokonuke - Fixed crash (or reset) when the game starts (.128u1 patch for Musashi) & fixed the audio panning - it was only coming out of the left speaker.

Offline csmart

Great job as always Dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Spent a couple hours trying to get music synched properly in Pang - what a tricky b*stard - I finally managed to get it though! :)

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Zero Team USA (zeroteam) bad sprites priorities

Same in mame.